Old 07-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Mathieu Malaterre

Default Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko' in 2.6.32-5-686 kernel

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Jason Filippou
<jason.filippou@gmail.com> wrote:
> Which steps should I follow to compile the NVIDIA driver into the new kernel?

Are you using squeeze ? If so I would suggest:

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/nvidia-kernel-dkms

-> apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms

I am using module-assistant on my debian lenny box, but this require
some tweaking.

HTH
--
Mathieu

Old 07-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Angus Hedger

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2010-07-18 11:22 +0200, Jason Filippou wrote:
>
>> I just installed the new 2.6.32-5-686 kernel and I've been having
>> trouble installing the NVIDIA linux display driver. Usually this
>> process required of me only to download the linux-headers for the
>> relevant kernel release and then running the shell script provided by
>> NVIDIA on their website. I tried doing this with the 190.53 driver,
>> which is an old driver that worked perfectly for me, and the newest
>> 256.35 driver provided by NVIDIA.
>
> I would recommend to use the Debian packages (nvidia-glx etc.) instead.
>
>> In both cases, I get the ordinary
>> message about the CC check that failed because the gcc version that
>> was used to compile my kernel was not the same as the one used to
>> compile the driver and I also see the "compiling kernel module"
>> progress bar filling up to 100%. After this, I get the following
>> message:
>>
>> "Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This happens most
>> frequently when this kernel module was build against the wrong or
>> improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that
>> differs from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver
>> such as rivafb/nvidiafb is present apd prevents the NVIDIA kernel
>> module from obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s), or
>> NVIDIA GPU installed in this system is not supported by the NVIDIA
>> LINUX graphics driver release."
>
> The reason is that "a driver such as rivafb/nvidiafb is present…",
> namely the nouveau module which is new in 2.6.32-5. Â*You need to
> blacklist it (see modprobe.conf(5) and reboot to get rid of it.
>
> If you had used the Debian packages this would not have happened,
> because the nvidia-kernel-common package blacklists nouveau for you.
>
> Sven

Or, you can use the sgfxi scrip if you need/want newer drivers than
are in squeeze

See here: http://techpatterns.com/forums/about933.html

Regards,

Angus

ps I had some problems with the problems with the 32bit compat libs on
AMD64 not being install correctly via sgfxi, unfortunately I had to
run the nvidia installer again to fix it (ie not via sgfxi) but the
script did the blacklisting for me so that helped.