Old 07-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Mark Allums

Default Installing Squeeze i386

Has anyone noticed that the recent Squeeze i386 installation
CDs/installers have been in an unusable state? They can't load network
drivers, they can't partition with LVM, they can't mount an ext3
partition.

Advice?

Archive: 4C49DF07.10500@allums.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C49DF07.10500@allums.com

Old 07-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Jordon Bedwell

Has anyone noticed that the recent Squeeze i386 installation
CDs/installers have been in an unusable state? They can't load network
drivers, they can't partition with LVM, they can't mount an ext3 partition.

Advice?

That's probably because Squeeze is considered unstable by all means.
Lenny is the latest stable version of Debian. What do the errors say?
Errors usually help us diagnose...

Archive: 4C49E003.9090303@envygeeks.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C49E003.9090303@envygeeks.com

Old 07-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Paul E Condon

On 20100723_132719, Mark Allums wrote:
> Has anyone noticed that the recent Squeeze i386 installation
> CDs/installers have been in an unusable state? They can't load
> network drivers, they can't partition with LVM, they can't mount an
> ext3 partition.
>
> Advice?

I've experienced bad installs over the past week. I hadn't been installing
for several months before that and chalked it up to my making mistakes.
But two days ago, I thought I had a good install. Then yesterday I did
a upgrade and now my fonts are all messed up. My system is functional
to the point that I can send this email. But I have stopped trying to
fix things. My advice is to hunker down and wait for a better day.
I think my last update installed a new version of debconf, but not
sure.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 07-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Thierry Chatelet

On Friday 23 July 2010 20:27:19 Mark Allums wrote:
> Has anyone noticed that the recent Squeeze i386 installation
> CDs/installers have been in an unusable state? They can't load network
> drivers, they can't partition with LVM, they can't mount an ext3
> partition.
>
> Advice?

Was that with the daily build?
Thierry

Old 07-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Mark Allums

Has anyone noticed that the recent Squeeze i386 installation
CDs/installers have been in an unusable state? They can't load network
drivers, they can't partition with LVM, they can't mount an ext3
partition.

Advice?

Was that with the daily build?
Thierry

Weekly build, most recently, this Monday/Tuesday.

Archive: 4C49ECC7.1050407@allums.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C49ECC7.1050407@allums.com

Old 07-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Thierry Chatelet

On Friday 23 July 2010 21:25:59 Mark Allums wrote:
> On 7/23/2010 2:02 PM, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> > On Friday 23 July 2010 20:27:19 Mark Allums wrote:
> >> Has anyone noticed that the recent Squeeze i386 installation
> >> CDs/installers have been in an unusable state? They can't load network
> >> drivers, they can't partition with LVM, they can't mount an ext3
> >> partition.
> >>
> >> Advice?
> >
> > Was that with the daily build?
> > Thierry
>
> Weekly build, most recently, this Monday/Tuesday.

Then try the daily......

Old 07-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 13:27:19 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:

> Has anyone noticed that the recent Squeeze i386 installation
> CDs/installers have been in an unusable state? They can't load network
> drivers, they can't partition with LVM, they can't mount an ext3
> partition.
>
> Advice?

Same here (weekly ISO).

No network adapter detection neither ext3/ext4/reiserfs/jfs/xfs
formatting options.

BTW, netinstall (~180 MiB.) works fine.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Jordon Bedwell

Has anyone noticed that the recent Squeeze i386 installation
CDs/installers have been in an unusable state? They can't load network
drivers, they can't partition with LVM, they can't mount an ext3
partition.

Advice?

Same here (weekly ISO).

No network adapter detection neither ext3/ext4/reiserfs/jfs/xfs
formatting options.

BTW, netinstall (~180 MiB.) works fine.

Greetings,

Maybe it's your network cards ~ perhaps a specific model missing
drivers? I was able to get it to work on both Xen and VMWare Fusion. We
don't slipstream our drivers and we were using unmodified kernels.

Archive: 4C4A1B65.5000203@envygeeks.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C4A1B65.5000203@envygeeks.com

Old 07-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 17:44:53 -0500, Jordon Bedwell wrote:

> On 7/23/10 4:08 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 13:27:19 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone noticed that the recent Squeeze i386 installation
>>> CDs/installers have been in an unusable state? They can't load
>>> network drivers, they can't partition with LVM, they can't mount an
>>> ext3 partition.
>>>
>>> Advice?
>>
>> Same here (weekly ISO).
>>
>> No network adapter detection neither ext3/ext4/reiserfs/jfs/xfs
>> formatting options.
>>
>> BTW, netinstall (~180 MiB.) works fine.
>>

> Maybe it's your network cards ~ perhaps a specific model missing
> drivers? I was able to get it to work on both Xen and VMWare Fusion. We
> don't slipstream our drivers and we were using unmodified kernels.

Dunno but...

1/ I'm installing Squeeze in VM (virtualbox) so network card is a plain
generic one (Intel gigabit).

2/ Having no ext3/ext4 option for disk formatting is not a "good" thing.

3/ Netinstall ISO has no problem at all with these two issues.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Mark Allums

[...]

Net install is difficult for me, and getting a daily build is both
futile and impossible. Futile because the i386 iso has been pants for
weeks, impossible for the same reason I can't use netinst: I have
terrible access to internet, including a data cap.

Mark