Old 07-15-2010, 01:44 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Default OT:Video Capture From Camcorder

Camcorder output is composite (two RCA jacks)

I bought one device which I can't get to work. Any products known to
work with Debian Squeeze? I don't want to repeat my mistake.

Tom

Old 07-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Vince Vielhaber

Camcorder output is composite (two RCA jacks)

I bought one device which I can't get to work. Any products known to
work with Debian Squeeze? I don't want to repeat my mistake.

What did you buy so noone else makes the same mistake?

Vince.
--
Michigan VHF Corp. http://www.nobucks.net/ http://www.CDupe.com/

Archive: Pine.BSF.4.64.1007150945470.11103@paprika.michvhf. com">http://lists.debian.org/Pine.BSF.4.64.1007150945470.11103@paprika.michvhf. com

Old 07-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Rob Owens

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 09:44:09AM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> Camcorder output is composite (two RCA jacks)
>
> I bought one device which I can't get to work. Any products known to
> work with Debian Squeeze? I don't want to repeat my mistake.

My older video camera has a "digital" output, which accepts a firewire
jack. If you don't have this, then the next best thing is to use the
composite output that you mentioned. For that you'll need some kind of
capture device. Off the top of my head, I'd recommend a Hauppauge
PVR-150. It's an older capture card, 720x480 max, and you can probably
get them cheap on ebay or elsewhere. That card is supported in Debian
Lenny. It captures and encodes the video in MPEG-2 format.

-Rob

Old 07-16-2010, 02:45 PM
"Thomas H. George"

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 09:46:14AM -0400, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010, Thomas H. George wrote:
>
> >Camcorder output is composite (two RCA jacks)
> >
> >I bought one device which I can't get to work. Any products known to
> >work with Debian Squeeze? I don't want to repeat my mistake.
>
> What did you buy so noone else makes the same mistake?
>
> Vince.

I've reconsidered, the problem may be with my setup. For the record the
device is a Kworld VS-USB 2800D. When the USB connection is made the
EM2960/SAA74X chip is recognized and assignments are made to /dev/video0
and /dev/vbi0. Then the command xawtv results in an error message: X
Error of failed request: XF86DGANoDirectVideoMode.

Searching Google I have not found step-by-step instructions to set this
device up so my results to date are just trial and error attempts. I
have confirmed that libxxf86dga1 and libxxf86dga-dev are installed.

We have house guests so I must abandon my attempts until next week

Tom