Old 07-19-2010, 05:03 PM
T o n g

Default ftp client that understands utf8

Hi,

Is there a ftp client in Debian that understands utf8, i.e, handling utf8
file or directory names correct?

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 07-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Kumar Appaiah

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 05:03:02PM +0000, T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a ftp client in Debian that understands utf8, i.e, handling utf8
> file or directory names correct?

I am not sure, but lftp might work[1].

HTH.

Kumar

[1]: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=436566
--
C:> WIN
Bad command or filename

C:> LOSE

Old 07-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 19 iul 10, 17:03:02, T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a ftp client in Debian that understands utf8, i.e, handling utf8
> file or directory names correct?

I didn't test, but I expect most of them (if not all) to work correctly.
Which one did you try already?

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-19-2010, 07:44 PM
T o n g

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 20:10:08 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:

>> Is there a ftp client in Debian that understands utf8, i.e, handling
>> utf8 file or directory names correct?
>
> I didn't test, but I expect most of them (if not all) to work correctly.
> Which one did you try already?

ftp (the vanilla CLI), gftp-gtk

Old 07-20-2010, 04:22 AM
Alexander Batischev

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 05:03:02PM +0000, T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a ftp client in Debian that understands utf8, i.e, handling utf8
> file or directory names correct?

ncftp would be my advice.

If you're looking for something with GUI, check out Filezilla - it's GTK. It
have special field where you can specify any encoding you like.

Alexander Batischev

1024D/69093C81
F870 A381 B5F5 D2A1 1B35 4D63 A1A7 1C77 6909 3C81

Old 07-21-2010, 04:10 PM
T o n g

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 17:03:02 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> Is there a ftp client in Debian that understands utf8, i.e, handling
> utf8 file or directory names correct?

Thanks every one who replied.

Yes, both lftp and ncftp worked fine.

Thanks again.