Old 07-21-2010, 05:15 AM
David Purton

Default Using Arial Narrow in OpenOffice.org

Is it presently possible to use the "Arial Narrow" font in Open Office
under sid?

It appears to be installed ok (along with Arial):

$ fc-list :family=Arial
Arial,Arial Narrow:style=Narrow,Normal,obyčejné,Standard,Κ νονικά,Regular,Normaali,Normál,Normale,Sta ndaard,Normalny,Обычный,Normálne,Navadno,A rrunta
Arial:style=Bold Italic,Negreta cursiva,tučné kurz*va,fed kursiv,Fett Kursiv,Έντονα *λάγια,Negrita Cursiva,Lihavoitu Kursivoi,Gras Italique,Félkövér dőlt,Grassetto Corsivo,Vet Cursief,Halvfet Kursiv,Pogrubiona kursywa,Negrito Itálico,Полужирный Курсив,Tučná kurz*va,Fet Kursiv,Kalın İtalik,Krepko poševno,nghiêng đậm,Lodi etzana
Arial,Arial Narrow:style=Narrow,Negreta cursiva,tučné kurz*va,fed kursiv,Fett Kursiv,Έντονα *λάγια,Bold Italic,Negrita Cursiva,Lihavoitu Kursivoi,Gras Italique,Félkövér dőlt,Grassetto Corsivo,Vet Cursief,Halvfet Kursiv,Pogrubiona kursywa,Negrito Itálico,Полужирный Курсив,Tučná kurz*va,Fet Kursiv,Kalın İtalik,Krepko poševno,Lodi etzana
Arial:style=Italic,Cursiva,kurz*va,kursiv,*λά ια,Kursivoitu,Italique,Dőlt,Corsivo,Cursief,Ku rsywa,Itálico,Курсив,İtalik,Poševno,nghi ng,Etzana
Arial:style=Regular,Normal,obyčejné,Standard,Κ νονικά,Normaali,Normál,Normale,Standaard,N ormalny,Обычный,Normálne,Navadno,thường ,Arrunta
Arial,Arial Narrow:style=Narrow,Negreta,tučné,fed,Fett,Έν ονα,Bold,Negrita,Lihavoitu,Gras,Félkövér,Gr assetto,Vet,Halvfet,Pogrubiony,Negrito,Полуж рный,Fet,Kalın,Krepko,Lodia
Arial:style=Bold,Negreta,tučné,fed,Fett,Έντο να,Negrita,Lihavoitu,Gras,Félkövér,Grassetto, Vet,Halvfet,Pogrubiony,Negrito,Полужирны ,Fet,Kalın,Krepko,đậm,Lodia
Arial,Arial Narrow:style=Narrow,Cursiva,kurz*va,kursiv,*λά για,Italic,Kursivoitu,Italique,Dőlt,Corsivo,Cu rsief,Kursywa,Itálico,Курсив,İtalik,Pošev no,Etzana

My Open Office Font Dialog offers me the follow Faces for the Arial
family (Arial Narrow is not present as a stand-alone family - I gather
this is the New World Order):

Narrow,Normal,Cursiva,Italic,Bold,Negreta,Bold Italic,Negreta Cursiva

(Yes my locale is correctly set, and yes something is screwed up with
languages somewhere in font-config or openoffice)

But Selecting the Narrow Style has no effect, Arial Normal is used. I
document from Word which uses Arial Narrow is also not rendered
correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I need to print some lecture notes
which use Arial Narrow and don't want to have to reformat an entire
document in a stupid word processor.

[For comparison, Inkscape offers me the following styles for Arial:
Regular, Condensed, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic. Scribus offers me:
Regular, Italic, Bold, Bold Italic, Narrow, Narrow (ArialNarrow),
Narrow (ArialNarrow-Italic), Narrow (ArialNarrow-BoldItalic). Ironically
the Narrow style with nothing in parentheses is Arial Narrow Bold...]

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@marshwiggle.net

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
2 Chronicles 16:9a

Old 07-21-2010, 06:31 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 15:15:57 +1000, David Purton wrote:

> Is it presently possible to use the "Arial Narrow" font in Open Office
> under sid?
>
> It appears to be installed ok (along with Arial):
>
> $ fc-list :family=Arial

(...)

Mmm... I get:

sm01@stt008:~$ fc-list :family="Arial Narrow"
Arial Narrow:style=Negrita Cursiva,Negreta cursiva,tučné kurz*va,fed kursiv,Fett Kursiv,Έντονα *λάγια,Bold Italic,Lihavoitu Kursivoi,Gras Italique,Félkövér dőlt,Grassetto Corsivo,Vet Cursief,Halvfet Kursiv,Pogrubiona kursywa,Negrito Itálico,Полужирный Курсив,Krepko poševno,Fet Kursiv,Kalın İtalik,Lodi etzana
Arial Narrow:style=Cursiva,kurz*va,kursiv,*λάγια, Italic,Kursivoitu,Italique,Dőlt,Corsivo,Cursief,K ursywa,Itálico,Курсив,Poševno,İtalik,Etza na
Arial Narrow:style=Negrita,Negreta,tučné,fed,Fett,Έν τονα,Bold,Lihavoitu,Gras,Félkövér,Grassetto ,Vet,Halvfet,Pogrubiony,Negrito,Полужирны й,Krepko,Fet,Kalın,Lodia
Arial Narrow:style=Normal,obyčejné,Standard,Κανον ικά,Regular,Normaali,Normál,Normale,Standaard, Normalny,Обычный,Navadno,Arrunta

In my case, I've got the TrueType font for "Arial Narrow" installed,
which displays fine within any application.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-22-2010, 11:36 PM
David Purton

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 06:31:00AM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 15:15:57 +1000, David Purton wrote:
>
> > Is it presently possible to use the "Arial Narrow" font in Open Office
> > under sid?
> >
> > It appears to be installed ok (along with Arial):
> >
> > $ fc-list :family=Arial
>
> (...)
>
> Mmm... I get:
>
> sm01@stt008:~$ fc-list :family="Arial Narrow"
> Arial Narrow:style=Negrita Cursiva,Negreta cursiva,tučné kurz*va,fed kursiv,Fett Kursiv,Έντονα *λάγια,Bold Italic,Lihavoitu Kursivoi,Gras Italique,Félkövér dőlt,Grassetto Corsivo,Vet Cursief,Halvfet Kursiv,Pogrubiona kursywa,Negrito Itálico,Полужирный Курсив,Krepko poševno,Fet Kursiv,Kalın İtalik,Lodi etzana
> Arial Narrow:style=Cursiva,kurz*va,kursiv,*λάγια, Italic,Kursivoitu,Italique,Dőlt,Corsivo,Cursief,K ursywa,Itálico,Курсив,Poševno,İtalik,Etza na
> Arial Narrow:style=Negrita,Negreta,tučné,fed,Fett,Έν τονα,Bold,Lihavoitu,Gras,Félkövér,Grassetto ,Vet,Halvfet,Pogrubiony,Negrito,Полужирны й,Krepko,Fet,Kalın,Lodia
> Arial Narrow:style=Normal,obyčejné,Standard,Κανον ικά,Regular,Normaali,Normál,Normale,Standaard, Normalny,Обычный,Navadno,Arrunta
>
> In my case, I've got the TrueType font for "Arial Narrow" installed,
> which displays fine within any application.

As a Separate family? Maybe that is an older font? I only have access to
the onw off Windows 7, which seems to be included in the Arial family by
fontconfig. What I was hoping was for some sort of fontconfig
configuration magic which could cause Arial Narrow to be treated as a
separate family from Arial even with the newer font.

FWIW:

$ otfinfo -i /usr/local/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-microsoft/ARIALN.TTF
Family: Arial Narrow
Subfamily: Regular
Full name: Arial Narrow
PostScript name: ArialNarrow
Preferred family: Arial
Preferred subfamily: Narrow
Version: Version 2.37
Unique ID: Arial Narrow Regular : 2006
serif design, Arial contains more humanist characteristics than many of
its predecessors and as such is more in tune with the mood of the last
decades of the twentieth century. The overall treatment of curves is
softer and fuller than in most industrial-style sans serif faces.
Terminal strokes are cut on the diagonal which helps to give the face a
less mechanical appearance. Arial is an extremely versatile family of
typefaces which can be used with equal success for text setting in
reports, presentations, magazines etc, and for display use in
newspapers, advertising and promotions.
Designer: Robin Nicholas, Patricia Saunders
Manufacturer: The Monotype Corporation
Trademark: Arial is a trademark of The Monotype Corporation in
the United States and/or other countries.
Copyright: © 2006 The Monotype Corporation. All Rights
Reserved.
License Description: You may use this font to display and print content
as permitted by the license terms for the product in which this font is
included. You may only (i) embed this font in content as permitted by
the embedding restrictions included in this font; and (ii) temporarily
download this font to a printer or other output device to help print
content.

cheers

dc

Old 07-23-2010, 06:29 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 09:36:52 +1000, David Purton wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 06:31:00AM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> Mmm... I get:
>>
>> sm01@stt008:~$ fc-list :family="Arial Narrow" Arial
>> Narrow:style=Negrita Cursiva,Negreta cursiva,tučné kurz*va,fed
>> kursiv,Fett Kursiv,Έντονα *λάγια,Bold Italic,Lihavoitu Kursivoi,Gras
>> Italique,Félkövér dőlt,Grassetto Corsivo,Vet Cursief,Halvfet
>> Kursiv,Pogrubiona kursywa,Negrito Itálico,Полужирный Курсив,Krepko
>> poševno,Fet Kursiv,Kalın İtalik,Lodi etzana

(...)

>> In my case, I've got the TrueType font for "Arial Narrow" installed,
>> which displays fine within any application.
>
> As a Separate family? Maybe that is an older font?

Yes and yes :-)

It's from a Windows XP installation and it reads "version 2.30", a bit
older than yours.

> I only have access to
> the onw off Windows 7, which seems to be included in the Arial family by
> fontconfig. What I was hoping was for some sort of fontconfig
> configuration magic which could cause Arial Narrow to be treated as a
> separate family from Arial even with the newer font.

I can send you the involved *.ttf" files (there are 4 faces: "normal",
"bold", "bold italic" and "normal italic"), for you to make some tests.
That way we could discard the error comes from the font file or you are
facing another configuration problem :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón