FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Bernard
 
Default help needed in installing 3G+ usb modem

Hi to Everyone,

I have already tried a lot of things to get this to work on my laptop
running Ubuntu 8.04. I also carried tests on my desktop on Debian Lenny,
with no results in either system.


Some people got very similar models of 3G key to work on Ubuntu. They
have recommended that I carry a few tests, but none gave satisfactory
results, and they don't know what more to advise. I thought that, maybe
someone here would have a better experience.


Whenever I plug that modem in a usb slot, it first acts as if it was a
mass storage device. Nothing wrong with this, have I been told : the
data space contains programs for MSWIN install. The device must
therefore be switched so as to be reckognized as a modem, which may be
done using various means. You need "usb-modeswitch" and "comgt"
packages. None of them were on my system, nor were they available in the
'Hardy' repositories, so I went fetching them as .deb packages meant for
a more recent distro. They seemed to have installed flawlessly. However,
I can't get any result.


At first, I don't know how to launch usb_modeswitch. It may be that it
is supposed to work automatically. In any case, my usbmodem does not
switch from storage to modem. The man page is really poor, as it does
not explain what you must exactly write in your statement :


SYNOPSIS
usb-modeswitch [-hvpVPmMrdHn] [-c filename]

with no mention of what target you must write after this.

sudo usb_modeswitch

Error : could not find file /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf

I wrote one with two lines from an example taken from another version of
usb_modeswitch, which version I could not install (this is a tarball
which compiles here with errors). Then


sudo usb_modeswitch -c /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf

No default vendor/product ID given. Aborting

Nowhere was it written that you had to specify a default vendor/product.
I tried a few things as vendor/product, including what you find in the
usb_modeswitch-data files for your modem, that is 19d2:2000 then
0x19d2/0x2000 and various other names... to no avail.


I tried :

sudo comgt -d /dev/ttyUSB0

comgt 20:44:46 -> -- Error Report --
comgt 20:44:46 -> Error @6 line 1, Can't control /dev/ttyUSB0, please
try again


I can try any time I want, same result. It more often happens that,
instead of the above message, I only get : "Can' open /dev/ttyUSB0. I
also get this if I test USB1, USB2...


I have also tried the 'vodaphone' package which failed too.

My USB modem is a ZTE (Huwei abcd).

lsusb says :

Bus 007 Device 007: ID 19d2:2000

dmesg says :

usb 7-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
usb 7-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
scsi12 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usb-storage: device found at 7
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning

(but if I wait, nothing changes)

That usb modem DOES WORK under MSWIN (I tried it)

I have got another one, of the same vendor, but from another mobile
provider. For this other one, I still don't have the SIM card, still I
tried it to see what would happen ; I even tried it with the alien SIM
card in it. It does not work either, even though both models are known
to work under Linux, as reported by several people on various lists.
This one gives very similar messages with dmesg, same reply with comgt
-d /dev/ttyUSB0, and lsusb says : ID 12d1:1446 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.


Thanks in advance for your comments




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4C3F5CE8.2080505@teaser.fr">http://lists.debian.org/4C3F5CE8.2080505@teaser.fr
 
Old 07-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Joe
 
Default help needed in installing 3G+ usb modem

On 15/07/10 20:09, Bernard wrote:

Hi to Everyone,

I have already tried a lot of things to get this to work on my laptop
running Ubuntu 8.04. I also carried tests on my desktop on Debian Lenny,
with no results in either system.


My USB modem is a ZTE (Huwei abcd).



It would probably help if you said what the actual model is. Mine is a
ZTE/Huwei MF627, which has worked without problem or configuration on
Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 and 9.10.


My first approach to hardware issues is generally to find an operating
system where it does work. Windows, unfortunately, is of no use, but a
recent Ubuntu Live or Knoppix is usually worth a try. There has been a
lot of recent work in the 3G modem area now that they are fairly affordable.


I did get this model working on a previous OS, either sid or an earlier
Ubuntu, I'm not sure which, but before usb_modeswitch was easily
available. I found it along with a lot of useful 3G modem information on
Liam Green-Hughes' site:


http://www.greenhughes.com/

--
Joe


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4C3F7203.4000808@jretrading.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C3F7203.4000808@jretrading.com
 
Old 07-15-2010, 08:50 PM
green
 
Default help needed in installing 3G+ usb modem

Bernard wrote at 2010-07-15 14:09 -0500:
> At first, I don't know how to launch usb_modeswitch. It may be that
> it is supposed to work automatically. In any case, my usbmodem does
> not switch from storage to modem. The man page is really poor, as it
> does not explain what you must exactly write in your statement :
>
> SYNOPSIS
> usb-modeswitch [-hvpVPmMrdHn] [-c filename]

> Nowhere was it written that you had to specify a default
> vendor/product.

Later in the man page, see -v and -p options.
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/karmic/man1/usb_modeswitch.1.html

> lsusb says :
>
> Bus 007 Device 007: ID 19d2:2000

I googled "19d2:2000" and got this; perhaps it will help you:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-665332.html
 
Old 07-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Christian Jaeger
 
Default help needed in installing 3G+ usb modem

> Whenever I plug that modem in a usb slot, it first acts as if it was a mass
> storage device. Nothing wrong with this, have I been told : the data space
> contains programs for MSWIN install. The device must therefore be switched
> so as to be reckognized as a modem, which may be done using various means.
> You need "usb-modeswitch" and "comgt" packages. None of them were on my
> system, nor were they available in the 'Hardy' repositories, so I went
> fetching them as .deb packages meant for a more recent distro. They seemed
> to have installed flawlessly. However, I can't get any result.

Check my email "How to get Bell Canada 3G USB network up?" from july
9. I posted the script that works for my modem, maybe you can adapt it
for yours.

Although I'm still stuck trying to get ppp to work for my modem, I'm
now on my way trying HSO (feedback welcome).

Christian.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTikTmdRorrTIonO66V9Jy9ijGw_9yYzt7aP-Q9aO@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTikTmdRorrTIonO66V9Jy9ijGw_9yYzt7aP-Q9aO@mail.gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:50 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org