Old 07-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Curt Howland

Default Trouble compiling generic kernel

Hi. Lenny, up to date with security and backports.

I pulled down 2.6.35-rc6.tar.bz2 from kernel.org, and would like to
try compiling it to see what's Coming Soon To A Disto Near Me.

Its been about 9 years since the last time I compiled a kernel, but
I'm having trouble I didn't have then. For some reason, none of
the "make" things that I've used in the past are working now:

===========
$ make xconfig
CHECK qt
*
* Unable to find the QT3 installation. Please make sure that
* the QT3 development package is correctly installed and
* either install pkg-config or set the QTDIR environment
* variable to the correct location.
*
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `scripts/kconfig/.tmp_qtcheck',
needed by `scripts/kconfig/qconf.o'. Stop.
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2
===========
===========
$ make menuconfig
*** Unable to find the ncurses libraries or the
*** required header files.
*** 'make menuconfig' requires the ncurses libraries.
***
*** Install ncurses (ncurses-devel) and try again.
***
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/dochecklxdialog] Error 1
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2
===========
===========
$ make gconfig
*
* Unable to find the GTK+ installation. Please make sure that
* the GTK+ 2.0 development package is correctly installed...
* You need gtk+-2.0, glib-2.0 and libglade-2.0.
*
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `scripts/kconfig/.tmp_gtkcheck',
needed by `scripts/kconfig/gconf.o'. Stop.
make: *** [gconfig] Error 2
===========

"make config" did work, but working through everything in text is
enough to make a sane person INSANE.

I was surprised with the failure of menuconfig, since I have all of
ncurses installed and the "ncurses-devel" suggestion isn't a Debian
package name anyway.

Suggestions?

- --
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end,
for they do so with the approval of their consciences.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-07-24 22:26 +0200, Curt Howland wrote:

> Hi. Lenny, up to date with security and backports.
>
> I pulled down 2.6.35-rc6.tar.bz2 from kernel.org, and would like to
> try compiling it to see what's Coming Soon To A Disto Near Me.
>
> Its been about 9 years since the last time I compiled a kernel, but
> I'm having trouble I didn't have then. For some reason, none of
> the "make" things that I've used in the past are working now:

This is due to missing development packages.

> ===========
> $ make xconfig
> CHECK qt
> *
> * Unable to find the QT3 installation. Please make sure that
> * the QT3 development package is correctly installed and
> * either install pkg-config or set the QTDIR environment
> * variable to the correct location.
> *
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `scripts/kconfig/.tmp_qtcheck',
> needed by `scripts/kconfig/qconf.o'. Stop.
> make: *** [xconfig] Error 2
> ===========

This target needs the libqt3-mt-dev package (and possibly others).

> ===========
> $ make menuconfig
> *** Unable to find the ncurses libraries or the
> *** required header files.
> *** 'make menuconfig' requires the ncurses libraries.
> ***
> *** Install ncurses (ncurses-devel) and try again.
> ***
> make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/dochecklxdialog] Error 1
> make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2
> ===========

This target needs libncurses5-dev.

> ===========
> $ make gconfig
> *
> * Unable to find the GTK+ installation. Please make sure that
> * the GTK+ 2.0 development package is correctly installed...
> * You need gtk+-2.0, glib-2.0 and libglade-2.0.
> *
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `scripts/kconfig/.tmp_gtkcheck',
> needed by `scripts/kconfig/gconf.o'. Stop.
> make: *** [gconfig] Error 2
> ===========

This target needs libglade2-dev (and possibly other packages).

> "make config" did work, but working through everything in text is
> enough to make a sane person INSANE.

Yes, this is only for people who are or want to become crazy.

> I was surprised with the failure of menuconfig, since I have all of
> ncurses installed and the "ncurses-devel" suggestion isn't a Debian
> package name anyway.

The -devel namespace comes from Red Hat based distributions, in Debian
development packages always end in -dev and very often begin with "lib".

> Suggestions?

Install libncurses5-dev and use "make menuconfig" or "make nconfig" (the
latter is new in 2.6.35).

Sven