FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Martin Gracik
 
Default Packages needed in install.img

Hi,

I've compiled this list of packages which are installed when creating the install.img and have files on it.
You can get it here http://mgracik.fedorapeople.org/pkglist.tar.bz2

The archive contains files. Each file is a single package, and inside the file there are paths to files,
which we have in the install.img. Just those files that end up in the final install.img, not all files the package contains.

I would like to go over that list, and see if there are some packages, which we don't really need.
For example libogg package, there are just 2 files from it that we have in install.img, libogg.so.0 and libogg.so.0.7.0 (actually one file).
But here's the problem, I don't really know if it is needed or not. I guess not, but I would not like to mess anything up.

I would be very happy if someone could help me with this, someone with deeper knowledge of what files we use and which we don't.
It would be nice if we could limit the number of packages that we have, instead of removing one file at a time, to make the install.img smaller.

Thanks.

--

Martin Gracik

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 07-29-2010, 04:44 PM
seth vidal
 
Default Packages needed in install.img

On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 12:37 -0400, Martin Gracik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've compiled this list of packages which are installed when creating the install.img and have files on it.
> You can get it here http://mgracik.fedorapeople.org/pkglist.tar.bz2
>
> The archive contains files. Each file is a single package, and inside the file there are paths to files,
> which we have in the install.img. Just those files that end up in the final install.img, not all files the package contains.
>
> I would like to go over that list, and see if there are some packages, which we don't really need.
> For example libogg package, there are just 2 files from it that we have in install.img, libogg.so.0 and libogg.so.0.7.0 (actually one file).
> But here's the problem, I don't really know if it is needed or not. I guess not, but I would not like to mess anything up.
>
> I would be very happy if someone could help me with this, someone with deeper knowledge of what files we use and which we don't.
> It would be nice if we could limit the number of packages that we have, instead of removing one file at a time, to make the install.img smaller.
>


Ah ha! now I know what you were asking about this morning.

For future reference here is some simple code to do what you did:

import yum
my = yum.YumBase()
results = {}
for pkg in my.rpmdb:
for fn in pkg.filelist:
if is_file_on_install_img(fn):
if pkg.name not in results:
results[pkg.name] = []
results[pkg.name].append(fn)


etc etc.

-sv


_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 07-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Chris Lumens
 
Default Packages needed in install.img

> I would be very happy if someone could help me with this, someone with
> deeper knowledge of what files we use and which we don't.
> It would be nice if we could limit the number of packages that we
> have, instead of removing one file at a time, to make the install.img
> smaller.

For starters, we can run ldd on all the binaries we include and get a
list of all those libraries. Then, we can trim those libraries out of
the list of potential files to get rid of. That's where a lot of these
strange libraries are coming from, I bet.

- Chris

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 07-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Ales Kozumplik
 
Default Packages needed in install.img

On 07/29/2010 09:32 PM, Chris Lumens wrote:

I would be very happy if someone could help me with this, someone with
deeper knowledge of what files we use and which we don't.
It would be nice if we could limit the number of packages that we
have, instead of removing one file at a time, to make the install.img
smaller.


For starters, we can run ldd on all the binaries we include and get a
list of all those libraries. Then, we can trim those libraries out of
the list of potential files to get rid of. That's where a lot of these
strange libraries are coming from, I bet.

- Chris


This is also where libogg is coming from. I added it because 'ldd
/usr/bin/metacity' wants it.


Ales

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 07-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Martin Gracik
 
Default Packages needed in install.img

Well I run ldd on all binaries in install.img to get a list of requried libraries (dependencies).
Then I went over the file lists from packages, and if the particular file was found in the dependency list I added which binary requires that library.
The problem is that ALL the libraries are required by some binary in the install.img

I updated the file on http://mgracik.fedorapeople.org/pkglist.tar.bz2

The format is not perfect, but you get the point...

--

Martin Gracik

----- "Chris Lumens" <clumens@redhat.com> wrote:

> > I would be very happy if someone could help me with this, someone
> with
> > deeper knowledge of what files we use and which we don't.
> > It would be nice if we could limit the number of packages that we
> > have, instead of removing one file at a time, to make the
> install.img
> > smaller.
>
> For starters, we can run ldd on all the binaries we include and get a
> list of all those libraries. Then, we can trim those libraries out
> of
> the list of potential files to get rid of. That's where a lot of
> these
> strange libraries are coming from, I bet.
>
> - Chris
>
> _______________________________________________
> Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
> Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 07-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Chris Lumens
 
Default Packages needed in install.img

> Well I run ldd on all binaries in install.img to get a list of requried libraries (dependencies).
> Then I went over the file lists from packages, and if the particular file was found in the dependency list I added which binary requires that library.
> The problem is that ALL the libraries are required by some binary in the install.img

Yeah, that's a problem. Then it seems to me the way forward is to
decrease the number of libraries. Perhaps some strategic trimming is in
order.

It seems like we have two conflicting goals here:

(1) Use as much regular system stuff.
(2) Keep size to a minimum.

Traditionally we've gone with #2 and used stuff like busybox. I'm not
really a fan of that. I'd prefer we go with the system stuff as much as
possible so we get all the same bugs and all the same bug fixes. Maybe
it's just impossible for us to get these images smaller.

Can you post a listing of the files/directories in the images, sorted by
size? Maybe looking at them that way will show us the best place to
start on trying to remove stuff.

- Chris

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 07-30-2010, 08:58 PM
 
Default Packages needed in install.img

> Yeah, that's a problem. Then it seems to me the way forward is to
> decrease the number of libraries.

I meant "decrease the number of binaries" here.

As a start, we should check whether all these fonts are still required.
They're pretty large, and the fonts seem to change weekly. We're
certainly to have some outdated ones still getting pulled in.

Also, mtools. It appears to still be needed for running certain things
in syslinux, but I don't think we run any of that stuff during
installation - only during the scripts. Not huge, but it can probably
die.

- Chris

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 08-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Martin Gracik
 
Default Packages needed in install.img

Yes, the fonts were the first thing that came to my mind too, I hope some of them can be removed, also maybe some icons/themes.

--

Martin Gracik

----- clumens@redhat.com wrote:

> > Yeah, that's a problem. Then it seems to me the way forward is to
> > decrease the number of libraries.
>
> I meant "decrease the number of binaries" here.
>
> As a start, we should check whether all these fonts are still
> required.
> They're pretty large, and the fonts seem to change weekly. We're
> certainly to have some outdated ones still getting pulled in.
>
> Also, mtools. It appears to still be needed for running certain
> things
> in syslinux, but I don't think we run any of that stuff during
> installation - only during the scripts. Not huge, but it can
> probably
> die.
>
> - Chris
>
> _______________________________________________
> Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
> Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 08-02-2010, 07:14 AM
Martin Gracik
 
Default Packages needed in install.img

So here's the filelist of excessive files sorted by size http://mgracik.fedorapeople.org/filelist_by_size.txt,
lot of binaries we don't use, but I'm afraid they will be a part of a package with also required binaries.

--

Martin Gracik

----- "Martin Gracik" <mgracik@redhat.com> wrote:

> Yes, the fonts were the first thing that came to my mind too, I hope
> some of them can be removed, also maybe some icons/themes.
>
> --
>
> Martin Gracik
>
> ----- clumens@redhat.com wrote:
>
> > > Yeah, that's a problem. Then it seems to me the way forward is
> to
> > > decrease the number of libraries.
> >
> > I meant "decrease the number of binaries" here.
> >
> > As a start, we should check whether all these fonts are still
> > required.
> > They're pretty large, and the fonts seem to change weekly. We're
> > certainly to have some outdated ones still getting pulled in.
> >
> > Also, mtools. It appears to still be needed for running certain
> > things
> > in syslinux, but I don't think we run any of that stuff during
> > installation - only during the scripts. Not huge, but it can
> > probably
> > die.
> >
> > - Chris
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
> > Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
> > https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
>
> _______________________________________________
> Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
> Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 08-02-2010, 12:47 PM
John Reiser
 
Default Packages needed in install.img

> So here's the filelist of excessive files sorted by size http://mgracik.fedorapeople.org/filelist_by_size.txt

It is customary to say "descending size (largest first)",
and to include the numerical size to the left of each filename.
(The general rule is that pathnames and other fields with larger
variation in width should go towards the right-hand side because
this tends to avoid large gaps of whitespace [or 'leader' characters]
when columns are aligned.) Including the size allows for some
quantitative understanding.

Then there is the problem of hard links, such as
/usr/sbin/vgremove
/usr/sbin/vgrename
/usr/sbin/lvremove
/usr/sbin/lvrename
etc. The space for these is not additive. It is good to know
the multiple names which claim [the same] space, but it would be
nice to known which are additive and which are not.

Why is 'sendmail' required in an install image?

On a complete install DVD, about 1/3 of the space (over 1GB out of 3.2GB)
is due to language support. When I make private DVDs for testing,
then I comment-out all the "@<language>" lines in the /usr/share/pugni/*.ks file.
The result is a DVD of slightly more than 2 GB. (I did not yet
remove those fonts which are language-specific and "no longer needed.")
I know that it is a policy decision to support all languages,
but there should be more awareness of the high cost that this implies.

--

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:25 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org