Old 07-14-2010, 02:42 PM
"H.S."

Default audio not working on amd64

On 14/07/10 10:22 AM, H.S. wrote:
> If I go to Settings->System Settings->Multimedia and do a "Test" on the
> various devices, the motherboard's audio does produce any sound, but I
> can hear the audio if I do it on my headphones.

Sorry, forgot the "not" there. It should be ".. the motherboard's audio
does not produce any sound, but I can ... "

ever having been read.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:13 PM
"H.S."

On 14/07/10 10:42 AM, H.S. wrote:
> On 14/07/10 10:22 AM, H.S. wrote:
>> If I go to Settings->System Settings->Multimedia and do a "Test" on the
>> various devices, the motherboard's audio does produce any sound, but I
>> can hear the audio if I do it on my headphones.
>
> Sorry, forgot the "not" there. It should be ".. the motherboard's audio
> does not produce any sound, but I can ... "

I checked the syslog file and noticed some messages from pulseaudio
(things like "ratelimit.c: 10 events suppressed ") which are not unusual
AFAIK.

I then booted into Fedora 13 which is also amd64 and in which the sound
was working. It wasn't working anymore there either. I then booted in to
Windows 7; sound was working there.

I was checking for sings of the problem in Fedora and Debian when I
noticed that the clocks were not synced to a time server in both. Time
in Fedora was off which I fixed by making it check an ntp time server.
Time in Debian correct, but it was not checking any time server. I made
to do that as well. And right after this change I rebooted and now the
sound is working.

So, was it just the clock?

Meanwhile, Ekiga doesn't see any sound devices now. In its Audio section
of Preferences, sound devices are all grayed out and it doesn't detect
any when I click on "detect".

ever having been read.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Klaus Wolf

Hi,

I know the problem with pulseaudio since it is in the reposity. It=s not
only in debian. The same appears in Ubuntu.
Therefore since pulseaudio exists I allways remove it from installation
and after that setup alsa and oss. So thats works very well for me. For
me it must be a bad joke that pulse got into the reposities.

best regards

klaus

Old 07-14-2010, 05:53 PM
"H.S."

On 14/07/10 12:13 PM, H.S. wrote:

> So, was it just the clock?
>
> Meanwhile, Ekiga doesn't see any sound devices now. In its Audio section
> of Preferences, sound devices are all grayed out and it doesn't detect
> any when I click on "detect".

Looks like Ekiga is working fine too now. I just replugged in the USB
head set, restarted Ekiga and first selected my internal analog audio
devices and did an echo test. It worked. Then I selected the USB headset
in the audio devices (the choices were not grayed out now, replugging it
probably fixed it) and it worked as well.

Ekiga, however, is not listing pulseaudio as an option in the devices
list and appears to be using Alsa. I suppose that is why Ekiga does not
appear in the list of applications using sound system in Pulseaudio's
Playback list of devices (in Volume Control, pavucontrol). I am yet to
search google if there is a 'fix' for this though it is not a big
problem (one of the advantage of Pulseaudio is that one can change the
devices on the fly, which may not be necessary with Ekiga).

All I need to look for now is to see if this Ekiga and audio stuff is
stable.

ever having been read.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Rob Owens

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 01:53:27PM -0400, H.S. wrote:
> On 14/07/10 12:13 PM, H.S. wrote:
> >
> > So, was it just the clock?
> >
> > Meanwhile, Ekiga doesn't see any sound devices now. In its Audio section
> > of Preferences, sound devices are all grayed out and it doesn't detect
> > any when I click on "detect".
>
> Looks like Ekiga is working fine too now. I just replugged in the USB
> head set, restarted Ekiga and first selected my internal analog audio
> devices and did an echo test. It worked. Then I selected the USB headset
> in the audio devices (the choices were not grayed out now, replugging it
> probably fixed it) and it worked as well.
>
> Ekiga, however, is not listing pulseaudio as an option in the devices
> list and appears to be using Alsa. I suppose that is why Ekiga does not
> appear in the list of applications using sound system in Pulseaudio's
> Playback list of devices (in Volume Control, pavucontrol). I am yet to
> search google if there is a 'fix' for this though it is not a big
> problem (one of the advantage of Pulseaudio is that one can change the
> devices on the fly, which may not be necessary with Ekiga).
>
> All I need to look for now is to see if this Ekiga and audio stuff is
> stable.

I've been using pulseaudio for several years now on Lenny. I need it
for sound in LTSP.

Anyway, there's a package called pulseaudio-esound-compat that you might
want to install. It allows an with no native pulseaudio support to
interface w/ the pulseaudio system.

By the way, I use Ekiga and it works. Although I'm not 100% sure if
other apps can use the audio system at the same time as Ekiga (never
tried it).

-Rob

Old 07-15-2010, 09:23 PM
"H.S."

On 15/07/10 04:17 PM, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 01:53:27PM -0400, H.S. wrote:
>>
>> All I need to look for now is to see if this Ekiga and audio stuff is
>> stable.
>>
> I've been using pulseaudio for several years now on Lenny. I need it
> for sound in LTSP.
>
> Anyway, there's a package called pulseaudio-esound-compat that you might

The package is already installed (I didn't install it specifically).

> want to install. It allows an with no native pulseaudio support to
> interface w/ the pulseaudio system.
>
> By the way, I use Ekiga and it works. Although I'm not 100% sure if
> other apps can use the audio system at the same time as Ekiga (never
> tried it).

Yeah, since my last report of Ekiga working, there has been no problems.
It appears to be stable and had survived reboots and changing of audio
devices gracefully.

So it appears that it was just a question of something having gone wrong
during my testing with USB headset, and the primary cause appears to be
the wrong settings of my clock. Since I fixed the system clock, there
have been no problems in audio at all (no clicks in the speakers, no
errors from pulseaudio in syslog, Ekiga working).

At present if my board's audio is being used by another application
(playing a video, e.g.), Ekiga cannot use it and displays the warning.
But Ekiga works if it uses a different device, so while playing a video
on my system (system's audio being used), Ekiga works properly with my
USB headset. I think this "problem" will be solved if Ekiga is made to
use pulseaudio ... still looking into this.

ever having been read.