Old 07-26-2010, 04:26 PM
AG

Default What's with Gnome not logging out?

Hey all

On an up-to-date testing machine using Gnome 2.30.0 I often experience
difficulty logging out of a desktop session. To date, I have to either
reboot the machine or stop and restart the gdm, neither of which is
ideal and seems akin to cracking apeanut with a sledgehammer. The
option to log out of the session under the panel menu/ system doesn't
work nor does the old three-finger salute of ctrl+alt+backspace.

Am I the only Gnome user experiencing this and if not, has anyone got a
suggestion for a decent work around? Searches on Google show a few old
threads but nothing current, suggesting that it may have been a
temporary glitch. The Gnome user list is either dead or sparsely
populated as there is very infrequent activity there and my query around
this has not been addressed for several weeks now.

Thanks for help.

AG

Archive: 4C4DB723.9060300@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C4DB723.9060300@gmail.com

Old 07-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 26 iul 10, 17:26:11, AG wrote:

> sledgehammer. The option to log out of the session under the panel
> menu/ system doesn't work nor does the old three-finger salute of
> ctrl+alt+backspace.

For that you can run 'dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration'. Don't
know about gdm as I have switched to slim a while ago.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-27-2010, 03:35 AM
Paul E Condon

On 20100726_205835, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Lu, 26 iul 10, 17:26:11, AG wrote:
>
> > sledgehammer. The option to log out of the session under the panel
> > menu/ system doesn't work nor does the old three-finger salute of
> > ctrl+alt+backspace.
>
> For that you can run 'dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration'. Don't
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On my system running Squeeze, I do this. I see enabling
ctrl+alt+backspace as the last question in the dialog. I chose it. But
still no aborting of X. (I rebooted after seeing that it didn't work,
and it still didn't work.) But its nice to know that there is supposed
to be a way to enable it.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 07-27-2010, 03:49 AM
Paul E Condon

On 20100726_205835, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Lu, 26 iul 10, 17:26:11, AG wrote:
>
> > sledgehammer. The option to log out of the session under the panel
> > menu/ system doesn't work nor does the old three-finger salute of
> > ctrl+alt+backspace.
>
> For that you can run 'dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration'. Don't
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This works on my maching only if I have started X with startx, not if
I start with gdm3 (using Squeeze)

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 07-27-2010, 07:03 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 26 iul 10, 21:49:47, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On 20100726_205835, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Lu, 26 iul 10, 17:26:11, AG wrote:
> >
> > > sledgehammer. The option to log out of the session under the panel
> > > menu/ system doesn't work nor does the old three-finger salute of
> > > ctrl+alt+backspace.
> >
> > For that you can run 'dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration'. Don't
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> This works on my maching only if I have started X with startx, not if
> I start with gdm3 (using Squeeze)

You could try diff'ing the logs and also look through gdm's config
files. Maybe it's disabling that setting on purpose.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-27-2010, 04:56 PM
AG

On 20100726_205835, Andrei Popescu wrote:

sledgehammer. The option to log out of the session under the panel
menu/ system doesn't work nor does the old three-finger salute of
ctrl+alt+backspace.

For that you can run 'dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration'. Don't

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This works on my maching only if I have started X with startx, not if
I start with gdm3 (using Squeeze)

You could try diff'ing the logs and also look through gdm's config
files. Maybe it's disabling that setting on purpose.

Regards,
Andrei

Cheers Andrei

I don't think that it is disabling it on purpose because sometimes it
works and sometimes it doesn't. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme
nor reason for when it does/ not.

The associated behaviour of the keystrokes ctrl+alt+backspace is already
set for logout, but again doesn't seem to work reliably. I don't know
if it is GDM or Gnome, because other DE/WM allow me to logout quite
reasonably and reliably.

Go figure - it has me stumped (which I admit is not difficult to do, but
even so).

AG