Old 07-28-2010, 06:00 PM
hugo vanwoerkom

Default controlling fanspeed - gnome lenny - acer laptop

Camaleón wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:41:52 -0500, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

Camaleón wrote:

(...)

I would try first to get an accurate temperature measure for the CPU
(69° C is a bit high, even for a laptop, but not critical -that depends
on the microprocessor type-). Are you able to get these values from
BIOS? Just to make a comparison...

'sensors-detect' gets:
Sorry, no sensors were detected.
Either your sensors are not supported, or they are connected to an I2C
or SMBus adapter that is not supported. See
http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ/Chapter3 for further information.

Did you read the suggested steps?

http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ/Chapter3#Sensors-detectdoesntworkatall

Mmm, does not look good.

You can try to load the latest SystemRescueCD (a livecd) which has the
latest version for "lm-sensors" package. If running "sensors-detect"
there either works, then... dunno :-/

BIOS shows nothing of either fan or temperature.

Ouch :-(

The only temperature indicators are
hugo@debian:~$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp 66000
hugo@debian:~$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone1/temp 50000

It is not clear what these refer to.

Thermal zones are "points" defined to "ring the bell" (getting an alarm
and provide an event → i.e., activating or speeding up the fan) to avoid
overheating, but provided that your ACPI detection is not very accurate,
I won't take that values very seriously.

'fancontrol' is shown as part of the package lm-sensors.

Yes :-(

Lenny has only 2.6.26 kernel. I can try knoppix 6.2.1 which has a 2.6.32
kernel and see if it has a later lm-sensors.

Lenny has version 3.0.2 and sid has 3.1.2, don't know if that will make
much difference.

Hugo

Archive: i2pr8f$hgc$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i2pr8f$hgc$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-29-2010, 01:15 PM
hugo vanwoerkom

hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

Camaleón wrote:

[...]

no sensors-detect in knoppix 6.2.1
I'll see if there is a forum for lm-sensors

Hugo

Archive: i2ruuh$pbg$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i2ruuh$pbg$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-29-2010, 01:31 PM
hugo vanwoerkom

hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

Camaleón wrote:

[...]

But look at this:

hugo@debian:~$ sensors -v
sensors version 3.0.2 with libsensors version 3.0.2
hugo@debian:~$ sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +62.0°C (crit = +100.0°C)
temp2: +46.0°C (crit = +70.0°C)

Hugo

Archive: i2rvse$tf9$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i2rvse$tf9$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Camalen

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:31:54 -0500, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

> hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

(...)

>> no sensors-detect in knoppix 6.2.1
>> I'll see if there is a forum for lm-sensors
>>

> But look at this:
>
> hugo@debian:~$ sensors -v
> sensors version 3.0.2 with libsensors version 3.0.2 hugo@debian:~$
> sensors
> acpitz-virtual-0
> Adapter: Virtual device
> temp1: +62.0C (crit = +100.0C) temp2: +46.0C (crit =
> +70.0C)

I'm afraid that is the "virtual device", not the real one. If there are
no more sensors detected (just the virtual), it's a bad sign :-(

Sorry, I'm out of ideas. Laptops are very customized/closed devices, I'm
afraid they come ready for Windows (you'll see there are lots of tools
for controlling fan speed and temperature measuring _inside_ win). Also,
manufacturer's tools to handle this are designed for Windows.

I know there are some linux packages for specific laptops (Toshiba,
HP...) that allow to control/customize the function keys and do other
fancy things, maybe you can find something similar for Acer :-?

A BIOS update can (sometimes) help, but don't do it unless you know for
sure what are you doing :-)

Greetings,

--
Camalen