Old 07-16-2010, 11:34 PM
scar

Default Synaptic / Could not download all repository indexes

Old 07-17-2010, 06:57 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Vi, 16 iul 10, 16:34:59, scar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> when i try to check for updates with synaptic or the update manager, i
> get that error above. further information in the error message:
>
> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/updates/main/source/Sources:
> 404 Not Found [IP: 35.9.37.225 80]
> $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
> deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny/updates main
This one should be:

deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-17-2010, 06:53 PM
scar

Old 07-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sb, 17 iul 10, 11:53:29, scar wrote:

> Thanks. while i never manually edited the sources.list file, i did use
> software-properties-gtk to "select best server" (Main tab, Download From
> dropdown menu, Other, select best server button). it seems like there
> is a bug in that algorithm and i was able to reproduce it just now.
>
> after correcting my sources.list with the line you provided and reloaded
> my repositories, everything finished fine without any error. then, i
> went back to 'select best server' and, oddly, it picked a server in new
> zealand, ftp.nz.debian.org. i then checked my sources.list and it
> looked like this:
>
> $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> # deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main
>
> deb ftp://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian/ lenny main
> deb-src ftp://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian/ lenny main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
> deb-src ftp://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian/ lenny/updates main
>
> deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
> deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
>
> # Backported packages for Debian Lenny
> deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main contrib non-free
> $
>
> and, after checking for updates, i got the initial error again.

This was already reported

Andrei

Old 07-19-2010, 04:44 AM
scar

Old 07-19-2010, 06:37 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Du, 18 iul 10, 21:44:53, scar wrote:
> Andrei Popescu @ 07/18/2010 01:17 AM:
> > This was already reported
>
> good job finding that! how were you able? i searched for many strings
> in the bugs and didn't find anything....

I went to bugs.debian.org/software-properties-gtk (a.k.a. all unarchived
bugs for the respective package) and looked at the bug titles
On packages with lots of bugs I also do a page search for specific
strings.

The same result can probably be obtained with the right search, but
usually just looking at the bugs is enough if you know where to look and
it also gives you an overview about the general state of the package.

Regards,
Andrei