Old 07-30-2010, 09:20 PM
"H.S."

Default hypervisor choices on Debian Testing amd64

I am thinking of installing a couple of virtual machines on my Debian
Testing amd64 system. I am trying to find out what choices in
hypervisors do I have to accomplish that. One open source choice is Xen.
Vmware is another choice, but not open source.

I am sort of banking towards Xen. There are instructions on the web on
how to install the amd64 version of it on Testing. I intend to install
at least Windows XP and Windows 7. I presume there will be factors at
play what kind of virtual machine I install, x86 versus x86_64, on my
AM3 socket (using AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 B55 Processor) motherboard. (?)

Any other choices? What do people on Debian usually use? Can you give
tips what to look out for?

Thanks.

ever having been read.

Archive: i2vfm4$8kc$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i2vfm4$8kc$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Gilles Mocellin

Le Friday 30 July 2010 23:20:04 H.S., vous avez écrit :
> I am thinking of installing a couple of virtual machines on my Debian
> Testing amd64 system. I am trying to find out what choices in
> hypervisors do I have to accomplish that. One open source choice is Xen.
> Vmware is another choice, but not open source.
>
> I am sort of banking towards Xen. There are instructions on the web on
> how to install the amd64 version of it on Testing. I intend to install
> at least Windows XP and Windows 7. I presume there will be factors at
> play what kind of virtual machine I install, x86 versus x86_64, on my
> AM3 socket (using AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 B55 Processor) motherboard. (?)
>
> Any other choices? What do people on Debian usually use? Can you give
> tips what to look out for?
>
> Thanks.

The most straight virtualisation solution on Debian testing (squeeze) is KVM.
You can use virt-manager and libvirt to manage the VMs.

PS:
virt-manager can also manage Xen VMs.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:31 PM
"H.S."

The most straight virtualisation solution on Debian testing (squeeze) is KVM.
You can use virt-manager and libvirt to manage the VMs.

PS:
virt-manager can also manage Xen VMs.

Thanks for these suggestions. I am looking into these as well.
Regards.

ever having been read.