Old 07-15-2010, 04:05 PM
"H.S."

Default simple way to securely destroy deleted files in a file system

I have a couple of hard disks in a computer which is to be recycled. I
want the windows OS in it to remain functional, but I want to be sure
that I have deleted all my personal files securely (never used the OS
that much anyway and there is hardly any important info in its registry
or browser). There are a number of documents that were deleted in
Windows the usual way (Shift+del) and I just want to make them
unrecoverable.

Its first and second partitions (sdc1 and sdc2) are vfat. I was thinking
of mounting these on /mnt/scd1 (and scd2) and then doing:
# dd if=/dev/zero > /mnt/sdc1/zeros.bin; rm -f /mnt/sdc1/zeros.bin

and the same for scd2. The idea is fill the partition with new data thus
overwriting any deleted files' data that is lying around. Would that be
adequate? The objective is just to prevent a casual recovery, reading
and copying of the data by a future user, so I don't need multiple
over-writes.

ever having been read.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Wolodja Wentland

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 12:05 -0400, H.S. wrote:

> I have a couple of hard disks in a computer which is to be recycled. I
> want the windows OS in it to remain functional, but I want to be sure
> that I have deleted all my personal files securely (never used the OS
> that much anyway and there is hardly any important info in its registry
> or browser). There are a number of documents that were deleted in
> Windows the usual way (Shift+del) and I just want to make them
> unrecoverable.
>
> Its first and second partitions (sdc1 and sdc2) are vfat. I was thinking
> of mounting these on /mnt/scd1 (and scd2) and then doing:
> # dd if=/dev/zero > /mnt/sdc1/zeros.bin; rm -f /mnt/sdc1/zeros.bin
>
> and the same for scd2. The idea is fill the partition with new data thus
> overwriting any deleted files' data that is lying around. Would that be
> adequate? The objective is just to prevent a casual recovery, reading
> and copying of the data by a future user, so I don't need multiple
> over-writes.

Take a look at "secure-delete" which contains "sfill" which can be used
to fill the available free space on a hd with random (and specifically
crafted) data to ensure that data recovery is impossible. I am not sure
if it works with vfat though :-

good luck

Wolodja
--