Old 07-24-2010, 08:59 PM
John Hasler

Default Trouble compiling generic kernel

Curt writes:
> I was surprised with the failure of menuconfig, since I have all of
> ncurses installed and the "ncurses-devel" suggestion isn't a Debian
> package name anyway.

> Suggestions?

libncurses5-dev
--
John Hasler

Old 07-25-2010, 01:49 AM
Curt Howland

Old 07-25-2010, 03:22 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Curt Howland put forth on 7/24/2010 8:49 PM:

> Not compiling often (as you can tell), I note that the compile is
> using only one cpu of 4 at a time. I'm sure there is a parallel
> compilation tweak somewhere.

Setting CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=4 in your user environment should fix this, at
least, it used to. From the bash command line, for the current session only:

export CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=4

To make it permanent you need to edit /home/[user]/.bash_profile and append:

export CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=4

If you regularly do your kernel work while logged on as root, you'd need to
append it to /root/.bashrc or /root/.profile

--
Stan

Old 07-25-2010, 03:49 AM
Mike Viau

> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 22:22:29 -0500 <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
>
> Setting CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=4 in your user environment should fix this, at
> least, it used to. From the bash command line, for the current session only:
>
> export CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=4
>
> To make it permanent you need to edit /home/[user]/.bash_profile and append:
>
> export CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=4
>
> If you regularly do your kernel work while logged on as root, you'd need to
> append it to /root/.bashrc or /root/.profile

You might also want to read http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

or from google's cache at http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:7D7TfZqA1wMJ:www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm+http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

-M

Look 'em in the eye: FREE Messenger video chat Chat Now!

Old 07-25-2010, 04:11 AM
Celejar

Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> Curt Howland put forth on 7/24/2010 8:49 PM:
>
> > Not compiling often (as you can tell), I note that the compile is
> > using only one cpu of 4 at a time. I'm sure there is a parallel
> > compilation tweak somewhere.
>
> Setting CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=4 in your user environment should fix this, at
> least, it used to. From the bash command line, for the current session only:
>
> export CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=4
>
> To make it permanent you need to edit /home/[user]/.bash_profile and append:
>
> export CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=4
>
> If you regularly do your kernel work while logged on as root, you'd need to
> append it to /root/.bashrc or /root/.profile

And assuming you're using kernel-package, from its manpage:

--jobs number
-j number Set the environment variable CONCURRENCY_LEVEL to "number".

Celejar

Old 07-25-2010, 07:20 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-07-25 05:22 +0200, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Curt Howland put forth on 7/24/2010 8:49 PM:
>
>> Not compiling often (as you can tell), I note that the compile is
>> using only one cpu of 4 at a time. I'm sure there is a parallel
>> compilation tweak somewhere.
>
> Setting CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=4 in your user environment should fix this, at
> least, it used to.

This only works if you use kernel-package to build the kernel. The
generic way is to use "make -j4".

> If you regularly do your kernel work while logged on as root, you'd need to
> append it to /root/.bashrc or /root/.profile

There is no need to ever build the kernel as root.

Sven

Old 07-25-2010, 07:24 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-07-25 03:49 +0200, Curt Howland wrote:

> Not compiling often (as you can tell), I note that the compile is
> using only one cpu of 4 at a time. I'm sure there is a parallel
> compilation tweak somewhere.

Yes, the "-j" switch for make. If you want to build a Debian package
that you can install and test, use "make -j4 deb-pkg".

Sven

Old 07-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Curt Howland

Old 07-25-2010, 04:54 PM