Old 07-30-2010, 09:01 AM
Sthu Deus

Default Debian FS structure.

Good day.

Yet, do You know a guide or something that explains the *Debian* FS
structure: which dir. is for what.

Having separated programs from data w/ diver partitions, I have put the following

/home
/pub
/var

on a single partition. All is working well, except I want to be as
close to Debian standards as I can yet reaching my goals, therefore I
would to know what is the best place for those in FS structure, and,
may, Debinish way.

For now I have located it all in /var/local so that it looks like:

/var/local/home
/var/local/pub

But it is just my guess. So if You have a standard knowledge on the
item, or can share w/ me on such a Debian guide, please, share it w/ me.

Thank You for Your time.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:18 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:01:10 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Yet, do You know a guide or something that explains the *Debian* FS
> structure: which dir. is for what.

(...)

I've found this:

***
Debian Policy Manual
Chapter 9 - The Operating System
9.1 File system hierarchy
9.1.1 File System Structure

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html
***

Not sure if that suits your needs :-?

Additional docs:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Wolodja Wentland

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 16:01 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Having separated programs from data w/ diver partitions, I have put the following
>
> /home
> /pub
> /var

/pub -- this is not part of the FHS and you might want to search for a
better place. What kind of data do you have here?

Judging from the name, I think you might want to name that "/srv", but
who knows.

> on a single partition. All is working well, except I want to be as
> close to Debian standards as I can yet reaching my goals, therefore I
> would to know what is the best place for those in FS structure, and,
> may, Debinish way.
>
> For now I have located it all in /var/local so that it looks like:
>
> /var/local/home
> /var/local/pub

You do not stop to surprise/frighten me

You typically create a bunch of partitions, or logical volumes if you
use LVM, and mount them to the correct path.

Let's assume you have 2 partitions, /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2. You want to
seperate your user's data from the operating system and therefore
decide to mount /dev/sda1 as / and /dev/sda2 as /home. There is
absolutely no need to mount them somewhere else and in particular no
need to mount them to /var/local.

Your /etc/fstab would contain lines like:

/dev/sda1 / ext3 ????? 0 1
/dev/sda2 /home ext4 ????? 0 2

Good luck
--
.'`. Wolodja Wentland <wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de>
: :' :

Old 07-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 11:18:33AM +0000, Camale�n wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:01:10 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
>
> > Yet, do You know a guide or something that explains the *Debian* FS
> > structure: which dir. is for what.
>
> (...)
>
> I've found this:
>
> ***
> Debian Policy Manual
> Chapter 9 - The Operating System
> 9.1 File system hierarchy
> 9.1.1 File System Structure
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html
> ***
>
> Not sure if that suits your needs :-?
>
> Additional docs:
>
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

He will never buy the last two links. They don't say they are the
"Official Debian Way".

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Old 07-31-2010, 02:59 AM
francis southern

Is it my imagination or has no one mentioned 'man hier'?
I suppose it's not the most detailed account, but it's got a nice
overview and a link to the Filesystem Hierarchy standard; I was happy
when I found it.

Francis

Old 07-31-2010, 09:37 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Friday 30 July 2010 04:01:10 Sthu Deus wrote:
> Good day.
>
> Yet, do You know a guide or something that explains the *Debian* FS
> structure: which dir. is for what.
>
> Having separated programs from data w/ diver partitions, I have put the
> following
>
> /home
> /pub
> /var
>
> on a single partition. All is working well, except I want to be as
> close to Debian standards as I can yet reaching my goals, therefore I
> would to know what is the best place for those in FS structure, and,
> may, Debinish way.

HTH although it may be a bit OT.

Debian is not particularly sensitive to having many separate mount points, but
there are a few limitations to remember:

/etc and /lib must be part of /, unless you are willing to roll your own
initramfs and can manage to mount them before starting the standard Debian
boot process.

/var should be a filesystem that fully support POSIX locking semantics, which
may mean "not NFS".

/home and /usr/local are, intentionally, not (or rarely) written to by the
package manager and standard daemons.

At the minimum I recommend / and /home to be separate file systems, even for
single-user systems. You may also want to put /usr/local on a separate file
system, I found it useful to share /usr/local with other distributions before.

For a multi-user system, all user-writable locations should be separate file
systems from "system" file systems. At the least, /var/tmp, /tmp, and /home
should be separate file systems. /dev/shm may be user writable, but in modern
system /dev is already a tmpfs file system, so no worries. This is mainly to
prevent users of filling up system disks and making trouble for the
administrator. In the past, the also prevent a specific type of hardlink
attack, but dpkg now prevents that attack independent of file system layout.
If you run a daemon that allows users to store data which is put in /var, it
should also be separate.

I prefer /usr, /opt, and /srv as separate file system as well, but that is
simply to keep / small.

The most file systems I use is like this:
/ -- (something fast)
/boot -- RAID 1, bootable, of course.
/home -- (something large, sharable with other OSes)
/opt
/srv
/tmp -- tmpfs
/usr
/usr/local -- (something large, sharable with other UNIX/Linux OSes)
/var
/var/tmp -- (something fast)
/var/cache -- (something fast)

Debian handles it fine.

As far as which file system to use, I have the most experience with reiserfs.
The "killer feature" was online growing and offline shrinking. I don't
recommend it anymore, but I'm not yet comfortable enough to recommend btrfs
for "production" file systems. So, right now I don't have a recommendation.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 07-31-2010, 09:38 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:23:25 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 11:18:33AM +0000, Camale�n wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:01:10 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
>>
>> > Yet, do You know a guide or something that explains the *Debian* FS
>> > structure: which dir. is for what.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> I've found this:
>>
>> ***
>> Debian Policy Manual
>> Chapter 9 - The Operating System
>> 9.1 File system hierarchy
>> 9.1.1 File System Structure
>>
>> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html ***
>>
>> Not sure if that suits your needs :-?
>>
>> Additional docs:
>>
>> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard
>
> He will never buy the last two links. They don't say they are the
> "Official Debian Way".

Why not? As long as Debian sticks to FSH 2.3 (with the exceptions
mentioned in the first link from Debian Policy Manual) I think the last
two links full match his requirements and better yet, explain the "which
dir if for what" question.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-31-2010, 09:56 AM
Lisi

On Saturday 31 July 2010 10:38:28 Camaleón wrote:
> > He will never buy the last two links. They don't say they are the
> > "Official Debian Way".
>
> Why not? As long as Debian sticks to FSH 2.3 (with the exceptions
> mentioned in the first link from Debian Policy Manual) I think the last
> two links full match his requirements and better yet, explain the "which
> dir if for what" question.

I think that you have missed the humour, Camaleón. That is the difficulty of
a cross-culture, cross-language ml. :-(

Lisi

Old 07-31-2010, 10:07 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 10:56:12 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Saturday 31 July 2010 10:38:28 Camaleón wrote:
>> > He will never buy the last two links. They don't say they are the
>> > "Official Debian Way".
>>
>> Why not? As long as Debian sticks to FSH 2.3 (with the exceptions
>> mentioned in the first link from Debian Policy Manual) I think the last
>> two links full match his requirements and better yet, explain the
>> "which dir if for what" question.
>
> I think that you have missed the humour, Camaleón. That is the
> difficulty of a cross-culture, cross-language ml. :-(

Oh... I thought it was a real "complain" or so it appears if someone
comes to the list and reads the thread. I just wanted to clarify a bit
the context, meaning, we (Debian) are in the standard path :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-31-2010, 03:16 PM