Old 07-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Guo Jiahua

Default How is 'pppd' launched while starting

Hi, everyone,
I'm a user of DEBIAN 5.0. And I use adsl to connect to the Internet. I
think pppd is the key program to connect.
My ISP requires a MAC address which is different from my laptop.
So, I think, I must change the MAC address (by using command "ip link
set ethX address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX") before pppd launched when starting
up
Thus, I wander how is pppd launched while linux starting, by a script in
'/etc/rc*.d/' or in other way.
Thank you very much.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:50 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sb, 31 iul 10, 05:12:13, Guo Jiahua wrote:
> Hi, everyone,
> I'm a user of DEBIAN 5.0. And I use adsl to connect to the Internet. I
> think pppd is the key program to connect.
> My ISP requires a MAC address which is different from my laptop.
> So, I think, I must change the MAC address (by using command "ip link
> set ethX address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX") before pppd launched when starting
> up
> Thus, I wander how is pppd launched while linux starting, by a script in
> '/etc/rc*.d/' or in other way.
> Thank you very much.

Please give more details about your setup. ADSL implies you have some
modem, but those usually don't care about your MAC. Do you have an
ethernet cable from your ISP going directly to your computer and then
you have to use PPPoE? Have a look at /etc/network/interfaces and
'man interfaces'.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Camalen

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 05:20:59 +0800, Guo Jiahua wrote:

> I'm a user of DEBIAN 5.0. And I use adsl to connect to the Internet. I
> think pppd is the key program to connect. My ISP requires a MAC address
> which is different from my laptop. So, I think, I must change the MAC
> address (by using command "ip link set ethX address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX")
> before pppd launched when starting up
> Thus, I wander how is pppd launched while linux starting, by a script in
> '/etc/rc*.d/' or in other way.
> Thank you very much.

So, basically you want to clone the MAC address of one device to another,
right? I've read about that option which is mostly included in some
neutral routers (wan routers for adsl and cable).

Check if that helps:

***
Working with MAC addresses
***

Not sure if that will also work with "pppoe" links :-?

BTW, I think network scripts are placed under "/etc/network/if-up.d/*" or
"/etc/network/pre-up.d/*".

Additional information:

***
5.5.11. The PPPoE connection
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch05.en.html#_the_pppoe_connection
***

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 07-31-2010, 11:20 PM
Osamu Aoki

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 05:12:13AM +0800, Guo Jiahua wrote:
> Hi, everyone,
> I'm a user of DEBIAN 5.0. And I use adsl to connect to the Internet. I
> think pppd is the key program to connect.
> My ISP requires a MAC address which is different from my laptop.

MAC ? IN what way they require MAC address? What are they using?

Is this MAC adress the one for your home gateway router or your home
gateway router limits you only to this?

> So, I think, I must change the MAC address (by using command "ip link
> set ethX address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX") before pppd launched when starting
> up
> Thus, I wander how is pppd launched while linux starting, by a script in
> '/etc/rc*.d/' or in other way.
> Thank you very much.

Does your system connect directly by pppoe?

If ISP supplys gateway machine, you may need dhcp to connect to it. I
know some home wireless router limit MAC address.

See http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html

Osamu

Old 08-01-2010, 07:07 AM
Guo Jiahua

Hi, everyone,
My problem is solved, by editing '/etc/network/interfaces', and insert a
command:

iface ethX inet manual
pre-up /bin/ip link set $IFACE address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

Thanks for all of you for your help, especially Andrei Popescu,
Camaleón, and Osamu Aoki.

在 2010-07-31*的 05:20 +0800,Guo Jiahua写道: