Old 07-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Martin Kraus

Default apt, find circular dependencies

Hi.
Is there a way to find circular dependencies in apt? Meaning groups of
packages that aren't used by any programs and are installed only because a
depends on b, b on c, c on d and d on a?

thank you for help
mk

Old 07-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Tom Furie

Hi Martin,

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 02:53:08PM +0200, Martin Kraus wrote:

> Is there a way to find circular dependencies in apt? Meaning groups of
> packages that aren't used by any programs and are installed only because a
> depends on b, b on c, c on d and d on a?

I don't know about other apt tools, but aptitude resolves these
situations automatically, so long as the packages in question are marked
as being automatically installed.

Cheers,
Tom

--
Q: What do they call the alphabet in Arkansas?
A: The impossible dream.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Vi, 16 iul 10, 19:35:13, Tom Furie wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 02:53:08PM +0200, Martin Kraus wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to find circular dependencies in apt? Meaning groups of
> > packages that aren't used by any programs and are installed only because a
> > depends on b, b on c, c on d and d on a?
>
> I don't know about other apt tools, but aptitude resolves these
> situations automatically, so long as the packages in question are marked
> as being automatically installed.

Not in my experience. I installed some package to try out and on purge
most of the dependencies stayed. I had to use aptitude's log to search
for the culprit(s).

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Vi, 16 iul 10, 14:53:08, Martin Kraus wrote:
> Hi.
> Is there a way to find circular dependencies in apt? Meaning groups of
> packages that aren't used by any programs and are installed only because a
> depends on b, b on c, c on d and d on a?

There was recently a thread on debian-devel about circular dependencies,
IIRC the method used was also mentioned.

Regards,
Andrei