Old 07-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Paul Chany

Default bash: chroot: command not found

Hi,

I'm trying to follow
http://wiki.debian.org/Migrate32To64Bit

but can't to run the
'chroot /chroot64'

command because I get an error message:
bash: chroot: command not found

I can run command 'man chroot' and get a man page.
I have installed 'fakechroot' deb package.

Why can't I run the 'chroot' command?

--
Regards, Paul Chany
http://csanyi-pal.info

Old 07-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 7/22/10 12:42 PM, Paul Chany wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to follow
http://wiki.debian.org/Migrate32To64Bit

but can't to run the
'chroot /chroot64'

command because I get an error message:
bash: chroot: command not found

I can run command 'man chroot' and get a man page.
I have installed 'fakechroot' deb package.

Why can't I run the 'chroot' command?

--
Regards, Paul Chany
http://csanyi-pal.info

Did you make sure to install debootstrap?

Archive: 4C488491.8020704@envygeeks.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C488491.8020704@envygeeks.com

Old 07-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Paul Chany

Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> writes:

> On 7/22/10 12:42 PM, Paul Chany wrote:

>> but can't to run the
>> 'chroot /chroot64'
>>
>> command because I get an error message:
>> bash: chroot: command not found
>>
>> I can run command 'man chroot' and get a man page.
>> I have installed 'fakechroot' deb package.
>>
>> Why can't I run the 'chroot' command?

> Did you make sure to install debootstrap?

I have installed debootstrap:

$ aptitude search debootstrap
i cdebootstrap
p cdebootstrap-static
i A debootstrap

--
Regards, Paul Chany
You can freely correct me in my English.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-07-22 19:42 +0200, Paul Chany wrote:

> I'm trying to follow
> http://wiki.debian.org/Migrate32To64Bit
>
> but can't to run the
> 'chroot /chroot64'
>
> command because I get an error message:
> bash: chroot: command not found

Did you do this as an ordinary user? You have to be root for chroot to
work.

> I can run command 'man chroot' and get a man page.
> I have installed 'fakechroot' deb package.

Irrelevant.

> Why can't I run the 'chroot' command?

If running it as root fails, check your PATH and your coreutils
installation.

Sven

Old 07-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Paul Chany

Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:

> On 2010-07-22 19:42 +0200, Paul Chany wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to follow
>> http://wiki.debian.org/Migrate32To64Bit
>>
>> but can't to run the
>> 'chroot /chroot64'
>>
>> command because I get an error message:
>> bash: chroot: command not found
>
> Did you do this as an ordinary user? You have to be root for chroot
> to work.

Yes, I did but now I tried it as root user too:
# chroot /chroot64/
chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory

>> Why can't I run the 'chroot' command?
>
> If running it as root fails, check your PATH and your coreutils
> installation.

$ aptitude search coreutils
i coreutils

$ env | less | grep "PATH"
PATH=/usr/hla:/usr/brlcad/bin:/home/csanyipal/GNUstep/Tools:
/usr/GNUstep/Local/Tools:/usr/GNUstep/System/Tools:
/home/csanyipal/Programozas/Eclipse/LetoltottEclipse.tar.gz/
Eclipse_Galileo/eclipse:/usr/GNUstep/System/Tools:
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin:
/usr/local/netbeans-6.7.1/bin

I can see that that there isn't in the PATH: /usr/sbin. Should I have
it there?

Command 'mlocate chroot' gives me:
/usr/bin/schroot
/usr/sbin/chroot

Old 07-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Erwan David

Le Thu 22/07/2010, Paul Chany disait
> Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:
>
> > On 2010-07-22 19:42 +0200, Paul Chany wrote:
> >
> >> I'm trying to follow
> >> http://wiki.debian.org/Migrate32To64Bit
> >>
> >> but can't to run the
> >> 'chroot /chroot64'
> >>
> >> command because I get an error message:
> >> bash: chroot: command not found
> >
> > Did you do this as an ordinary user? You have to be root for chroot
> > to work.
>
> Yes, I did but now I tried it as root user too:
> # chroot /chroot64/
> chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory

is there a /chroot64/bin/bash ?

--
Erwan

Old 07-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Paul Chany

Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> writes:

> Le Thu 22/07/2010, Paul Chany disait
>> Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:

>> > Did you do this as an ordinary user? You have to be root for
>> > chroot to work.
>>
>> Yes, I did but now I tried it as root user too:
>> # chroot /chroot64/
>> chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory
>
> is there a /chroot64/bin/bash ?

I think that the problem is that that I have not reboot yet with the
installed new kernel: vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-amd64

but try that command when run the older kernel: vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-686,
right?

Old 07-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Paul Chany

Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> writes:

> Le Thu 22/07/2010, Paul Chany disait
>> Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:

>> > Did you do this as an ordinary user? You have to be root for
>> > chroot to work.
>>
>> Yes, I did but now I tried it as root user too:
>> # chroot /chroot64/
>> chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory
>
> is there a /chroot64/bin/bash ?

No, it isn't there.
$ ls /chroot64/
debootstrap var

Old 07-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-07-22 20:35 +0200, Paul Chany wrote:

> I think that the problem is that that I have not reboot yet with the
> installed new kernel: vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-amd64

You have to do that _first_, before you run debootstrap to populate the
/chroot64 directory.

> but try that command when run the older kernel: vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-686,
> right?

You won't be able to run amd64 binaries with that kernel.

Sven

Old 07-25-2010, 01:54 AM
Onur Aslan

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 08:43:43PM +0200, Paul Chany wrote:
> No, it isn't there.
> $ ls /chroot64/
> debootstrap var

Looks like your 64-bit installation with debootstrap isn't complete.
Try to install new one with this command and make sure your installation is
done without any error (lenny is your choice):

debootstrap --arch=amd64 lenny /chroot64/

--
.'`. Debian GNU/Linux
: :' : Onur Aslan <onur@0nur.net> 0x900CB80C