Old 07-27-2010, 01:17 AM
David Christensen

Default best way to backup a full encrypted LUKS system

Γιώργος *άλλας wrote:

I have a system running off a fully encrypted 160GB HD using LVM over
LUKS. Obviously, taking an image of the disk clonezilla-style is very
inefficient as I need 160GB per backup. So, regularly, I take a full tar
of the system while the system is live.

An idea -- boot a live CD, open the LUKS partition(s), configure LVM,
run zerofree against the unmounted logical volume, and then dd | tar |
gzip | ccrypt the unmounted volume to an external hard drive?

David