Old 07-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Paul Cartwright

Default iceweasel vs google-chrome

I just found out I have an issue with audio playing in iceweasel, but NOT in
google-chrome.
I've mostly used iceweasel, but lately, every morning when I try to listen
live to a news show ( http://wsbradio.com/ - listen live) the audio comes out
either garbled, or not at all. usually I just do:
/etc/init.d/alsasound restart . It crashed iceweasel, and when I restart
iceweasel, audio works. Today I decided to just fire up google-chrome, and
went to that listen live, and IT WORKED.

any clues as to the difference in sound capabilities?
--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 07-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Vince Vielhaber

I just found out I have an issue with audio playing in iceweasel, but NOT in
google-chrome.
I've mostly used iceweasel, but lately, every morning when I try to listen
live to a news show ( http://wsbradio.com/ - listen live) the audio comes out
either garbled, or not at all. usually I just do:
/etc/init.d/alsasound restart . It crashed iceweasel, and when I restart
iceweasel, audio works. Today I decided to just fire up google-chrome, and
went to that listen live, and IT WORKED.

any clues as to the difference in sound capabilities?

I have the same problem with firefox. After it's been open for a
few hours that happens to the audio. Doing a killall -9 firefox-bin
and then restarting it (with the killall it'll restore all the tabs
and windows) restores the audio. I've found the same thing if I leave
alsaplayer open overnite. The problem with google-chrome is that it
will run my loads way up (6-10) if I leave it open overnite. I very
seldom close a browser and usually have multiple windows with multiple
tabs open.

Vince.
--
Michigan VHF Corp. http://www.nobucks.net/ http://www.CDupe.com/

Archive: Pine.BSF.4.64.1007220857560.11103@paprika.michvhf. com">http://lists.debian.org/Pine.BSF.4.64.1007220857560.11103@paprika.michvhf. com

Old 07-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Thu July 22 2010, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> > any clues as to the difference in sound capabilities?
>
> I have the same problem with firefox. *After it's been open for a
> few hours that happens to the audio. *Doing a killall -9 firefox-bin
> and then restarting it (with the killall it'll restore all the tabs
> and windows) restores the audio. *I've found the same thing if I leave
> alsaplayer open overnite. *The problem with google-chrome is that it
> will run my loads way up (6-10) if I leave it open overnite. *I very
> seldom close a browser and usually have multiple windows with multiple
> tabs open.

I'll try that killall method, thanks!
I ALWAYS leave my browser open, usually with 4-6 tabs, certain tabs I hit
daily, so why close em.. I started using Chrome because iceweasel was doing
the same thing to my CPU, but it seems to have stopped.
right now, using atop, I see chrome is using 20% of my cpu, Xorg is 16%, but I
am streaming audio from chrome.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Ron Johnson

I just found out I have an issue with audio playing in iceweasel, but NOT in
google-chrome.
I've mostly used iceweasel, but lately, every morning when I try to listen
live to a news show ( http://wsbradio.com/ - listen live) the audio comes out
either garbled, or not at all. usually I just do:
/etc/init.d/alsasound restart . It crashed iceweasel, and when I restart
iceweasel, audio works. Today I decided to just fire up google-chrome, and
went to that listen live, and IT WORKED.

any clues as to the difference in sound capabilities?

No, but I in these modern Web 2.0 times, web pages are much busier
and thus burn more CPU (all the same CPU!), thus making each tab
time slice with all the others.

Presumably you've got ABP and Flashblock installed, which will
noticeably ameliorate the load of IW. Also, running v3.6.4 (with
it's out-of-process plugins feature) from Experimental (but I do see
where it now has the brand new v3.6.7) also greatly helps of
multi-core systems.

--
Seek truth from facts.

Archive: 4C484AB2.6000509@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C484AB2.6000509@cox.net

Old 07-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Thu July 22 2010, Ron Johnson wrote:
> No, but I in these modern Web 2.0 times, web pages are much busier
> and thus burn more CPU (all the same CPU!), thus making each tab
> time slice with all the others.

yeah, I do notice where some tabs have the little spinning thingie up top, and
I will probably X those when I see it.. like weather sites that regenerate
every X minutes, those always eat more CPU..

> Presumably you've got ABP and Flashblock installed, which will
> noticeably ameliorate the load of IW.
hm, don't see Flashblock, but I do have:
ABP
BetterPrivacy
downloadhelper
Forecastfox
greasemonkey
Noscript
Moonlight
OverBiteFF
User Agent Switcher
whatwouldjesusdownload

> Also, running v3.6.4 (with
> it's out-of-process plugins feature) from Experimental (but I do see
> where it now has the brand new v3.6.7) also greatly helps of
> multi-core systems.
I do have a multi-core and atop is showing:
idle: 154%
idle: 79%
idle:75%

chrome 16%
Xorg 16%

IW 3.0.6

Old 07-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Ron Johnson

On 07/22/2010 08:53 AM, Paul Cartwright wrote:

On Thu July 22 2010, Ron Johnson wrote:

No, but I in these modern Web 2.0 times, web pages are much busier
and thus burn more CPU (all the same CPU!), thus making each tab
time slice with all the others.

yeah, I do notice where some tabs have the little spinning thingie up top, and
I will probably X those when I see it.. like weather sites that regenerate
every X minutes, those always eat more CPU..

With Forecastfox why do you need to go to weather pages?

Presumably you've got ABP and Flashblock installed, which will
noticeably ameliorate the load of IW.

hm, don't see Flashblock, but I do have:
ABP
BetterPrivacy
downloadhelper
Forecastfox
greasemonkey
Noscript

I used to have Nosceript, but wound up having to whitelist
everything. So, I uninstalled it.

Moonlight
OverBiteFF
User Agent Switcher
whatwouldjesusdownload

Also, running v3.6.4 (with
it's out-of-process plugins feature) from Experimental (but I do see
where it now has the brand new v3.6.7) also greatly helps of
multi-core systems.

I do have a multi-core and atop is showing:
idle: 154%
idle: 79%
idle:75%

chrome 16%
Xorg 16%

IW 3.0.6

Running Stable/Lenny?

--
Seek truth from facts.

Archive: 4C484F16.7080809@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C484F16.7080809@cox.net

Old 07-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Thu July 22 2010, Ron Johnson wrote:
> With Forecastfox why do you need to go to weather pages?

when severe weather hits, I watch the doppler radar site:
http://www.wsbtv.com/wxmap/1865614/detail.html

it regenerates every 10 Min. or so.. when you live surrounded by 100+' oak
trees 20 feet from your house, you worry about things like that..

> I used to have Nosceript, but wound up having to whitelist
> everything. *So, I uninstalled it.

I don't quite understand.. I'm always blocking sites that redirect to 3rd
party sites, and even when I "temporarily allow this site" , it comes back
with OTHER sites ( ads, pop-ups..) that I still block.

> > I do have a multi-core and atop is showing:
> > idle: 154%
> > idle: 79%
> > idle:75%
> >
> > chrome 16%
> > Xorg 16%
> >
> > IW 3.0.6
>
> Running Stable/Lenny?
uname -a
Linux paulandcilla.homelinux.org 2.6.26-2-686 #1 SMP Mon Jun 21 05:58:44 UTC
2010 i686 GNU/Linux

mostly lenny..
except for:
aptitude search '~S ~i ~Alenny-backports'
i * libmysqlclient-dev * * * * * * *- MySQL database development files * * * * *
i A libmysqlclient16 * * * * * * * *- MySQL database client library * * * * * *
i * libv4l-0 * * * * * * * * * * * *- Collection of video4linux support
librarie
i A mysql-common * * * * * * * * * *- MySQL database common files,
e.g. /etc/myssql

Old 07-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Ron Johnson

On 07/22/2010 10:02 AM, Paul Cartwright wrote:

On Thu July 22 2010, Ron Johnson wrote:

With Forecastfox why do you need to go to weather pages?

when severe weather hits, I watch the doppler radar site:
http://www.wsbtv.com/wxmap/1865614/detail.html

it regenerates every 10 Min. or so.. when you live surrounded by 100+' oak
trees 20 feet from your house, you worry about things like that..

That's why my step-father cut down all the significant trees within
"falling distance" of their house (which still left the small shade
trees).

I used to have Nosceript, but wound up having to whitelist
everything. So, I uninstalled it.

I don't quite understand.. I'm always blocking sites that redirect to 3rd
party sites, and even when I "temporarily allow this site" , it comes back
with OTHER sites ( ads, pop-ups..) that I still block.

IW+ABP has always(?) done an excellent job of suppressing ads and
pop-ups. Honestly, all I noticed after deinstalling Noscript was
the lack of hassle.

--
Seek truth from facts.