Old 07-16-2010, 02:56 PM
"H.S."

Default kernel panic error

On 16/07/10 05:59 AM, Sunita Barve wrote:
> I have been using debian 5.0.3. I had changed disk and had connected on two
> different machines. Now I am getting the following error

I am in a similar situation.

> kinit: trying to resume from /dev/sda5
> kinit:No resume image, doing normal boot...
> Target filesystem doesnt have /sbin/init.
> run-init: /bin/sh: No such file or directory
>
> [ 5.449855] Kernel Panic - not syncing : Attempted to kill init!
>
> can anyone help me to sort out this error.

And I am getting similar errors. Can you post what are the grub lines
for the kernel you are trying to boot in? Also, what are the disc
partitions like in this machine (which is "/", "/boot")?

ever having been read.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:24 PM
"H.S."

I have been using debian 5.0.3. I had changed disk and had connected on two
different machines. Now I am getting the following error

I am in a similar situation.

kinit: trying to resume from /dev/sda5
kinit:No resume image, doing normal boot...
Target filesystem doesnt have /sbin/init.
run-init: /bin/sh: No such file or directory

[ 5.449855] Kernel Panic - not syncing : Attempted to kill init!

can anyone help me to sort out this error.

And I am getting similar errors. Can you post what are the grub lines
for the kernel you are trying to boot in? Also, what are the disc
partitions like in this machine (which is "/", "/boot")?

The solution in my case was to fix the grub's boot stanza for the
relevant kernel. The drives' names may change in different computers. My
solution was to put the UUIDs of the partitions for "/" and "/boot" (I
have these on different partitions), instead of their patition names
like /dev/sda2, in the boot stanza. If you want, I can post the stanza
from the /boot the machine as an example.

Archive: i1ptjm$r3d$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i1ptjm$r3d$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-17-2010, 03:36 AM
Anand Sivaram

[...]

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/i1ptjm$r3d$1@dough.gmane.org

It is necessary to use initrd image while using UUID.* So UUID method may not work with custom kernels where drivers are compiled in.* To find the uuids of of a non working system, first boot with a live/boot cd and issue either "blkid" or "ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid"

Update grub accordingly.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:53 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sb, 17 iul 10, 09:06:02, Anand Sivaram wrote:

> It is necessary to use initrd image while using UUID. So UUID method may
> not work with custom kernels where drivers are compiled in.

Could you please elaborate on that? How can UUID fail if you have
modules compiled in the kernel, since UUID is a property of the
filesystem?

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Anand Sivaram

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 12:23, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sb, 17 iul 10, 09:06:02, Anand Sivaram wrote:

> It is necessary to use initrd image while using UUID. *So UUID method may

> not work with custom kernels where drivers are compiled in.

Could you please elaborate on that? How can UUID fail if you have

modules compiled in the kernel, since UUID is a property of the

filesystem?

Regards,

Andrei

@Andrei,

Even if every driver is compiled into the kernel, an initrd may be required to
use root=UUID=....format.
That is what my experience too, finally I swithed to root=/dev/sda2

There are many suggestions that root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/....
could be used instead without an initrd.

See the link,

Old 07-18-2010, 08:09 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sb, 17 iul 10, 23:10:39, Anand Sivaram wrote:

> > Could you please elaborate on that? How can UUID fail if you have
> > modules compiled in the kernel, since UUID is a property of the
> > filesystem?
>
> Even if every driver is compiled into the kernel, an initrd may be required
> use root=UUID=....format.
> That is what my experience too, finally I swithed to root=/dev/sda2
> There are many suggestions that root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/....
> could be used instead without an initrd.
>
> See the link,

The link only talks about /dev/disk/by-uuid/... which is correct. Those
are actually symlinks created by udev and I'm guessing they are not
present if you don't have an initrd. But passing root=UUID=... should
not require an initrd, because it doesn't rely on /dev being present.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Anand Sivaram