Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   boot.log contains only a fraction of the messages (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/404443-boot-log-contains-only-fraction-messages.html)

"Gerard H. Pille" 07-26-2010 08:39 PM

boot.log contains only a fraction of the messages
 
After a boot, my boot.log is less than 4k in size, and contains only a
small percentage of the boot messages.

Is there any way to increase this so that I can review all messages
that appeared on the console?

Thanks,

Gerard

__________________________________________________ _______________
Hotmail: Free, trusted and rich email service.
https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx?id=60969

--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BLU105-W680140D40EAB194057093BCA60@phx.gbl">http://lists.debian.org/BLU105-W680140D40EAB194057093BCA60@phx.gbl

Camaleón 07-26-2010 10:07 PM

boot.log contains only a fraction of the messages
 
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 22:39:36 +0200, Gerard H. Pille wrote:

> After a boot, my boot.log is less than 4k in size, and contains only a
> small percentage of the boot messages.
>
> Is there any way to increase this so that I can review all messages that
> appeared on the console?

Kind of...

/etc/default/bootlogd

BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=Yes

I think the other messages fall into "/var/log/messages"

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2010.07.26.22.07.41@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.07.26.22.07.41@gmail.com

Miles Fidelman 07-26-2010 10:13 PM

boot.log contains only a fraction of the messages
 
Camaleón wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 22:39:36 +0200, Gerard H. Pille wrote:



After a boot, my boot.log is less than 4k in size, and contains only a
small percentage of the boot messages.

Is there any way to increase this so that I can review all messages that
appeared on the console?


Kind of...

/etc/default/bootlogd

BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=Yes

I think the other messages fall into "/var/log/messages"

Not quite. This only effects messages generated after the kernel has
booted. Earlier messages, generated by the BIOS and early boot stages
are not captured - unless you have a terminal on the console port that
can capture them.


Miles Fidelman

--
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4C4E087D.1090703@meetinghouse.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C4E087D.1090703@meetinghouse.net

Camaleón 07-27-2010 06:13 AM

boot.log contains only a fraction of the messages
 
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 18:13:17 -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> Is there any way to increase this so that I can review all messages
>>> that appeared on the console?
>>>
>> Kind of...
>>
>> /etc/default/bootlogd
>>
>> BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=Yes
>>
>> I think the other messages fall into "/var/log/messages"
>>
> Not quite. This only effects messages generated after the kernel has
> booted. Earlier messages, generated by the BIOS and early boot stages
> are not captured - unless you have a terminal on the console port that
> can capture them.

Messages that appear in console when system boots (as per OP request) are
splitted into "/var/log/messages" and "/var/log/boot" (whether enabled).

BIOS screen (and/or remaining devices initilization) messages are a
different thing.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2010.07.27.06.13.37@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.07.27.06.13.37@gmail.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:42 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.