Old 07-16-2010, 03:33 PM
"H.S."

Default How to reread changed udev rules without rebooting?

I just now had to change my /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
file so that a new network card be give the same number (it was being
given eth2 while I wanted eth0). After tweaking udev rules, can I have
them reapplied, or the rules reread, without having to reboot? If yes,
how? I have tried restarting udev and hal, but that didn't work out for me.

Thanks.

Archive: i1pu3t$sto$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i1pu3t$sto$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file so that a new network
card be give the same number (it was being given eth2 while I wanted
eth0). After tweaking udev rules, can I have them reapplied, or the
rules reread, without having to reboot? If yes, how? I have tried
restarting udev and hal, but that didn't work out for me.

Try removing the kernel module responsible for the card and installing
it again.

--
Living in LA is like not having a date on Saturday night.
-- Candice Bergen

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Archive: 20100716124856.69615ttbxdxphb40@mail.kalinowski.co m.br">http://lists.debian.org/20100716124856.69615ttbxdxphb40@mail.kalinowski.co m.br

Old 07-16-2010, 04:15 PM
"H.S."

given eth2 while I wanted eth0). After tweaking udev rules, can I have
them reapplied, or the rules reread, without having to reboot? If yes,
how? I have tried restarting udev and hal, but that didn't work out
for me.

Try removing the kernel module responsible for the card and installing
it again.

I will give it a shot. Thanks.

Archive: i1q0ir$5v8$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i1q0ir$5v8$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Greg Madden

On Friday 16 July 2010 08:15:23 H.S. wrote:
> On 10-07-16 11:48 AM, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> > On Sex, 16 Jul 2010, "H.S." wrote:
> >> given eth2 while I wanted eth0). After tweaking udev rules, can I have
> >> them reapplied, or the rules reread, without having to reboot? If yes,
> >> how? I have tried restarting udev and hal, but that didn't work out
> >> for me.
> >
> > Try removing the kernel module responsible for the card and installing
> > it again.
>
> I will give it a shot. Thanks.

There is a 'udev' script in '/etc/init.d'. maybe doing a restart on it will do
the trick.

--
Peace,

Greg

Old 07-17-2010, 07:48 AM
jaan vaart

udevadm trigger perhaps?

--
jvaart

Old 07-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 10:47:28AM -0800, Greg Madden wrote:

> There is a 'udev' script in '/etc/init.d'. maybe doing a restart on it will do
> the trick.

'reload' would also do the trick there. And create less work for the
system. It only asks udevd to re-read the rules.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
tzafrir@debian.org | | friend