Old 07-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Camaleón

Default python-twisted-core on my machines inexplicably still old, breaking installation of python-twisted

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:28:21 -0800, d8uv wrote:

> I need to install python-twisted, so...

No need to post this twice :-)

> $ sudo aptitude install python-twisted [[...]]
> python-twisted-mail: Depends: python-twisted-core (>= 10.1) but
> 10.0.0-3 is to be installed.

(...)

> Ok, so I'm on the primary Debian mirror, it's been a day since the
> upgrade, so any cron latency -should- be dealt with by now... and it's
> still broken. I now officially have no clue what to do. Perhaps I should
> try to post it onto a mailing list somewhere, maybe they can help.

Some tips:

- Are you behind a proxy? Maybe your ISP is somehow caching data or
reading the old one :-?

- Are you using some pinning/restrictions/rules for packages?

- Try with another mirror from where to get the data or give "apt-get
update" a chance.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-23-2010, 06:49 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Jo, 22 iul 10, 10:28:21, d8uv wrote:
> I need to install python-twisted, so...
>
> $ sudo aptitude install python-twisted
> [[...]]
> python-twisted-mail: Depends: python-twisted-core (>= 10.1) but
> 10.0.0-3 is to be installed.
> python-twisted-news: Depends: python-twisted-core (>= 10.1) but
> 10.0.0-3 is to be installed.
> python-twisted-words: Depends: python-twisted-core (>= 10.1) but
> 10.0.0-3 is to be installed.
> python-twisted-names: Depends: python-twisted-core (>= 10.1) but
> 10.0.0-3 is to be installed.
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
> [[...]]

Do you have unofficial packages installed? I have those exact packages
on hold now because of vodafone-mobile-connect from betavine.

> Oh. So it won't install python-twisted, because it depends on... hey,
> wait a second... Let's check something...
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/python-twisted-core says that the
> latest version is 10.1.0-1...
>
> $ sudo aptitude update
> [[...]]
> $ aptitude show python-twisted-core
> Package: python-twisted-core
> New: yes
> State: not installed
> Version: 10.0.0-3
> [[...]]
>
> Huh. So aptitude, for some reason, still thinks that 10.0.0-3 is the
> latest version. Which it -so- isn't. Why? Am I on some crappy mirror,
> or is it because of rogue repositories?

Please post the output of 'apt-cache policy python-twisted-core'.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-25-2010, 08:37 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Vi, 23 iul 10, 09:49:27, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Jo, 22 iul 10, 10:28:21, d8uv wrote:
> > I need to install python-twisted, so...
> >
> > $ sudo aptitude install python-twisted
> > [[...]]
> > python-twisted-mail: Depends: python-twisted-core (>= 10.1) but
> > 10.0.0-3 is to be installed.
> > python-twisted-news: Depends: python-twisted-core (>= 10.1) but
> > 10.0.0-3 is to be installed.
> > python-twisted-words: Depends: python-twisted-core (>= 10.1) but
> > 10.0.0-3 is to be installed.
> > python-twisted-names: Depends: python-twisted-core (>= 10.1) but
> > 10.0.0-3 is to be installed.
> > The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
> > [[...]]
>
> Do you have unofficial packages installed? I have those exact packages
> on hold now because of vodafone-mobile-connect from betavine.

Scratch that, I have the exact same issue. packages.debian.org shows
10.1.0-1 for python-twisted and I can even download it from
ftp.at.debian.org (via packages.debian.org), but if I try aptitude with
the same mirror I still get the old version.

I downloaded Packages.bz2 and Packages.gz with Iceweasel and indeed it
is still showing 10.0.0-3. This means it is either the mirror (but I
tried several already) or something else. Can somebody please confirm
this in order to exclude ISP problems?

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Jordon Bedwell

Scratch that, I have the exact same issue. packages.debian.org shows
10.1.0-1 for python-twisted and I can even download it from
ftp.at.debian.org (via packages.debian.org), but if I try aptitude with
the same mirror I still get the old version.

I downloaded Packages.bz2 and Packages.gz with Iceweasel and indeed it
is still showing 10.0.0-3. This means it is either the mirror (but I
tried several already) or something else. Can somebody please confirm
this in order to exclude ISP problems?

I confirmed this a few days ago. This is a repo issue that should be
reported to Debian so they can correct the version mismatch, I mean we
shouldn't get all mad about it since it is SID after all, but they
should know that there is a problem so they can get it fixed as soon as
they possibly can.

Archive: 4C4C10E1.7000705@envygeeks.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C4C10E1.7000705@envygeeks.com

Old 07-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-07-25 10:37 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Vi, 23 iul 10, 09:49:27, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>> On Jo, 22 iul 10, 10:28:21, d8uv wrote:
>> > I need to install python-twisted, so...
>> >
>> > $ sudo aptitude install python-twisted
>> > [[...]]
>> > The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>> > python-twisted-mail: Depends: python-twisted-core (>= 10.1) but
>> > 10.0.0-3 is to be installed.
>> > python-twisted-news: Depends: python-twisted-core (>= 10.1) but
>> > 10.0.0-3 is to be installed.
>> > python-twisted-words: Depends: python-twisted-core (>= 10.1) but
>> > 10.0.0-3 is to be installed.
>> > python-twisted-names: Depends: python-twisted-core (>= 10.1) but
>> > 10.0.0-3 is to be installed.
>> > The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>> > [[...]]
>>
>> Do you have unofficial packages installed? I have those exact packages
>> on hold now because of vodafone-mobile-connect from betavine.
>
> Scratch that, I have the exact same issue. packages.debian.org shows
> 10.1.0-1 for python-twisted and I can even download it from
> ftp.at.debian.org (via packages.debian.org), but if I try aptitude with
> the same mirror I still get the old version.
>
> I downloaded Packages.bz2 and Packages.gz with Iceweasel and indeed it
> is still showing 10.0.0-3. This means it is either the mirror (but I
> tried several already) or something else. Can somebody please confirm
> this in order to exclude ISP problems?

Which architecture is that? On i386, I only see 10.1.0-1 in the latest
Packages.bz2 from ftp.at.debian.org.

Sven

Old 07-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Du, 25 iul 10, 12:37:28, Sven Joachim wrote:

> Which architecture is that? On i386, I only see 10.1.0-1 in the latest
> Packages.bz2 from ftp.at.debian.org.

amd64

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Du, 25 iul 10, 05:24:33, Jordon Bedwell wrote:

> I confirmed this a few days ago. This is a repo issue that should
> be reported to Debian so they can correct the version mismatch, I
> mean we shouldn't get all mad about it since it is SID after all,
> but they should know that there is a problem so they can get it
> fixed as soon as they possibly can.

#590243

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-07-25 19:16 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Du, 25 iul 10, 12:37:28, Sven Joachim wrote:
>>
>> Which architecture is that? On i386, I only see 10.1.0-1 in the latest
>> Packages.bz2 from ftp.at.debian.org.
>
> amd64

Thanks, I see. The problem is that the twisted source package (which
builds the python-twisted binary package) has not been uploaded yet on
amd64, and even though python-twisted is an arch:all package, it is kept
at the old version.

Previously, an arch:all package was in sync on all arches, but since
that often created uninstallabilities when foo (arch:any) depended on
foo-common (arch:all) of the same source version and foo was not built
yet, the ftp-masters changed that.

In this case this has the undesirable side effect that packages from a
_different_ source package depend on the new version of
python-twisted-core, making them uninstallable on amd64.

Sven

Old 07-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Du, 25 iul 10, 19:55:45, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-07-25 19:16 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>
> > On Du, 25 iul 10, 12:37:28, Sven Joachim wrote:
> >>
> >> Which architecture is that? On i386, I only see 10.1.0-1 in the latest
> >> Packages.bz2 from ftp.at.debian.org.
> >
> > amd64
>
> Thanks, I see. The problem is that the twisted source package (which
> builds the python-twisted binary package) has not been uploaded yet on
> amd64, and even though python-twisted is an arch:all package, it is kept
> at the old version.

I must be misunderstanding something here, because AFAIK source packages
don't really care about my *binary* arch. On the mirrors there are
'binary-amd64', 'binary-i386 directories', but only one 'source'
directory. Which also explains why this works:

$ LANG=C apt-get source python-twisted
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Picking 'twisted' as source package instead of 'python-twisted'
Need to get 1661kB of source archives.
Get:1 http://debian.mirrors.crysys.hu sid/main twisted 10.1.0-1 (dsc) [1226B]
Get:2 http://debian.mirrors.crysys.hu sid/main twisted 10.1.0-1 (tar) [1648kB]
Get:3 http://debian.mirrors.crysys.hu sid/main twisted 10.1.0-1 (diff) [12.2kB]
Fetched 1661kB in 0s (1907kB/s)
dpkg-source: info: extracting twisted in twisted-10.1.0
dpkg-source: info: unpacking twisted_10.1.0.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: info: applying twisted_10.1.0-1.diff.gz
dpkg-source: info: upstream files that have been modified:
twisted-10.1.0/twisted/scripts/tap2deb.py

> Previously, an arch:all package was in sync on all arches, but since
> that often created uninstallabilities when foo (arch:any) depended on
> foo-common (arch:all) of the same source version and foo was not built
> yet, the ftp-masters changed that.

Ok, this I understood

> In this case this has the undesirable side effect that packages from a
> _different_ source package depend on the new version of
> python-twisted-core, making them uninstallable on amd64.

Based also on you previous paragraph it would mean that some binary
package built from the source 'twisted' has not been built on amd64
(yet). Let's see...
Oh, it seems the Maintainer uploaded 10.1.0-2 today and I'm unable to
find the build status for 10.1.0-1 anymore, but according to
packages.debian.org the culprits seem to be python-twisted-bin and
python-twisted-bin-dbg and indeed, they are missing from the mirror.

Thanks for the explanation, +1 informative

Regards,
Andrei