Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   ETA on Debian whois client compatible with new ARIN whois service (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/401501-eta-debian-whois-client-compatible-new-arin-whois-service.html)

Stan Hoeppner 07-20-2010 04:03 AM

ETA on Debian whois client compatible with new ARIN whois service
 
Anyone know when the Debian whois client will be upgraded to be compatible
with the changes in the ARIN whois service?

http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-announce/2010-July/001044.html

--
Stan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4C45200A.7010701@hardwarefreak.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C45200A.7010701@hardwarefreak.com

Jordon Bedwell 07-20-2010 04:08 AM

ETA on Debian whois client compatible with new ARIN whois service
 
On Jul 19, 2010, at 11:03 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Anyone know when the Debian whois client will be upgraded to be compatible
> with the changes in the ARIN whois service?
>
> http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-announce/2010-July/001044.html
>
> --
> Stan
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4C45200A.7010701@hardwarefreak.com
>


You don't even give them time to learn the new changes and get it done. They just announced it not to long ago, actually, last Thursday if i remember right, do you think they just instantly update for non-critical things almost overnight?

--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 11F57384-8FF5-417D-BCCE-3241747EB45E@envygeeks.com">http://lists.debian.org/11F57384-8FF5-417D-BCCE-3241747EB45E@envygeeks.com

Stan Hoeppner 07-20-2010 05:17 AM

ETA on Debian whois client compatible with new ARIN whois service
 
Jordon Bedwell put forth on 7/19/2010 11:08 PM:
>
> On Jul 19, 2010, at 11:03 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>
>> Anyone know when the Debian whois client will be upgraded to be compatible
>> with the changes in the ARIN whois service?
>>
>> http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-announce/2010-July/001044.html

> You don't even give them time to learn the new changes and get it done. They just announced it not to long ago, actually, last Thursday if i remember right, do you think they just instantly update for non-critical things almost overnight?

"A demo of this service has been available since October 2009. The
demonstration service is available at
http://whoisrws-demo.arin.net."
From: https://www.arin.net/announcements/2010/20100611.html

The announcement of the new API was sometime last year, before October when
they put the demo server up, giving developers at least 9 months of lead time
before the new service went live. The announcement of July 15 was merely a
"relaunch" of the service which showed problems when it was officially
launched for the first time on June 26, 2010.

Your apparent outrage over my simple question is unjustified, Jordan.

--
Stan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4C45317A.1020606@hardwarefreak.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C45317A.1020606@hardwarefreak.com

Jordon Bedwell 07-20-2010 05:27 AM

ETA on Debian whois client compatible with new ARIN whois service
 
On Jul 20, 2010, at 12:17 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> "A demo of this service has been available since October 2009. The
> demonstration service is available at
> http://whoisrws-demo.arin.net."
> From: https://www.arin.net/announcements/2010/20100611.html
>
> The announcement of the new API was sometime last year, before October when
> they put the demo server up, giving developers at least 9 months of lead time
> before the new service went live. The announcement of July 15 was merely a
> "relaunch" of the service which showed problems when it was officially
> launched for the first time on June 26, 2010.
>
> Your apparent outrage over my simple question is unjustified, Jordan.
>
> --
> Stan
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4C45317A.1020606@hardwarefreak.com
>

I fail to see the outrage (since there was none, I will note to sugar coat replies for now on), and I fail to see how you managed to spell my name wrong (which is somewhat of an insult to be honest). If you knew months ago, why did you not bring this up in a ticket months ago? It would have been much more viable (and feasible) to bring it up months in advance (to the developers) then it would have to expect them (again) to instantly patch it after it's final release. While I have no doubt the package maintainer will update soon, you can't always expect that (take a look at some of our major packages some servers rely on which take a while), try checking sid and see if it has an updated package. There is a wishlist on the ticket system.

--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 75B15145-C539-4FE8-A89F-AEED6B0AB8F9@envygeeks.com">http://lists.debian.org/75B15145-C539-4FE8-A89F-AEED6B0AB8F9@envygeeks.com

Sven Joachim 07-20-2010 05:32 AM

ETA on Debian whois client compatible with new ARIN whois service
 
On 2010-07-20 06:03 +0200, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Anyone know when the Debian whois client will be upgraded to be compatible
> with the changes in the ARIN whois service?

Doesn't 5.0.6 work? The changelog suggests it should:

,----
| whois (5.0.6) unstable; urgency=medium
| [...]
| * Do not use the "AS" prefix for ASN queries to whois.arin.net.
| (Closes: #583798)
|
| -- Marco d'Itri <md@linux.it> Sun, 11 Jul 2010 16:49:19 +0200
`----

Sven


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 878w56d8gi.fsf@turtle.gmx.de">http://lists.debian.org/878w56d8gi.fsf@turtle.gmx.de

Stan Hoeppner 07-20-2010 04:46 PM

ETA on Debian whois client compatible with new ARIN whois service
 
Jordon Bedwell put forth on 7/20/2010 12:27 AM:
> I fail to see the outrage (since there was none, I will note to sugar coat replies for now on), and I fail to see how you managed to spell my name wrong (which is somewhat of an insult to be honest). If you knew months ago, why did you not bring this up in a ticket months ago? It would have been much more viable (and feasible) to bring it up months in advance (to the developers) then it would have to expect them (again) to instantly patch it after it's final release. While I have no doubt the package maintainer will update soon, you can't always expect that (take a look at some of our major packages some servers rely on which take a while), try checking sid and see if it has an updated package. There is a wishlist on the ticket system.

Jordon,

Please re-read my original post and demonstrate to the list where I expressed
that I, using your words, "expect them (again) to instantly patch it after
it's final release".


Stan Hoeppner put forth on 7/19/2010 11:03 PM:
> Anyone know when the Debian whois client will be upgraded to be compatible
> with the changes in the ARIN whois service?


--
Stan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4C45D2E2.4060909@hardwarefreak.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C45D2E2.4060909@hardwarefreak.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:36 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.