Old 07-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Stephen Powell

Default When is best time to upgrade lenny to squeeze

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:22:11 -0400 (EDT), Jordan Metzmeier wrote:
> On 07/14/2010 11:52 AM, Johnny wrote:
>> When is best time to upgrade from lenny to squeeze.
>> I use my computer daily
>
> After squeeze becomes the stable release and lenny becomes old stable.
> At this time, there will be squeeze release notes detailing the upgrade
> process.

I tend to agree. I know from painful experience that doing an upgrade
by "winging it", can sometimes leave one with a broken system. Following
the release notes is important. And the release notes are usually not
up to date until the release becomes the stable release. If you must
upgrade sooner, you can usually, but not always, follow the release notes
from the previous release, but there is usually a wrinkle or two that
is unique to the current release. I know, for example, that there will
be boot loader issues involving hook scripts, etc. And these are not
documented in the Lenny release notes.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 07-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Stephen Powell put forth on 7/14/2010 12:28 PM:

> I know, for example, that there will
> be boot loader issues involving hook scripts, etc. And these are not
> documented in the Lenny release notes.

Stephen, I found the following somewhat related information a bit refreshing.
I'm hoping it's a sign that lilo may be kept in the distro after all. /me
crosses fingers

From: http://www.debian.org/News/2010/20100626

Kernel Updates

The kernel images included in this point release incorporate a number of
important and security-related fixes together with support for additional
hardware.

On the amd64 and i386 architectures, support has been re-introduced for
automatically running the lilo bootloader when a kernel image is added,
updated or removed in order to ensure that this is correctly registered with
the bootloader.

--
Stan

Old 07-17-2010, 01:16 PM
"Jesús M. Navarro"

Johnny:

On Wednesday 14 July 2010 17:52:57 Johnny wrote:
> Hi
> I am sorry if someone has already has asked this ? on the list
> When is best time to upgrade from lenny to squeeze.
> I use my computer daily

What do you mean by "best"? Maybe what is "best" for you is not "best" for
others.

That's the real concern.

Cheers.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:33 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Wednesday 14 July 2010 10:52:57 Johnny wrote:
> I am sorry if someone has already has asked this ? on the list
> When is best time to upgrade from lenny to squeeze.
> I use my computer daily

Are you happy with Lenny? Are you using lenny-backports?

If you are happy with Lenny and are not using lenny-backports, the I'd stick
with Lenny (at least) until release time.

If you are using lenny-backports, you should upgrade as soon as Squeeze is
released. After the release, lenny-backports may not have a clean upgrade
path to Squeeze / squeeze-backports.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 07-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Mon July 19 2010, you wrote:
> You should assume you are using lenny-backports.
I am, I have this in my sources.list file:
deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main contrib non-free

> It is possible you do not have any software installed from that repository,
> which means it would not affect your upgrade. *The assumption that you are
> using it is safer though.
how would I know?

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 07-19-2010, 10:10 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Monday 19 July 2010 15:09:58 Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Mon July 19 2010, you wrote:
> > You should assume you are using lenny-backports.
>
> I am, I have this in my sources.list file:
> deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main contrib non-free
>
> > It is possible you do not have any software installed from that
> > repository, which means it would not affect your upgrade. The
> > assumption that you are using it is safer though.
>
> how would I know?

printf 'You are ' && { [ $(aptitude search '~S ~i ~Alenny-backports' | wc -l)
-lt 1 ] || printf 'not '; } && printf 'using lenny-backports.
'

Old 07-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Paul Cartwright

On Tue July 20 2010, you wrote:
> > $ printf 'You are ' &&
> >
> > > {
> > >
> > > * * * * [ $(aptitude search '~S ~i ~Alenny-backports' | wc -l) -ge 1 ]
> > >
> > > } &&
> > > printf 'using lenny-backports.
'

> > You are using lenny-backports.

> The script takes that output and runs it through "wc -l" to count the
> number of lines (packages). *It that's less than (-lt) 1, i.e. 0, it
> negates the sentence being output.

so if I wanted the LIST of packages that I have installed using backports, it
would be like this?

$ aptitude search '~S ~i ~Alenny-backports'
i libmysqlclient-dev - MySQL database development files
i A libmysqlclient16 - MySQL database client library
i libv4l-0 - Collection of video4linux support
librarie
i A mysql-common - MySQL database common files,
e.g. /etc/mys

Old 07-20-2010, 09:39 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Tuesday 20 July 2010 03:56:08 Paul Cartwright wrote:
> so if I wanted the LIST of packages that I have installed using backports,
> it would be like this?
>
> $ aptitude search '~S ~i ~Alenny-backports'
> i libmysqlclient-dev - MySQL database development files
> i A libmysqlclient16 - MySQL database client library
> i libv4l-0 - Collection of video4linux support
> librarie
> i A mysql-common - MySQL database common files,
> e.g. /etc/mys

Yes.

Note that a "simple" query like that (e.g. (aptitude search '~S ~i
~Aunstable')) doesn't necessarily work with a mixed testing/unstable (or more
complex) system, since package versions can be available from multiple
archives. The backports project has a naming policy in place so their package
versions are never the same as an official package version, so this simple
query works as is.

I tend to use queries like this on my mixed system to determine how far I've
drifted from stable. Right now, on my laptop, 686/1312 packages are from
stable, 100/1312 are from backports, and 526/1312 are from testing. Once I'm
running "mostly" testing, I'll probably just read the current draft of the
release notes and do an upgrade at that time.

It looks like that might be soon, too. ghc6 is having fits compiling my code
that uses the HDBC-PostgreSQL package and I think it might be do to some
change in symbol generation or mangling between gcc-4.3.2 (stable, currently
installed) and gcc-4.4.4 (testing, and what ghc6 and libghc6-* packages are
compiled with).

Old 07-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Paul Cartwright

On Tue July 20 2010, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> I tend to use queries like this on my mixed system to determine how far
> I've drifted from stable. *Right now, on my laptop, 686/1312 packages are
> from stable, 100/1312 are from backports, and 526/1312 are from testing.
> *Once I'm running "mostly" testing, I'll probably just read the current
> draft of the release notes and do an upgrade at that time.

back to the original question on the thread so, considering that I only have
4 packages installed from backports, what is the squeeze schedule, and I
assume now is too early to upgrade?

Old 07-20-2010, 10:00 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Tuesday 20 July 2010 05:55:37 Paul Cartwright wrote:
> back to the original question on the thread so, considering that I only
> have 4 packages installed from backports, what is the squeeze schedule,
> and I assume now is too early to upgrade?

Yes. Wait until the official release announcement. At that point, the
release notes will contain upgrade information, which should involve the
following steps:
0. Edit sources.list and update your apt cache.
1. Upgrade aptitude, apt, and perl.
2. Upgrade the kernel.
3. Reboot into the new kernel.
4. Upgrade the rest of the system.
5. Reboot into the new udev version.

(Because of udev-related issues, this is a 2-reboot upgrade; most Debian
upgrades are single-reboot.)