Old 07-23-2010, 08:25 AM
Merciadri Luca

Default `Open with ...' -> Use command too

Hi,

When opening a (downloaded) file, the Debian user is often (if not
always) asked if he wants to open it, or to save it. Well, actually,
opening it saves it in /tmp/, but that's not a problem.

The problem is that ticking `Open with' only gives you a list of
choices. You can choose `Other' and it directly opens ~/ so that you can
select the binary which can render the related file. The problem is that
it's
* basically easier to write a command, i.e. at the place of `Open with
... Other', it could be interesting to have a box where you can write
e.g. `kile' if you want the file to be opened with `kile', etc.;
* not often possible for the user to select a binary which is not in his
directories.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:25:15 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> When opening a (downloaded) file, the Debian user is often (if not
> always) asked if he wants to open it, or to save it. Well, actually,
> opening it saves it in /tmp/, but that's not a problem.

Are you saying that when you select "Open with..." and choose an
application the file gets downloaded to "/tmp" and does not get opened?
>:-?

> The problem is that ticking `Open with' only gives you a list of
> choices.

The ones that are recognized by the OS in the "mimetype" database.

> You can choose `Other' and it directly opens ~/ so that you can
> select the binary which can render the related file.

Yep, in GNOME it opens the standard "file browse" menu.

> The problem is that
> it's
> * basically easier to write a command, i.e. at the place of `Open with
> ... Other', it could be interesting to have a box where you can write
> e.g. `kile' if you want the file to be opened with `kile', etc.;

Sure.

> * not
> often possible for the user to select a binary which is not in his
> directories.

You can browse the full filesystem (from "/" to lower paths). I have no
problem with that.

For commom application extensions (.pdf, .tiff, etc...), it is useful to
add them in Icewesel (programs) in order to get the right applications
displayed when you select "Open with...".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Merciadri Luca

Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:25:15 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>

>> When opening a (downloaded) file, the Debian user is often (if not
>> always) asked if he wants to open it, or to save it. Well, actually,
>> opening it saves it in /tmp/, but that's not a problem.
>>

> Are you saying that when you select "Open with..." and choose an
> application the file gets downloaded to "/tmp" and does not get opened?

No, it gets opened, but this is actually also a `file saving.'
(Everybody knows it, but, strictly speaking, `Open' is error-prone.)

?
>> The problem is that ticking `Open with' only gives you a list of
>> choices.
>>

> The ones that are recognized by the OS in the "mimetype" database.

Yes.
>> You can choose `Other' and it directly opens ~/ so that you can
>> select the binary which can render the related file.
>>

> Yep, in GNOME it opens the standard "file browse" menu.
>

>> The problem is that
>> it's
>> * basically easier to write a command, i.e. at the place of `Open with
>> ... Other', it could be interesting to have a box where you can write
>> e.g. `kile' if you want the file to be opened with `kile', etc.;
>>

> Sure.
>

>> * not
>> often possible for the user to select a binary which is not in his
>> directories.
>>

> You can browse the full filesystem (from "/" to lower paths). I have no
> problem with that.

Yes, but this is really really tedious as compared to an input box!
> For commom application extensions (.pdf, .tiff, etc...), it is useful to
> add them in Icewesel (programs) in order to get the right applications
> displayed when you select "Open with...".

Yes. I did it.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Sjoerd Hardeman

Merciadri Luca schreef:

You can browse the full filesystem (from "/" to lower paths). I have no
problem with that.

Yes, but this is really really tedious as compared to an input box!
True. Yet sending this complaint to this list probably won't solve it.
Filing a 'wish list'-bug to the gnome-upstream people might.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:11:53 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> Are you saying that when you select "Open with..." and choose an
>> application the file gets downloaded to "/tmp" and does not get opened?
>>
> No, it gets opened, but this is actually also a `file saving.'
> (Everybody knows it, but, strictly speaking, `Open' is error-prone.)

Okay then.

(...)

>> You can browse the full filesystem (from "/" to lower paths). I have no
>> problem with that.
>>
> Yes, but this is really really tedious as compared to an input box!

I agree. It should be desirable to have such "auto-binary-search" option.

But I dunno who to "blame" here (GNOME file browser could indeed add that
option but it will require a UI redesign -it is already there, but in
other place, not in file browser UI-, and Firefox/Iceweasel could also
improve the current status of the" Open with" window manager...).

Mmm... hard choice. Let's blame both :-P

(just kidding)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Merciadri Luca

Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
> Merciadri Luca schreef:
>>> You can browse the full filesystem (from "/" to lower paths). I have
>>> no problem with that.
>>>
>> Yes, but this is really really tedious as compared to an input box!
> True. Yet sending this complaint to this list probably won't solve it.
> Filing a 'wish list'-bug to the gnome-upstream people might.

Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.
(Abraham Lincoln)

Old 07-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Sjoerd Hardeman

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi

Old 07-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Merciadri Luca

Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
> Merciadri Luca schreef:
>> Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:

>>> True. Yet sending this complaint to this list probably won't solve it.
>>> Filing a 'wish list'-bug to the gnome-upstream people might.
>>>
>> I could not find where to post it.
> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi
Thanks. I looked for `gnome-upstream', that's why I never found this.
Right, but this is not a bug and there seems to be no way to post
something else than a bug report (the first page does not offer you this
option too).

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we
fall. (Conficius)

Old 07-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 15:28:53 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
>> Merciadri Luca schreef:

>>> I could not find where to post it.
>> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi

> Thanks. I looked for `gnome-upstream', that's why I never found this.
> Right, but this is not a bug and there seems to be no way to post
> something else than a bug report (the first page does not offer you this
> option too).

You can fill an "Enhancement" bug.

Here is the list of the possible severity fields you can use:

***
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/page.cgi?id=fields.html#severity

(...)
Enhancement Request for a new feature or functionality.
***

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Merciadri Luca

Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 15:28:53 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>

>> Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:

>>> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi
>>>

>> Thanks. I looked for `gnome-upstream', that's why I never found this.
>> Right, but this is not a bug and there seems to be no way to post
>> something else than a bug report (the first page does not offer you this
>> option too).
>>

> You can fill an "Enhancement" bug.
>
> Here is the list of the possible severity fields you can use:
>
> ***
> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/page.cgi?id=fields.html#severity
>
> (...)
> Enhancement Request for a new feature or functionality.
> ***

Thanks. And which package should it belong to? (I don't know GNOME
sufficiently to guess what to choose in the list.)

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

The love that lasts the longer is the one which is never returned.
(William Somerset Maugham)