Old 07-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Aniruddha

Default samba: mounting as cifs not working (works in Windows though)

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 5:11 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a Debian machine running Unstable acting as a samba server. The
> server was installed a few days ago after a reinstall of the OS. The older
> installation's samba configs were backed up and restored after installation.
>
> The Samba shares are accessible if I access them from a Windows 7 client.
> The shares, however, cannot be accessed from a Debian client (newly
> installed amd64 Testing). The error I get from the Debian client is the
> following:
> ~$ sudo mount -v -t cifs -o user=<username> //sambaserver/Share ~/mnt/Share
> Password: .... <username's password here> ....
> mount.cifs kernel mount options:
> ip=192.168.0.8,unc=//sambaserver/Share,,ver=1,user=<username>,pass=********
> mount error(13): Permission denied

I encountered the same problem a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I don't
have the correct command in bash_history anymore. Can you try:

sudo mount -t cifs -o user=<username>,password=<password>
//<ipaddress>/Share ~/mnt/Share
sudo mount -t cifs -o user=guest //<ipaddress>r/Share ~/mnt/Share

Which message do you get in the Samba logs? You can take a look at the
samba wiki as well:

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Mounting_samba_shares_from_a_unix_client

Old 07-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Aniruddha

You can also try:

sudo mount -t cifs //<ipaddress>/Share ~/mnt/Share

Old 07-28-2010, 08:30 PM
"H.S."

I encountered the same problem a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I don't
have the correct command in bash_history anymore. Can you try:

sudo mount -t cifs -o user=<username>,password=<password>
//<ipaddress>/Share ~/mnt/Share
sudo mount -t cifs -o user=guest //<ipaddress>r/Share ~/mnt/Share

Which message do you get in the Samba logs? You can take a look at the
samba wiki as well:

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Mounting_samba_shares_from_a_unix_client

IP address instead of the hostname doesn't make any difference.
Strangely, I am not getting any errors in the logs on the samba server.

ever having been read.

Archive: i2q41i$he6$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i2q41i$he6$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:30:41 -0400, H.S. wrote:

> On 28/07/10 02:51 PM, Aniruddha wrote:
>>
>> I encountered the same problem a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I don't
>> have the correct command in bash_history anymore. Can you try:
>>
>> sudo mount -t cifs -o user=<username>,password=<password>
>> //<ipaddress>/Share ~/mnt/Share
>> sudo mount -t cifs -o user=guest //<ipaddress>r/Share ~/mnt/Share
>>
>> Which message do you get in the Samba logs? You can take a look at the
>> samba wiki as well:
>>
>> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/
Mounting_samba_shares_from_a_unix_client

> IP address instead of the hostname doesn't make any difference.
> Strangely, I am not getting any errors in the logs on the samba server.

Then you can increase the log level verbosity in "smb.conf":

log level = 4

And restart the involved services.

Greetings,

--