Old 07-24-2010, 04:39 PM
hugo vanwoerkom

Default unwanted repeated messages on Lenny laptop

Hi,

I did a net-install of Lenny on an Acer laptop.
All went well, took 2hr 23min to install, not bad, found the Telmex
Infinitum network with DHCP.

I took the defaults so now I am running Gnome.

The connection is thru a 2Wire wireless gateway that I have connected to
eth0, which you get when you subscribe to Telmex Infinitum, together
with the warning that they don't support Linux.

However...

Every minute these mesages appears on the active VT (and in syslog),
which screws up the fullscreen app like mc that you might be running there:

Jul 24 11:26:25 debian NetworkManager: <WARN>
nm_device_802_11_wireless_scan(): (wlan0): could not trigger wireless
scan: Network is down
Jul 24 11:28:25 debian kernel: [78097.517971] input: b43-phy0 as
/class/input/input653
Jul 24 11:28:25 debian kernel: [78097.576051] firmware: requesting
b43/ucode5.fw
Jul 24 11:28:25 debian kernel: [78097.591077] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware
file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found or load failed.
Jul 24 11:28:25 debian kernel: [78097.591085] b43-phy0 ERROR: You must
go to http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and
download the latest firmware (version 4).

How can I turn off those messages? Aside from messing with the firmware
on the laptop, which I am loathe to do because various people still use
it to access the unmentionable o/s.

Hugo

Archive: i2f50p$7va$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i2f50p$7va$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-24-2010, 04:51 PM
hugo vanwoerkom

Archive: i2f5n1$9vl$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i2f5n1$9vl$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Sb, 24 iul 10, 11:39:46, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

> Jul 24 11:28:25 debian kernel: [78097.576051] firmware: requesting
> b43/ucode5.fw
> Jul 24 11:28:25 debian kernel: [78097.591077] b43-phy0 ERROR:
> Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found or load failed.
> Jul 24 11:28:25 debian kernel: [78097.591085] b43-phy0 ERROR: You
> must go to
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and
> download the latest firmware (version 4).

You probably just need to install the package b43-fwcutter (it's in
contrib).

> How can I turn off those messages? Aside from messing with the
> firmware on the laptop, which I am loathe to do because various
> people still use it to access the unmentionable o/s.

(why is it unmentionable?)

Firmware here does not mean the BIOS or similar stuff already present in
some ROMs inside the laptop. They are just some files with binary code
needed to activate and/or operate certain devices (the wireless card in
your case).

IIRC in this particular case the firmware files are actually extracted
from the Windows drivers.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-24-2010, 06:16 PM