Old 07-31-2010, 03:17 PM
"H.S."

Default CNN vidoes no playable in iceape (mozilla browser)

Hello.

Anyone else having trouble playing videos on CCN website? I don't
frequent it and am not sure if this happens with all the vidoes there.
On Debian Testing amd64, in iceape with flashplayer, flashblock,
noscript and adblock installed, I am not able to play the video linked
on this news article:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/30/afghanistan.wikileaks/index.html?hpt=T2

I have allowed cnn.com and turner.com in my noscripts controls, but the
video page does not appear to load at all.

All other vidoes appear to work. BBC and youtube works, for example.

Meahwhile, I am searching if I can find that same interview with Assange
somewhere else, but no luck yet.

Thanks.

ever having been read.

Archive: i31eqq$vrr$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i31eqq$vrr$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-31-2010, 04:15 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:17:45 -0400, H.S. wrote:

> Anyone else having trouble playing videos on CCN website? I don't
> frequent it and am not sure if this happens with all the vidoes there.
> On Debian Testing amd64, in iceape with flashplayer, flashblock,
> noscript and adblock installed, I am not able to play the video linked
> on this news article:
> http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/30/afghanistan.wikileaks/index.html?hpt=T2

(...)

Does it play if you disable Iceape add-ons (flashblock, noscript and
adblock)?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-31-2010, 10:02 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 11:17:45 -0400, H.S. wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Anyone else having trouble playing videos on CCN website? I don't
> frequent it and am not sure if this happens with all the vidoes
> there. On Debian Testing amd64, in iceape with flashplayer,
> flashblock, noscript and adblock installed, I am not able to play
> the video linked on this news article:
> http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/30/afghanistan.wikileaks/index.html?hpt=T2

I can play it on my Sid system (iceweasel 3.6.7 form experimental,
flashplayer-mozilla 1:10.1.53.64-0.0, flashblock 1.5.13, noscript 2.0)

> I have allowed cnn.com and turner.com in my noscripts controls, but
> the video page does not appear to load at all.

I did that, too, and then I clicked on the flashblock placeholder icon
for the video; it loaded and played normally.

Note that I have my user agent string set to "Firefox/3.6.7"; I have
found that some websites send you IE-specific, broken HTML if the user
agent is, for example, "Iceweasel" instead of "Firefox". (I did not test
if this is the case for CNN, though.)

> All other vidoes appear to work. BBC and youtube works, for example.
>
> Meahwhile, I am searching if I can find that same interview with
> Assange somewhere else, but no luck yet.

Executive summary: Assange cordially invites the 22nd United States
Secretary of Defense to kiss him where the sun does not shine.

--
Regards, |
Florian |

Old 08-01-2010, 03:06 AM
"H.S."

I did that, too, and then I clicked on the flashblock placeholder icon
for the video; it loaded and played normally.

Yes, that is due to flashblock, I have to click that too to let
flashplayer do its job. Didn't work on cnn for me.

Note that I have my user agent string set to "Firefox/3.6.7"; I have
found that some websites send you IE-specific, broken HTML if the user
agent is, for example, "Iceweasel" instead of "Firefox". (I did not test
if this is the case for CNN, though.)

Well, that might be the problem then, since I created a brand new test
profile, disable the extensions and tried the video without any luck. So
I doubt it is the extensions' problem. Probably is the identification
string issue. I will check as soon as I can.

Executive summary: Assange cordially invites the 22nd United States
Secretary of Defense to kiss him where the sun does not shine.

Ah! Right.

Thanks.

ever having been read.