Old 07-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Jochen Schulz

Default Upgrading from Lenny to Squeeze - Howto?

Paul Chany:

> I decide today that I'm going to upgrade my Debian GNU/Linux Lenny to
> Squeeze.
>
> I try to search on debian.org site for an exact howto for this, but
> find nothing. Mayhep I don't know how to search effectively?

The keyword you need to look for is "release notes". You will find this
page:

http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/releasenotes

Unfortunately, all of the links on this page lead to a 404 error page.
That means there is no official howto yet. As an approximation, you
might replace "squeeze" with "lenny" in the URL above to look for
lenny's release notes.

Upgrades to squeeze will have its own quirks, for example the
grub->grub2 migration. Maybe wiki.debian.org helps you with these in
case you are going to try it.

(BTW, I have upgraded one of my lenny machines a few weeks ago. Apart
from the grub upgrade, everything went smooth. It is just a little
annoying to keep up with the daily updates on this machine and
postgresql-9.0 isn't installable at the moment.)

J.
--
Scientists know what they are talking about.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 07-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Paul Chany

Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> writes:

> Paul Chany:
>>
>> I decide today that I'm going to upgrade my Debian GNU/Linux Lenny
>> to Squeeze.
>>
>> I try to search on debian.org site for an exact howto for this, but
>> find nothing. Mayhep I don't know how to search effectively?
>
> The keyword you need to look for is "release notes". You will find
> this page:
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/releasenotes
>
> That means there is no official howto yet. As an approximation, you
> might replace "squeeze" with "lenny" in the URL above to look for
> lenny's release notes.

Thanks!

Moreover, I decide to migrate my 32-bit Debian GNU/Linux Lenny
installation to 64-bit one (i386 to x86_64). I'm going to use this
howto: http://wiki.debian.org/Migrate32To64Bit

--
Regards, Paul Chany
You can freely correct me in my English.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On Jul 21, 2010, at 4:23 AM, Paul Chany wrote:

> Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> writes:
>
>> Paul Chany:
>>>
>>> I decide today that I'm going to upgrade my Debian GNU/Linux Lenny
>>> to Squeeze.
>>>
>>> I try to search on debian.org site for an exact howto for this, but
>>> find nothing. Mayhep I don't know how to search effectively?
>>
>> The keyword you need to look for is "release notes". You will find
>> this page:
>>
>> http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/releasenotes
>>
>> That means there is no official howto yet. As an approximation, you
>> might replace "squeeze" with "lenny" in the URL above to look for
>> lenny's release notes.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Moreover, I decide to migrate my 32-bit Debian GNU/Linux Lenny
> installation to 64-bit one (i386 to x86_64). I'm going to use this
> howto: http://wiki.debian.org/Migrate32To64Bit

Just make sure you dd the entire drive over to a backup drive before you try to migrate, unless it's trivial to just start over in the event of a major failure (which can always happen.)

Old 07-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Jochen Schulz

Paul Chany:

> Moreover, I decide to migrate my 32-bit Debian GNU/Linux Lenny
> installation to 64-bit one (i386 to x86_64). I'm going to use this
> howto: http://wiki.debian.org/Migrate32To64Bit

Interesting approach. I would probably just mkfs my swap partition and
debootstrap there. Then reboot into the previous swap partition, clean
the old root and swap back again. That way, you can keep /home, /etc
etc. intact, too.

J.
--
I wish I looked more like a successful person even though I'm a loser.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 07-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Paul Chany

Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> writes:

> On Jul 21, 2010, at 4:23 AM, Paul Chany wrote:
>
>> Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> writes:
>>
>>> Paul Chany:

>>> The keyword you need to look for is "release notes". You will find
>>> this page:
>>>
>>> http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/releasenotes
>>>
>>> That means there is no official howto yet. As an approximation, you
>>> might replace "squeeze" with "lenny" in the URL above to look for
>>> lenny's release notes.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Moreover, I decide to migrate my 32-bit Debian GNU/Linux Lenny
>> installation to 64-bit one (i386 to x86_64). I'm going to use this
>> howto: http://wiki.debian.org/Migrate32To64Bit
>
> Just make sure you dd the entire drive over to a backup drive before
> you try to migrate, unless it's trivial to just start over in the
> event of a major failure (which can always happen.)

Could you please drop me the dd command for this task?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Jordon Bedwell

Here is a little article that explains it (while it might seem out of date it still works ~ gotta love linux for that) http://www.mckeay.net/2004/10/18/using-dd-to-clone-a-hd/

Old 07-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Paul Chany

Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> writes:

> On Jul 21, 2010, at 5:00 AM, Paul Chany wrote:
>>
>> Could you please drop me the dd command for this task?
>
> Here is a little article that explains it (while it might seem out
> of date it still works ~ gotta love linux for that)
> http://www.mckeay.net/2004/10/18/using-dd-to-clone-a-hd/

Can't open this web page.. I'm searching for another page..

man dd is outdated, info dd isn't exist..

Old 07-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Mark Allums

I decide today that I'm going to upgrade my Debian GNU/Linux Lenny to
Squeeze.

I try to search on debian.org site for an exact howto for this, but
find nothing. Mayhep I don't know how to search effectively?

The keyword you need to look for is "release notes". You will find this
page:

http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/releasenotes

Unfortunately, all of the links on this page lead to a 404 error page.
That means there is no official howto yet. As an approximation, you
might replace "squeeze" with "lenny" in the URL above to look for
lenny's release notes.

Upgrades to squeeze will have its own quirks, for example the
grub->grub2 migration. Maybe wiki.debian.org helps you with these in
case you are going to try it.

Another quirk some may come across is the udev problem. Upgrading the
kernel before upgrading udev is essential. I expect this will be in the
release notes eventually. Many people have upgraded successfully
without knowing this, probably by upgrading both at once, but it is
worth knowing.

(The current squeeze udev requires a recent kernel version, version
2.6.26 is too old; see bug #571255.)

Archive: 4C470BBF.9040507@allums.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C470BBF.9040507@allums.com

Old 07-22-2010, 12:01 AM
Greg Madden

On Wednesday 21 July 2010 02:13:20 Paul Chany wrote:
> Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> writes:
> > On Jul 21, 2010, at 5:00 AM, Paul Chany wrote:
> >> Could you please drop me the dd command for this task?
> >
> > Here is a little article that explains it (while it might seem out
> > of date it still works ~ gotta love linux for that)
> > http://www.mckeay.net/2004/10/18/using-dd-to-clone-a-hd/
>
> Can't open this web page.. I'm searching for another page..
>
> man dd is outdated, info dd isn't exist..
>
> --
> Regards, Paul Chany
> You can freely correct me in my English.
> http://csanyi-pal.info

'dd' works well and is on all/most *nix boxes. It takes lots of time though,
using one of the other imaging apps is much faster, if time is an issue.

There are numerous rescue cd's , most ,afaik, use 'partimage' .

Clonezilla, system rescue cd, etc.

'dd' is a part off coreutils, it is a 'required' package of Lenny.
--
Peace,

Greg