Old 07-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Alex PADOLY

Default CARTE SON PCI EXEPRESS

At the moment, it would seem that it is preferable to buy an external
sound "card" USB to have a sound with a new generation of PC (64 bits):
http://www.terratec.net/fr/produits/technical-data/produkte_technische_daten_fr_52787.html

Regards.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Kelly Clowers

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 10:55, Alex PADOLY <alex.padoly@laposte.net> wrote:

>> Message du 19/07/10 16:25
>> De : "Dominique Pautrel"
>> A : "Alex PADOLY"
>> Copie à :
>> Objet : Re: CARTE SON PCI EXEPRESS
>>

>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> Le 19/07/2010 16:08, Alex PADOLY a écrit :
>> >

>> > Hi,
>> > I am going to do my PC and I look for to make it a compatible 100 % LINUX
>> > sound car on PCI EXPRESS, I readed the LINUX HARDWARE HOW-TO, it is
>> > not clear for me to choose a basic sound card on EXPRESS bus PCI
>> > recognized by LINUX.
>> > Thank you for your help concerning this delicate choice.
>> > Regards.
>> > Alex
>> >
>> > Une messagerie gratuite, garantie à vie et des services en plus, ça vous tente ?
>> > Je crée ma boîte mail www.laposte.net
>> >

>> It seem like if you posted on a french list !
>> Perhaps you've got more success if you post on the Alsa user list,
>> dedicated to audio cards :

>> Regards.
>> Dom.
>>

> At the moment, it would seem that it is preferable to buy an external
> sound "card" USB to have a sound with a new generation of PC (64 bits):
> http://www.terratec.net/fr/produits/technical-data/produkte_technische_daten_fr_52787.html

USB is for flash drives, printers, etc.
Nothing good ever comes of using USB for sound or LAN

OP, M-Audio makes good cards as does Asus (Xonar series). Just don't
get anything from Creative. You would have more choice if you went PCI
instead of PCIe, and PCIe doesn't really have any particular benefits for
sound cards (unless you are building a small form-factor computer that
only has PCIe slots or something).

Actually, unless you are doing something special with audio (producing
music or DJing or something), it really makes sense to go with the
onboard sound chip. Via Envy24 chips are good, as are most that
conform to the Intel HDA spec (including the very common Realtek
chips that implement that spec (ALC88x and ALC1200)) .

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 07-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Kelly Clowers

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 01:14, Michal <michal@sharescope.co.uk> wrote:

>> USB is for flash drives, printers, etc.
>> Nothing good ever comes of using USB for sound or LAN
>>
>> OP, M-Audio makes good cards as does Asus (Xonar series). Just don't
>> get anything from Creative. You would have more choice if you went PCI
>> instead of PCIe, and PCIe doesn't really have any particular benefits for
>> sound cards (unless you are building a small form-factor computer that
>> only has PCIe slots or something).
>>
>> Actually, unless you are doing something special with audio (producing
>> music or DJing or something), it really makes sense to go with the
>> onboard sound chip. Via Envy24 chips are good, as are most that
>> conform to the Intel HDA spec (including the very common Realtek
>> chips that implement that spec (ALC88x and ALC1200)) .
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Kelly Clowers
>>

> Have external sound card moves the processing off the CPU, good if you have
> a low powered computer or are trying to get the maximum out of it, gaming
> for example (Though admittedly most hardcore gaming is done on Windows). You
> do also get better quality from an external card, but whether you would
> notice that is down to the person, and debatable

An onboard sound chip does the same processing as a PCI sound card -
they are not like winmodems. True, a card can get you better sound, but
the modern onboard chips are darn good, unlike the ones from say, 6+
years ago which where pretty sad.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 07-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Christopher Judd

On Wednesday 21 July 2010 05:36:57 Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 01:14, Michal <michal@sharescope.co.uk> wrote:
> >> USB is for flash drives, printers, etc.
> >> Nothing good ever comes of using USB for sound or LAN
> >>
> >> OP, M-Audio makes good cards as does Asus (Xonar series). Just don't
> >> get anything from Creative. You would have more choice if you went PCI
> >> instead of PCIe, and PCIe doesn't really have any particular benefits
> >> for sound cards (unless you are building a small form-factor computer
> >> that only has PCIe slots or something).
> >>
> >> Actually, unless you are doing something special with audio (producing
> >> music or DJing or something), it really makes sense to go with the
> >> onboard sound chip. Via Envy24 chips are good, as are most that
> >> conform to the Intel HDA spec (including the very common Realtek
> >> chips that implement that spec (ALC88x and ALC1200)) .
> >>

> >> Cheers,
> >> Kelly Clowers
> >
> > Have external sound card moves the processing off the CPU, good if you
> > have a low powered computer or are trying to get the maximum out of it,
> > gaming for example (Though admittedly most hardcore gaming is done on
> > Windows). You do also get better quality from an external card, but
> > whether you would notice that is down to the person, and debatable
>
> An onboard sound chip does the same processing as a PCI sound card -
> they are not like winmodems. True, a card can get you better sound, but
> the modern onboard chips are darn good, unlike the ones from say, 6+
> years ago which where pretty sad.

But onboard soundchips are sometimes affected by interference/crosstalk from
other functions on the mainboard.

-Chris

| Christopher Judd, Ph. D. |
| Research Scientist III |
| NYS Dept. of Health judd@wadsworth.org |
| Wadsworth Center - ESP |
| P. O. Box 509 518 486-7829 |
| Albany, NY 12201-0509 |

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It
is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Ron Johnson

[...]

Intel, IIRC, tried at one point about 15 years ago to migrate most
audio processing on-CPU.

the modern onboard chips are darn good, unlike the ones from say, 6+
years ago which where pretty sad.

But onboard soundchips are sometimes affected by interference/crosstalk from
other functions on the mainboard.

So, *if* the on-board sound is unacceptable *then* buy an sound card.

--
Seek truth from facts.

Archive: 4C489DB6.6030702@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C489DB6.6030702@cox.net

Old 07-23-2010, 05:06 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Ron Johnson put forth on 7/22/2010 2:36 PM:

> Intel, IIRC, tried at one point about 15 years ago to migrate most audio
> processing on-CPU.

For the current state of such things see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC%2797
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_High_Definition_Audio

The heavy lifting of audio processing, specifically the AD/DA conversion, is
still today handled by dedicated silicon and other analog electronic
components, not software on the host CPU.

To perform the AD/DA directly on the CPU would require analog circuits built
into the CPU itself along with additional socket pins and main board wires to
the input output jacks. It would also require output analog line drivers with
variable AC voltage--an audio amplifier--built into the CPU.

It would be difficult, if not impossible, to add the required voltage
regulators, capacitors, and resistor networks required for analog output
circuits directly onto the CPU. These and many other factors will pretty much
forever prevent a complete audio solution from being integrated directly into
a general purpose CPU.

The main benefit of AC97 and later specifications is that they almost
instantly became defacto industry standards, which eliminated most/all of the
proprietary software interfaces of the previous age of sound cards, epitomized
by the Creative Multimedia SoundBlaster. This made writing sound device
drivers for all operating systems much more straight forward and eliminated
many existing software compatibility problems in the PC sound industry.

--
Stan