Old 07-19-2010, 07:27 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Default Grub, MBR's on several hard drives?

I recall reading that if the system has multiple hard drives it is a
good idea mbr's on each of the hard drives all pointing to the same root
directory located on one of the hard drives.

Is this correct?

If this is correct how is this best done with grub?

Tom

Old 07-20-2010, 07:51 AM
Camaleón

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:27:45 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:

> I recall reading that if the system has multiple hard drives it is a
> good idea mbr's on each of the hard drives all pointing to the same root
> directory located on one of the hard drives.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> If this is correct how is this best done with grub?

I'm not sure to fully understand your question.

Although you have multiple hard drives and many OSs on them, only one of
the disks will be marked in BIOS as the first boot device to boot from.

So, ideally, GRUB (installed in the first bootable hard disk's MBR -or
installed in the first sector of an active partition-) should handle/care
the booting of the remaining OSs (by direct booting or chain-loading).

I, personally, prefer having generic bootstrap code in MBR and GRUB
installed on its own system/root partition.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-22-2010, 12:13 AM
Rob Owens

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 03:27:45PM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> I recall reading that if the system has multiple hard drives it is a
> good idea mbr's on each of the hard drives all pointing to the same root
> directory located on one of the hard drives.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> If this is correct how is this best done with grub?

I think this applies mainly for RAID configurations. If you only have
grub installed on one drive, and that drive goes bad, you will end up
with a usable system but no way to boot it.

-Rob