Old 07-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Gary Roach

Default Transfering iceweasel bookmark files to new system

Hi;

I am replacing my oldest 1GHZ box with a new 2.65 x 4 GHz box. Both are
running Debian Squeeze. How do I transfer the iceweasel setup from the
one computer to the other and combine the bookmarks from the two units.
As an aside, is there any way to determine the purpose of all of the
files (and their location) that Debian installs with a package.

Gary R

Archive: 4C475A80.9000407@verizon.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C475A80.9000407@verizon.net

Old 07-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Ron Johnson

I am replacing my oldest 1GHZ box with a new 2.65 x 4 GHz box. Both are
running Debian Squeeze. How do I transfer the iceweasel setup from the
one computer to the other and combine the bookmarks from the two units.

Bookmarks->"Organize Bookmarks"

As an aside, is there any way to determine the purpose of all of the
files (and their location) that Debian installs with a package.

Google is how I learned to coy a places.sqlite file from one machine
to the other.

Reusing an in-place .mozilla/firefox tree when migrating from i386
to amd64 proved subtly problematic, though, in many ways.

--
Seek truth from facts.

Archive: 4C476E12.3070304@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C476E12.3070304@cox.net

Old 07-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Thierry Chatelet

On Wednesday 21 July 2010 22:37:20 Gary Roach wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I am replacing my oldest 1GHZ box with a new 2.65 x 4 GHz box. Both are
> running Debian Squeeze. How do I transfer the iceweasel setup from the
> one computer to the other and combine the bookmarks from the two units.
> As an aside, is there any way to determine the purpose of all of the
> files (and their location) that Debian installs with a package.
>
> Gary R
BackUp and Import

Old 07-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Kelly Clowers

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 13:37, Gary Roach <gary719_list1@verizon.net> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I am replacing my oldest 1GHZ box with a new 2.65 x 4 GHz box. Both are
> running Debian Squeeze. How do I transfer the iceweasel setup from the one
> computer to the other and combine the bookmarks from the two units. As an
> aside, is there any way to determine the purpose of all of the files (and
> their location) that Debian installs with a package.

A list of files that are installed from a given package can be seen with
dpkg -L <packagename>

But this will not show files the program creates, in this case, that
includes the directory ~/.mozilla/ and everything under it.

If you are using pre-3.0 iceweasel (I have no idea what version is shipping
where), the main bookmarks file is bookmarks.html in
~/.mozilla/firefox/<profilename>/

Bookmarks are still written out to that file in 3.x and copying it
will work, but
you will lose additional information that is in the sqlite database
"places.sqlite",
so just copy it instead if you use 3.x

If you want, you can just copy the whole ~./mozilla/ dir to a new computer, and
you will get everything - bookmarks, cookies, saved forms, adblock lists, etc.
(this might not work if you moved to a different architecture, e.g. x86 to PPC,
I have never tried that - then again it might).

If you want to keep bookmarks in sync in general, take a look at Mozilla Weave
aka Firefox Sync.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 07-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Kelly Clowers

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 15:00, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 07/21/2010 03:37 PM, Gary Roach wrote:
>>
>> Hi;
>>
>> I am replacing my oldest 1GHZ box with a new 2.65 x 4 GHz box. Both are
>> running Debian Squeeze. How do I transfer the iceweasel setup from the
>> one computer to the other and combine the bookmarks from the two units.
>
> Bookmarks->"Organize Bookmarks"
>
>> As an aside, is there any way to determine the purpose of all of the
>> files (and their location) that Debian installs with a package.
>>

> Google is how I learned to coy a places.sqlite file from one machine to the
> other.
>
> Reusing an in-place .mozilla/firefox tree when migrating from i386 to amd64
> proved subtly problematic, though, in many ways.

What kind of problems? I don't remember having problems... although maybe
that was the 2.x era, or maybe I just don't remember it.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers