Old 07-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Hal Vaughan

Default Embedded System Recommendations

I'm working with something that will go in people's offices. I was seriously considering using some Soekris boxes (http://soekris.com). The problem is the upper limit of RAM is 512 MB. I'd like to get something a little faster than their systems and with more memory, but the memory would take priority.

I don't want to go with a "normal" system because I don't want video or keyboard attached. With Soekris, I need a null modem serial cable to connect when I'm setting it up and installing Debian. (Then, of course, ssh works fine.) I want headless because I want it to "feel" like an appliance to the people I'm working with. I don't want them trying to access it directly (it'll have a web interface).

Does anyone use Debian on a box like this (headless) that they can recommend?

Thanks!

Hal

Old 07-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Volkan YAZICI

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Hal Vaughan <hal@halblog.com> writes:
> I'm working with something that will go in people's offices. I was
> seriously considering using some Soekris boxes (http://soekris.com).
> The problem is the upper limit of RAM is 512 MB. I'd like to get
> something a little faster than their systems and with more memory, but
> the memory would take priority.

Did you check EPIA Mini-ITX boards?

Regards.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Hal Vaughan

On Jul 28, 2010, at 4:58 PM, Volkan YAZICI wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Hal Vaughan <hal@halblog.com> writes:
>> I'm working with something that will go in people's offices. I was
>> seriously considering using some Soekris boxes (http://soekris.com).
>> The problem is the upper limit of RAM is 512 MB. I'd like to get
>> something a little faster than their systems and with more memory, but
>> the memory would take priority.
>
> Did you check EPIA Mini-ITX boards?

My big issue with those (and some others) is that if I want to block off video and keyboard ports (which, these days, means USB, too), I have to physically alter the case or the board or do something like use glue to seal the connector. I want to make this as much "appliance like" as possible so there's no temptation to think of it like a computer or to try to log in or connect to it normally.

The Soekris boxes have a serial port for communications and, other than something like ssh, that's it for logging in.

But thanks for the suggestion!

Hal

Old 07-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Eero Volotinen

how about some box from: http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=40

--
Eero

Old 07-29-2010, 06:06 PM
"Perry E. Metzger"

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:41:11 -0400 Hal Vaughan <hal@halblog.com>
wrote:
> I'm working with something that will go in people's offices. I was
> seriously considering using some Soekris boxes
> (http://soekris.com). The problem is the upper limit of RAM is 512
> MB. I'd like to get something a little faster than their systems
> and with more memory, but the memory would take priority.
>
> I don't want to go with a "normal" system because I don't want
> video or keyboard attached. With Soekris, I need a null modem
> serial cable to connect when I'm setting it up and installing
> Debian. (Then, of course, ssh works fine.) I want headless
> because I want it to "feel" like an appliance to the people I'm
> working with. I don't want them trying to access it directly
> (it'll have a web interface).
>
> Does anyone use Debian on a box like this (headless) that they can
> recommend?

If you're willing to leave the world of x86, there are lots of cool
things out there like the Beagleboard, Shivaplug/Guruplug, etc.

--
Perry E. Metzger perry@piermont.com

Old 07-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Hal Vaughan

On Jul 29, 2010, at 2:06 PM, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:41:11 -0400 Hal Vaughan <hal@halblog.com>
> wrote:
>> I'm working with something that will go in people's offices. I was
>> seriously considering using some Soekris boxes
>> (http://soekris.com). The problem is the upper limit of RAM is 512
>> MB. I'd like to get something a little faster than their systems
>> and with more memory, but the memory would take priority.
>>
>> I don't want to go with a "normal" system because I don't want
>> video or keyboard attached. With Soekris, I need a null modem
>> serial cable to connect when I'm setting it up and installing
>> Debian. (Then, of course, ssh works fine.) I want headless
>> because I want it to "feel" like an appliance to the people I'm
>> working with. I don't want them trying to access it directly
>> (it'll have a web interface).
>>
>> Does anyone use Debian on a box like this (headless) that they can
>> recommend?
>
> If you're willing to leave the world of x86, there are lots of cool
> things out there like the Beagleboard, Shivaplug/Guruplug, etc.

Okay, that's a start. I have no problem with leaving x86, just as long as I can easily get Debian running on it -- and can easily replicate that when I need more.

Any other names that you know work with Debian?

Thanks!

Hal

Old 07-31-2010, 07:38 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 03:04:04PM -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:

> Okay, that's a start. I have no problem with leaving x86, just as
> long as I can easily get Debian running on it -- and can easily
> replicate that when I need more.
>
> Any other names that you know work with Debian?

SheevaPlug / GuruPlug work quite well with Debian:

http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/

BeagleBoard seems less optimal for that purpose. For instance, no
on-board ethernet.

Another x86 system to look at is:

http://www.pcengines.ch/alix.htm

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's