Old 07-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Malte Forkel

Default How to fetch a binary package given the package name

I can use
apt-get source <pkg-name>[=version]
to fetch and extract a source package, given its name (and optionally,
its version).

But is there any equivalent for binary packages? I.e., is there a tool
that downloads a binary package, given the package's name (and
optionally its version)?

Thanks, Malte

Old 07-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-07-25 19:43 +0200, Malte Forkel wrote:

> I can use
> apt-get source <pkg-name>[=version]
> to fetch and extract a source package, given its name (and optionally,
> its version).
>
> But is there any equivalent for binary packages? I.e., is there a tool
> that downloads a binary package, given the package's name (and
> optionally its version)?

Yes, aptitude can do that. Here's an example fetching the experimental
version of xserver-xorg-core:

,----
| % LANG=C aptitude download xserver-xorg-core=2:1.8.99.905-1
| Get:1 http://ftp.de.debian.org experimental/main xserver-xorg-core 2:1.8.99.905-1 [1530kB]
| Fetched 1530kB in 1s (1119kB/s)
`----

You can also use the "-t <suite>" switch to get a package from a given
suite.

Sven

Old 07-25-2010, 07:03 PM
Malte Forkel

Am 25.07.2010 20:01, schrieb Sven Joachim:
> Yes, aptitude can do that. Here's an example fetching the experimental
> version of xserver-xorg-core:
>
> ,----
> | % LANG=C aptitude download xserver-xorg-core=2:1.8.99.905-1
> | Get:1 http://ftp.de.debian.org experimental/main xserver-xorg-core 2:1.8.99.905-1 [1530kB]
> | Fetched 1530kB in 1s (1119kB/s)
> `----
>
> You can also use the "-t <suite>" switch to get a package from a given
> suite.

Thanks, Sven. Just what I was looking for!

Old 07-26-2010, 03:57 AM
Ron Johnson

to fetch and extract a source package, given its name (and optionally,
its version).

But is there any equivalent for binary packages? I.e., is there a tool
that downloads a binary package, given the package's name (and
optionally its version)?

Yes, aptitude can do that. Here's an example fetching the experimental
version of xserver-xorg-core:

,----
| % LANG=C aptitude download xserver-xorg-core=2:1.8.99.905-1
| Get:1 http://ftp.de.debian.org experimental/main xserver-xorg-core 2:1.8.99.905-1 [1530kB]
| Fetched 1530kB in 1s (1119kB/s)
`----

You can also use the "-t<suite>" switch to get a package from a given
suite.

And if you're into The Once And Future Apt, it's:
# apt-get -d install xserver-xorg-core=2:1.8.99.905-1

--
Seek truth from facts.

Archive: 4C4D0791.6080605@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C4D0791.6080605@cox.net

Old 07-26-2010, 04:38 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-07-26 05:57 +0200, Ron Johnson wrote:

> And if you're into The Once And Future Apt, it's:
> # apt-get -d install xserver-xorg-core=2:1.8.99.905-1

Seems you need to be root to do this, which is not the case for