Old 07-28-2010, 01:19 PM
hugo vanwoerkom

Default controlling fanspeed - gnome lenny - acer laptop

Hi,

These are my first days with running Lenny on an Acer Aspire 3613WLCi
and I see temps like: TZS0 70 TZS1 52 but I can't seem to find a utility
to control the fan: I would like to turn in on and see if those temps
change.

Hugo

Archive: i2paol$gi3$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i2paol$gi3$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Jordon Bedwell

These are my first days with running Lenny on an Acer Aspire 3613WLCi
and I see temps like: TZS0 70 TZS1 52 but I can't seem to find a utility
to control the fan: I would like to turn in on and see if those temps
change.

Hugo

I don't know about controlling the fan manually outside of the bios or
an Acer approved application, but I do know you can install some tools
to stop the fan from being so noisy:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7273893&postcount=59 should still
work with the latest Ubuntu.

Archive: 4C5030A8.7020607@envygeeks.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C5030A8.7020607@envygeeks.com

Old 07-28-2010, 02:14 PM
hugo vanwoerkom

Jordon Bedwell wrote:

These are my first days with running Lenny on an Acer Aspire 3613WLCi
and I see temps like: TZS0 70 TZS1 52 but I can't seem to find a utility
to control the fan: I would like to turn in on and see if those temps
change.

Hugo

I don't know about controlling the fan manually outside of the bios or
an Acer approved application, but I do know you can install some tools
to stop the fan from being so noisy:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7273893&postcount=59 should still
work with the latest Ubuntu.

Thanks Jordon. I have acerfand installed but that only sets the fan to
'AUTO' or 'OFF' and is sort of pervasive, it keeps writing to syslog and
it seems to be able to create a race condition.

acerhdf does not compile and what it says in the readme does not seem true:
ON: 'echo 1 > /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/cdev0/cur_state'
does nothing, it does not turn the fan on. But:
'cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp'
does say 67000

Hugo

Archive: i2pe13$t86$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i2pe13$t86$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 08:19:02 -0500, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

> These are my first days with running Lenny on an Acer Aspire 3613WLCi
> and I see temps like: TZS0 70 TZS1 52 but I can't seem to find a utility
> to control the fan: I would like to turn in on and see if those temps
> change.

I think "lm-sensors" includes a "fancontrol" package, but be careful if
you want to manually set the fan speed, because this parameter should be
automatically adjusted by ACPI and cpufreqd.

Ideally, running "acpi -V" will display more info about your thermal
zones and current temperature trip points.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-28-2010, 02:40 PM
hugo vanwoerkom

Camaleón wrote:

These are my first days with running Lenny on an Acer Aspire 3613WLCi
and I see temps like: TZS0 70 TZS1 52 but I can't seem to find a utility
to control the fan: I would like to turn in on and see if those temps
change.

I think "lm-sensors" includes a "fancontrol" package, but be careful if
you want to manually set the fan speed, because this parameter should be
automatically adjusted by ACPI and cpufreqd.

Ideally, running "acpi -V" will display more info about your thermal
zones and current temperature trip points.

lm-sensors does not work on this laptop, 'sensors-detect' does not
detect any sensors.

'acpi -v' reads;
Battery 0: Charging, 0%, charging at zero rate - will never fully
charge., design capacity 4400 mAh

AC Adapter 0: on-line
Thermal 0: ok, 53.0 degrees C
Thermal 1: ok, 69.0 degrees C
Cooling 0: Processor 1 of 7

But I notice that /etc/rc2.d has 'S20fancontrol', I wonder what that
does. I would just like to turn the fan on, since I never hear it.

Hugo

Archive: i2pfh4$3h1$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i2pfh4$3h1$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-28-2010, 02:57 PM
hugo vanwoerkom

hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

Camaleón wrote:

[...]

That is part of lm-sensors, won't work... :-(

Hugo

Archive: i2pghs$7ai$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i2pghs$7ai$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:40:23 -0500, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> I think "lm-sensors" includes a "fancontrol" package, but be careful if
>> you want to manually set the fan speed, because this parameter should
>> be automatically adjusted by ACPI and cpufreqd.
>>
>> Ideally, running "acpi -V" will display more info about your thermal
>> zones and current temperature trip points.
>>

> lm-sensors does not work on this laptop, 'sensors-detect' does not
> detect any sensors.

Usually, "sensors-detect" gives you some tips for loading the right
modules for your board and once you load them, starts working.

> 'acpi -v' reads;
> Battery 0: Charging, 0%, charging at zero rate - will never fully
> charge., design capacity 4400 mAh
> AC Adapter 0: on-line
> Thermal 0: ok, 53.0 degrees C
> Thermal 1: ok, 69.0 degrees C
> Cooling 0: Processor 1 of 7
>
> But I notice that /etc/rc2.d has 'S20fancontrol', I wonder what that
> does. I would just like to turn the fan on, since I never hear it.

Maybe that "fancontrol" is the service provided by lm-sensors, but not
sure :-?

I would try first to get an accurate temperature measure for the CPU (69°
C is a bit high, even for a laptop, but not critical -that depends on the
microprocessor type-). Are you able to get these values from BIOS? Just
to make a comparison...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-28-2010, 03:41 PM
hugo vanwoerkom

Camaleón wrote:

[...]

'sensors-detect' gets:
Sorry, no sensors were detected.
Either your sensors are not supported, or they are connected to an
I2C or SMBus adapter that is not supported. See
http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ/Chapter3 for further information.

BIOS shows nothing of either fan or temperature.

The only temperature indicators are
hugo@debian:~$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
66000
hugo@debian:~$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone1/temp
50000

It is not clear what these refer to.

'fancontrol' is shown as part of the package lm-sensors.

Hugo

Archive: i2pj43$i04$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i2pj43$i04$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:41:52 -0500, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> I would try first to get an accurate temperature measure for the CPU
>> (69° C is a bit high, even for a laptop, but not critical -that depends
>> on the microprocessor type-). Are you able to get these values from
>> BIOS? Just to make a comparison...
>>

> 'sensors-detect' gets:
> Sorry, no sensors were detected.
> Either your sensors are not supported, or they are connected to an I2C
> or SMBus adapter that is not supported. See
> http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ/Chapter3 for further information.

Did you read the suggested steps?

http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ/Chapter3#Sensors-detectdoesntworkatall

Mmm, does not look good.

You can try to load the latest SystemRescueCD (a livecd) which has the
latest version for "lm-sensors" package. If running "sensors-detect"
there either works, then... dunno :-/

> BIOS shows nothing of either fan or temperature.

Ouch :-(

> The only temperature indicators are
> hugo@debian:~$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp 66000
> hugo@debian:~$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone1/temp 50000
>
> It is not clear what these refer to.

Thermal zones are "points" defined to "ring the bell" (getting an alarm
and provide an event → i.e., activating or speeding up the fan) to avoid
overheating, but provided that your ACPI detection is not very accurate,
I won't take that values very seriously.

> 'fancontrol' is shown as part of the package lm-sensors.

Yes :-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón