Old 07-22-2010, 04:42 PM
"Karl E. Jorgensen"

Default Interactive diff rsync

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 06:03:34PM +0200, Andre Majorel wrote:
> Anyone knows of some software that will compare two trees and, for
> each file that differs, show you a diff and ask whether you want
> to update the destination file ?
>
> It must run in a terminal (no GUI) and it must be able to access
> the source tree through an SSH tunnel, like rsync.

I think that unison should fit the bill (it will do two-way synchronisation).
And I *think* you can get it to show the diff too..

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
IT Operations Manager

Old 07-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Anand Sivaram

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 21:33, Andre Majorel <aym-naibed@teaser.fr> wrote:

Anyone knows of some software that will compare two trees and, for

each file that differs, show you a diff and ask whether you want

to update the destination file ?

It must run in a terminal (no GUI) and it must be able to access

the source tree through an SSH tunnel, like rsync.

Thanks in advance.

--

André Majorel <http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>

The Debian project must be praised for their efforts in figthing

spam by never exposing the email addresses of their users.

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20100722160334.GB6008@aym.net2.nerim.net

From your requirement, the best option may be to use a distributed version control system like git.* It could do all of these through a terminal.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Erwan David

Le Thu 22/07/2010, Andre Majorel disait
> Anyone knows of some software that will compare two trees and, for
> each file that differs, show you a diff and ask whether you want
> to update the destination file ?
>
> It must run in a terminal (no GUI) and it must be able to access
> the source tree through an SSH tunnel, like rsync.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Isn't it what mergemaster does on FreeBSD ?

--
Erwan

Old 07-22-2010, 06:14 PM

Le 14812ième jour après Epoch,
Andre Majorel écrivait:

> Anyone knows of some software that will compare two trees and, for
> each file that differs, show you a diff and ask whether you want
> to update the destination file ?
>
> It must run in a terminal (no GUI) and it must be able to access
> the source tree through an SSH tunnel, like rsync.

Try emacs with <M-x>ediff-directories, maybe with tramp package, and use
the syntax "/hostname:/some/path/to/tree/". It's a must for this kind of
usage.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:26 AM
Anand Sivaram

> Anyone knows of some software that will compare two trees and, for

> each file that differs, show you a diff and ask whether you want

> to update the destination file ?

> It must run in a terminal (no GUI) and it must be able to access

> the source tree through an SSH tunnel, like rsync.

Try emacs with <M-x>ediff-directories, maybe with tramp package, and use

the syntax "/hostname:/some/path/to/tree/". It's a must for this kind of

usage.

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/87k4ono02n.fsf@fermat.tourde.home

Another option is to mount the ssh remote using sshfs and use any standard gui based diff/merge tools like meld, kdiff3 etc.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 07:56:02AM +0530, Anand Sivaram wrote:

> Another option is to mount the ssh remote using sshfs and use any standard
> gui based diff/merge tools like meld, kdiff3 etc.

This means that you have to get both over the wire merely in order to
see the difference. This doesn't scale well if you're interested in
saving bandwidth.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
tzafrir@debian.org | | friend