Old 07-16-2010, 08:26 PM
vr

Default Loop device is read only

I can't seem to write to an image I downloaded and mounted as a loop
device?

# ls -l /opt | grep floppy
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 18 10:08 floppy

# mount -o loop fdbasecd.iso /opt/floppy/
#

# grep loop /etc/mtab
/dev/loop0 /opt/floppy iso9660 rw 0 0

# mount | grep loop
/dev/loop0 on /opt/floppy type iso9660 (rw)

# touch /opt/floppy/test
touch: cannot touch `/opt/floppy/test': Read-only file system

# ls -l /opt
dr-xr-xr-x 4 root root 2048 Sep 4 2006 floppy

I don't think it's the ISO... I downloaded it here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.0/fdbasecd.iso

What could cause my permission to go from 755 to 555?

How can I put some more data into this ISO?

or alternatively... my need is to get a Supermicro BIOS update into a
bootable DOS diskette image or cdrom image that I will then mount as
virtual media with Supermicro's IPMIView tool. If there's a better way,
please suggest. Thanks!

Old 07-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Erwan David

On 16/07/10 22:26, vr wrote:
> I can't seem to write to an image I downloaded and mounted as a loop
> device?
>
> # ls -l /opt | grep floppy
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 18 10:08 floppy
>
> # mount -o loop fdbasecd.iso /opt/floppy/
> #
>
> # grep loop /etc/mtab
> /dev/loop0 /opt/floppy iso9660 rw 0 0
>
> # mount | grep loop
> /dev/loop0 on /opt/floppy type iso9660 (rw)
>
> # touch /opt/floppy/test
> touch: cannot touch `/opt/floppy/test': Read-only file system
>
> # ls -l /opt
> dr-xr-xr-x 4 root root 2048 Sep 4 2006 floppy
>

> I don't think it's the ISO... I downloaded it here:
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.0/fdbasecd.iso
>

> What could cause my permission to go from 755 to 555?
>
> How can I put some more data into this ISO?
>

> or alternatively... my need is to get a Supermicro BIOS update into a
> bootable DOS diskette image or cdrom image that I will then mount as
> virtual media with Supermicro's IPMIView tool. If there's a better way,
> please suggest. Thanks!

Is iso9660 a writable file system ? I doubt.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:42 AM
Anand Sivaram