FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Camaleón
 
Default HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:13:16 +0000, Harishankar wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:02:41 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> As I said you before, our HP laserjet colour printer (PostScript based)
>> do have that option you are looking for. I'd say those enhanced
>> features come with the hardware you are buying... and the money you
>> spend on it
>>>:-)
>
>
> So your answer is basically "go buy a more expensive printer I don't
> need just to fix this problem."

No, but "keep you informed *before* buying".

> Also I need an MFD. We scan and copy frequently and I don't want to
> spend even more on a laser MFD.

Then you have to spend your money in a good device that have all such
features and it's fully supported on your linux box. There are tons of
hardware devices out there that simply do not work or are not fully
supported in linux :-/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2010.07.30.08.22.55@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.07.30.08.22.55@gmail.com
 
Old 07-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Harishankar
 
Default HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:22:55 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:13:16 +0000, Harishankar wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:02:41 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>>> As I said you before, our HP laserjet colour printer (PostScript
>>> based) do have that option you are looking for. I'd say those enhanced
>>> features come with the hardware you are buying... and the money you
>>> spend on it
>>>>:-)
>>
>>
>> So your answer is basically "go buy a more expensive printer I don't
>> need just to fix this problem."
>
> No, but "keep you informed *before* buying".

Where was this information available then? I keep asking this, this is
such an obscure issue that it surfaces only after I take a colour
document printout?

Even googling this issue I find very few articles referring to this
particular "drawback of Linux drivers".

It's a feature I would have expected to work 99% of the time. Calling me
out on being unaware of this specific bug is not very kind of you!

>
>> Also I need an MFD. We scan and copy frequently and I don't want to
>> spend even more on a laser MFD.
>
> Then you have to spend your money in a good device that have all such
> features and it's fully supported on your linux box. There are tons of
> hardware devices out there that simply do not work or are not fully
> supported in linux :-/
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

AFAIK, spending more money on hardware does not guarantee success with
Linux. I've had expensive hardware also fail to work on Linux before. So
yes, I understand that you need to state this, but I have been a Debian
user for over 8 years now and I don't need to be told this specifically.


--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: i2u2hn$9vj$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i2u2hn$9vj$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 07-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Camaleón
 
Default HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:22:14 +0000, Harishankar wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:17:58 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Next time, read the reviews or ask in the forums *before buying* a
>> printer. Today is a *must* to be informed on the linux support for any
>> piece of hardware, mostly for scanning devices (printers are getting
>> better support those days).
>>
>
> I think that was harsh of you. I have this printer for a long time > 4 -
> 5 years and it has served me very well. We've been using this printer
> and it has given no issues in every other way.

We all (users) have -or have had- some piece of hardware that it's not
working with Linux. That is the crude fact, nothing strange here.

> I've seen this problem on Linux for a long long time and every time I
> assumed it was something I did wrong, but apparently the bug has existed
> for a long time (and I do consider it a bug, not a "feature")

You (or me) can call it as we want. It's HP who has the power to correct
it or adding that option.

> Unfortunately until HP really takes Linux seriously I doubt whether it
> will have the desired impact.

So add yourself to the bug you found or open a new one.

> And no, I prefer not spending on devices just to get it working under
> Linux. I print occasionally anyway and it doesn't justify the extra cost
> either. A PSC was good enough for us then and it's good enough now.

Then keep it, that's up to you. You asked for a feature that was not
available for your device and I tried to help you to diagnose a
configuration problem (that lastly it turned out it was not).

> I really thought that the cartridge issue would be resolved by now.
> Apologies for my responses, but I have got really really frustrated
> these days with the mediocre level of support given by hardware
> manufacturers for Linux.

Yes, we all suffer for that. But HP is making a good job with HPLIP
just... just that not all devices have the same good support for the
drivers. I suppose older MFP lack some fetaures while newer ones, don't.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2010.07.30.08.33.00@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.07.30.08.33.00@gmail.com
 
Old 07-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Harishankar
 
Default HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:33:00 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:22:14 +0000, Harishankar wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:17:58 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>>> Next time, read the reviews or ask in the forums *before buying* a
>>> printer. Today is a *must* to be informed on the linux support for any
>>> piece of hardware, mostly for scanning devices (printers are getting
>>> better support those days).
>>>
>>>
>> I think that was harsh of you. I have this printer for a long time > 4
>> - 5 years and it has served me very well. We've been using this printer
>> and it has given no issues in every other way.
>
> We all (users) have -or have had- some piece of hardware that it's not
> working with Linux. That is the crude fact, nothing strange here.
>
>> I've seen this problem on Linux for a long long time and every time I
>> assumed it was something I did wrong, but apparently the bug has
>> existed for a long time (and I do consider it a bug, not a "feature")
>
> You (or me) can call it as we want. It's HP who has the power to correct
> it or adding that option.
>
>> Unfortunately until HP really takes Linux seriously I doubt whether it
>> will have the desired impact.
>
> So add yourself to the bug you found or open a new one.
>
>> And no, I prefer not spending on devices just to get it working under
>> Linux. I print occasionally anyway and it doesn't justify the extra
>> cost either. A PSC was good enough for us then and it's good enough
>> now.
>
> Then keep it, that's up to you. You asked for a feature that was not
> available for your device and I tried to help you to diagnose a
> configuration problem (that lastly it turned out it was not).
>

Why we should consider it a non-available feature when it works under
Windows? I know it's not an "intelligent" printer, but isn't it the job
of the device driver to take care of those issues? If HP are actively
involved in it???


>> I really thought that the cartridge issue would be resolved by now.
>> Apologies for my responses, but I have got really really frustrated
>> these days with the mediocre level of support given by hardware
>> manufacturers for Linux.
>
> Yes, we all suffer for that. But HP is making a good job with HPLIP
> just... just that not all devices have the same good support for the
> drivers. I suppose older MFP lack some fetaures while newer ones, don't.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

I would have thought HP if they were involved in the development of the
HPLIP drivers would have fixed a simple issue like that on old or new
printers particularly as they support the device 100% under Windows. I am
not saying that they're not doing a good job, it's just strange that they
have neglected to include an important series of low-end MF printers
which a lot of us use at homes.

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: i2u31g$9vj$2@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i2u31g$9vj$2@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 07-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Lisi
 
Default HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

On Friday 30 July 2010 09:29:44 Harishankar wrote:
> >> So your answer is basically "go buy a more expensive printer I don't
> >> need just to fix this problem."
> >
> > No, but "keep you informed *before* buying".
>
> Where was this information available then?

http://www.google.co.uk/linux?num=30&hl=en&q=linux+compatible+printers&btn G=Search&meta=

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201007300947.48316.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201007300947.48316.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 
Old 07-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Camaleón
 
Default HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:29:44 +0000, Harishankar wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:22:55 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> So your answer is basically "go buy a more expensive printer I don't
>>> need just to fix this problem."
>>
>> No, but "keep you informed *before* buying".
>
> Where was this information available then?

Dunno... did you ask HP in that time, for instance?

> I keep asking this, this is
> such an obscure issue that it surfaces only after I take a colour
> document printout?

Obscure? Not, is just an option that is not avaialble for some printer
models, not only yours, calm down.

> Even googling this issue I find very few articles referring to this
> particular "drawback of Linux drivers".

It can be that not all people is interested in that feature. But again,
if it was so important for you, you better had asked HP directly to be
sure about your buying. Now there is little you can do, just complain :-(

> It's a feature I would have expected to work 99% of the time.

I, knowing how these things work, don't.

> Calling me out on being unaware of this specific bug is not very kind
> of you!

Well, I am stating a fact: you were unaware that some concrete function
was not a option for your device. You call that "be not very kind"? Okay,
I call that "to be unaware" :-)

>> Then you have to spend your money in a good device that have all such
>> features and it's fully supported on your linux box. There are tons of
>> hardware devices out there that simply do not work or are not fully
>> supported in linux :-/
>>

>
> AFAIK, spending more money on hardware does not guarantee success with
> Linux. I've had expensive hardware also fail to work on Linux before. So
> yes, I understand that you need to state this, but I have been a Debian
> user for over 8 years now and I don't need to be told this specifically.

Spend money with hardware that will work as you expect. Ask manufactures
to get the full capabilities with Linux (I do), ask in the forums to get
more feedback (I also do), and then pray for the best...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2010.07.30.08.52.50@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.07.30.08.52.50@gmail.com
 
Old 07-30-2010, 09:01 AM
Camaleón
 
Default HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:38:08 +0000, Harishankar wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:33:00 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Then keep it, that's up to you. You asked for a feature that was not
>> available for your device and I tried to help you to diagnose a
>> configuration problem (that lastly it turned out it was not).
>>
>>
> Why we should consider it a non-available feature when it works under
> Windows? I know it's not an "intelligent" printer, but isn't it the job
> of the device driver to take care of those issues? If HP are actively
> involved in it???

HP manufactures many type of printer devices: PCL based, Postscript based
and low-end devices mainly for windows. You bought the latter which is
linux featured lacking, bad luck.

HP provides support and bug management via webpage:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

(...)

> I would have thought HP if they were involved in the development of the
> HPLIP drivers would have fixed a simple issue like that on old or new
> printers particularly as they support the device 100% under Windows.

Maybe is just they cannot add that feature for linux unless they re-
design from scratch the printer. Many of those low-end hardware based
devices impede that possibility :-?

> I am not saying that they're not doing a good job, it's just strange
> that they have neglected to include an important series of low-end MF
> printers which a lot of us use at homes.

Ask them for that. They will tell you whether tecnically possible or just
a market strategy.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2010.07.30.09.01.46@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.07.30.09.01.46@gmail.com
 
Old 07-30-2010, 09:02 AM
Klistvud
 
Default HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

Dne, 30. 07. 2010 10:06:18 je Harishankar napisal(a):


Wow... I just checked the difference between Linux and Windows
printing

using my printer. The speed difference is also amazing. In Windows the
printer responds so quickly and also prints the page fast. The black
and

greyscale parts of the printed page are crisp, sharp and clear (as it
clearly uses the black cartridge) and the colours are rendered using
the

colour cartridge as per normal.

So well yes, the Linux drivers STILL face this issue and I'm not sure
whether it will ever be fixed at all. Even the old hpijs drivers have
the

same issue and so does the new hpcups driver.

I feel very disappointed that I cannot take multi-colour document
printouts properly in Linux even after all these years. :-(



Not to worry. Cheap printers are designed to die fast, so in a year or
two you'll be shopping for a new printer anyway. When you do, be sure
to check the hplip compatibility page *first*, and only buy a printer
that has *full* hplip support. It's what I did prior to buying my last
inkjet, and I must say I've never regretted it since (well, with the
exception of the cartridge prices which are a ripoff.)


I simply don't buy any hardware that isn't well supported in GNU/Linux:
I've learned that doing my research *first* is waaay better than
pulling my hair out and flooding Linux support forums later.


For what it's worth, by purchasing a Linux-compatible device I increase
its market success by 1 unit, so I also "send a message" to the
manufacturers (well, sort of).


P.S. Could you please trim your posts?

--
Regards, and sorry for not being of any practical help

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1280480550.3549.1@compax">http://lists.debian.org/1280480550.3549.1@compax
 
Old 07-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Harishankar
 
Default HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

> Ask them for that. They will tell you whether tecnically possible or
> just a market strategy.

Actually the HPIJS driver for this device has the setting:

Resolution, Quality, Ink Type, Media Type: 300dpi color black + color
cartridge

But it is obviously ignored.

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: i2u4n7$hlm$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i2u4n7$hlm$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 07-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Harishankar
 
Default HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:02:30 +0200, Klistvud wrote:

> Not to worry. Cheap printers are designed to die fast, so in a year or
> two you'll be shopping for a new printer anyway. When you do, be sure to
> check the hplip compatibility page *first*, and only buy a printer that
> has *full* hplip support. It's what I did prior to buying my last
> inkjet, and I must say I've never regretted it since (well, with the
> exception of the cartridge prices which are a ripoff.)
>
> I simply don't buy any hardware that isn't well supported in GNU/Linux:
> I've learned that doing my research *first* is waaay better than pulling
> my hair out and flooding Linux support forums later.
>
> For what it's worth, by purchasing a Linux-compatible device I increase
> its market success by 1 unit, so I also "send a message" to the
> manufacturers (well, sort of).
>
> P.S. Could you please trim your posts?

Actually this printer has been used for 4-5 years now and it still
appears to be going strong. It seems I got lucky???

I appreciate HP products, but I feel these issues are not particularly on
the top of your mind while shopping for a printer. Especially considering
that I already knew that HP printers are supported.

Linux awareness is pretty low in India generally even though it's
popularity is rising. Determining the level of support for a device is
more information than I can expect from a salesman leave alone a
technician. (I buy my products from a dealer, not HP directly.)



--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: i2u4rq$hlm$2@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i2u4rq$hlm$2@dough.gmane.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:33 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org