Old 07-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Mark

Default Laptop battery draining in Lenny

I am curious how others on this list manage their laptop batteries while using Debian.* From doing some research, there doesn't appear to be many (if any) software solutions for draining a laptop battery completely, before recharging.* So what do people on this list do - just keep running Debian on battery power until the battery totally dies, which sometimes doesn't give you ample time to shut down properly?* Or do you shutdown* when the battery reaches, say, 5%?

I just ordered a few laptop battery replacements off ebay and would like to manage them better than the ones I inherited, which were mostly dead by the time I got them.

Thanks for any ideas.

Mark

Old 07-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Michael Iatrou

When the date was Friday 30 of July 2010, Mark wrote:

> I am curious how others on this list manage their laptop batteries while
> using Debian. From doing some research, there doesn't appear to be many
> (if any) software solutions for draining a laptop battery completely,
> before recharging. So what do people on this list do - just keep
> running Debian on battery power until the battery totally dies, which
> sometimes doesn't give you ample time to shut down properly? Or do you
> shutdown when the battery reaches, say, 5%?

Just use a resistor to fully discharge the battery.

Michael

Old 07-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Mike Viau

I am curious how others on this list manage their laptop batteries while using Debian.* From doing some research, there doesn't appear to be many (if any) software solutions for draining a laptop battery completely, before recharging.* So what do people on this list do - just keep running Debian on battery power until the battery totally dies, which sometimes doesn't give you ample time to shut down properly?* Or do you shutdown* when the battery reaches, say, 5%?

I just ordered a few laptop battery replacements off ebay and would like to manage them better than the ones I inherited, which were mostly dead by the time I got them.

Thanks for any ideas.

Mark

I use Tp_smapi (if you have a thinkpad that is compatible).

It is available at: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tp_smapi

Then I run a script like this to load the kernel modules on-demand:

modprobe tp_smapi
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
******* echo "Error loading tp_smapi"
fi
if [ $? -eq 0* ]; then
******* echo "Loaded tp_smapi"
fi

modprobe hdaps
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
******* echo "Error loading hdaps"
fi
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
******* echo "Loaded hdaps"
fi
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
******* echo "Loaded hdaps"
fi

sleep 1
echo "Setting up BAT0 charging thesholds"
echo 40 > /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/start_charge_thresh
echo 70 > /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/stop_charge_thresh

I would be interested in knowing if other similar kernel modules exist to set laptop battery charging thresh-holds whether they be vendor specific or generic.

-M

Turn down-time into play-time with Messenger games Play Now!

Old 07-31-2010, 12:08 AM
Christian Jaeger

2010/7/30 Mark <mamarcac@gmail.com>:
> Or do you shutdown* when the battery
> reaches, say, 5%?
>
> I just ordered a few laptop battery replacements

I guess you're talking about Lithium ion or Lithium polymer batteries
(as all modern devices are using either of those)? Then you do rather
*not* want to deep discharge them often, or at least not leave them in
this state for a long time. They are said to live longest when about
half full. Unlike NiCd batteries they exhibit no memory effect, so
there is no use for deep discharge except occasionally to let the
electronic fuel gauge recalibrate itself so that the displayed charge
percentage is correct. Aside keeping them half full and keeping them
at cool temperatures, you can do nothing to prevent those batteries
from loosing capacity over time, they age whatever you do.

Ch.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:51 AM
Gilbert Sullivan

I just ordered a few laptop battery replacements

I guess you're talking about Lithium ion or Lithium polymer batteries
(as all modern devices are using either of those)? Then you do rather
*not* want to deep discharge them often, or at least not leave them in
this state for a long time. They are said to live longest when about
half full. Unlike NiCd batteries they exhibit no memory effect, so
there is no use for deep discharge except occasionally to let the
electronic fuel gauge recalibrate itself so that the displayed charge
percentage is correct. Aside keeping them half full and keeping them
at cool temperatures, you can do nothing to prevent those batteries
from loosing capacity over time, they age whatever you do.

I was going to post exactly this opinion earlier in the day when a
work-related issue interrupted me. I'm not going to claim engineering
level expertise in this matter, but I've been using laptop / notebook
computers as my primary systems since the time when they first became
available. IIRC deep discharge cycling of these more recent batteries is
not what you want to prolong their life-spans. That was the game we
played with NiCad batteries to prevent them from developing "memory"
issues which caused them to think they were low on charge when they were
actually at 40-50% charge. The newer battery and battery charging
circuit technologies have rendered that strategy obsolete, I think.

Archive: 4C537384.8040208@comcast.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C537384.8040208@comcast.net

Old 07-31-2010, 01:01 AM
Mark

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 5:08 PM, Christian Jaeger <chrjae@gmail.com> wrote:

2010/7/30 Mark <mamarcac@gmail.com>:

> Or do you shutdown* when the battery

> reaches, say, 5%?

> I just ordered a few laptop battery replacements

I guess you're talking about Lithium ion or Lithium polymer batteries

(as all modern devices are using either of those)? Then you do rather

*not* want to deep discharge them often, or at least not leave them in

this state for a long time. They are said to live longest when about

half full. Unlike NiCd batteries they exhibit no memory effect, so

there is no use for deep discharge except occasionally to let the

electronic fuel gauge recalibrate itself so that the displayed charge

percentage is correct. Aside keeping them half full and keeping them

at cool temperatures, you can do nothing to prevent those batteries

from loosing capacity over time, they age whatever you do.

Thank you Christian.* Correct, Li-ion is the discussion here.* So is there a way to keep the battery in the laptop, without it charging to 100%?* Both machines in this case are Dell's, one Inspiron and one XPS, both 5+ years old.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:10 AM
Christian Jaeger

2010/7/30 Mark <mamarcac@gmail.com>:
> Thank you Christian.* Correct, Li-ion is the discussion here.* So is there a
> way to keep the battery in the laptop, without it charging to 100%?* Both
> machines in this case are Dell's, one Inspiron and one XPS, both 5+ years
> old.

Yes, see the Tp_smapi link posted above (although I still haven't used
it myself, because of lazyness and because a fully charged battery can
be useful too .

Ch.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:29 AM
Mark

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Christian Jaeger <chrjae@gmail.com> wrote:

2010/7/30 Mark <mamarcac@gmail.com>:

> Thank you Christian.* Correct, Li-ion is the discussion here.* So is there a

> way to keep the battery in the laptop, without it charging to 100%?* Both

> machines in this case are Dell's, one Inspiron and one XPS, both 5+ years

> old.

Yes, see the Tp_smapi link posted above (although I still haven't used

it myself, because of lazyness and because a fully charged battery can

be useful too .

Unless I'm reading the ThinkWiki wrong Tp_smapi is not compatible with my machines...

Old 07-31-2010, 01:30 AM
Lawrence Cadden

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 9:10 PM, Christian Jaeger <chrjae@gmail.com> wrote:

2010/7/30 Mark <mamarcac@gmail.com>:

> Thank you Christian.* Correct, Li-ion is the discussion here.* So is there a
> way to keep the battery in the laptop, without it charging to 100%?* Both
> machines in this case are Dell's, one Inspiron and one XPS, both 5+ years

> old.

Yes, see the Tp_smapi link posted above (although I still haven't used
it myself, because of lazyness and because a fully charged battery can
be useful too .

Ch.

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTin2KAZ+e8mFvffbXvc_S*Ax3qxEE2vtV3Ob3w@mail.g mail.com

*
*
*
Like when you unplug
O*hi, been lurking for a while now.
New to linux, Debian Squeeze on the desktop, Jolicloud on the netbook.
*
Larry

Old 07-31-2010, 04:47 AM
Christian Jaeger

2010/7/30 Mark <mamarcac@gmail.com>:
> Unless I'm reading the ThinkWiki wrong Tp_smapi is not compatible with my
> machines...

Then I don't know, you'll have to find out about alternatives yourself
or hope someone else points them out, if they exist (I also guess not
all hardware allows to do that).

Ch.