Old 07-14-2010, 08:56 AM
Alan Chandler

Default Is it gdm3 that is logging me out?

Over the past few weeks there has been a change in my system behaviour.

I frequently get back to my screen to find the gdm greeter inviting me
to log in again. At first I thought it might have been the screen
saver, but unlike when the screensaver wants you to login in, all the
programs that were running seem to have terminated. In other words it
appears I have been logged out.

This is extremely annoying - edits that I might have been making are not
saved - and more than once now I have lost quite a bit of work.

I can't see how to turn this behaviour off. The screen saver is NOT set
to lock the screen. I can't see any options set in /etc/gdm3 anywhere
that might cause me to get logged off after a timeout.

I am sure there is a configuration controlling this somewhere. Can
anyone point me to it.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Archive: 4C3D7BDA.90907@chandlerfamily.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4C3D7BDA.90907@chandlerfamily.org.uk

Old 07-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 09:56:58 +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
> Over the past few weeks there has been a change in my system behaviour.
>
> I frequently get back to my screen to find the gdm greeter inviting
> me to log in again. At first I thought it might have been the
> screen saver, but unlike when the screensaver wants you to login in,
> all the programs that were running seem to have terminated. In
> other words it appears I have been logged out.
>
> This is extremely annoying - edits that I might have been making are
> not saved - and more than once now I have lost quite a bit of work.
>
> I can't see how to turn this behaviour off. The screen saver is NOT
> set to lock the screen. I can't see any options set in /etc/gdm3
> anywhere that might cause me to get logged off after a timeout.
>
> I am sure there is a configuration controlling this somewhere. Can
> anyone point me to it.

My first suspicion would be a crash of the X server with a subsequent
automatic restart of gdm. Do you see signs of an X server restart or
anything else that looks suspicious in /var/log/Xorg.0.log or
/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old or /var/log/syslog? Does your screensaver of
choice use fancy accelerated graphics which could trigger bugs in your
video driver that crash the X server?

--
Regards, |
Florian |

Old 07-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Bob Proulx

Florian Kulzer wrote:
> Do you see signs of an X server restart or
> anything else that looks suspicious in /var/log/Xorg.0.log or
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old or /var/log/syslog?

See also the ~/.xsesssion-errors file.

Bob

Old 07-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Bob Proulx

Bob Proulx wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > Do you see signs of an X server restart or
> > anything else that looks suspicious in /var/log/Xorg.0.log or
> > /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old or /var/log/syslog?
>
> See also the ~/.xsesssion-errors file.

Oops. I typed that in too fast and spelled it wrong.

~/.xsession-errors

How embarrassing!

Bob

Old 07-15-2010, 06:28 AM
Alan Chandler

Do you see signs of an X server restart or
anything else that looks suspicious in /var/log/Xorg.0.log or
/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old or /var/log/syslog?

See also the ~/.xsesssion-errors file.

Bob

Nothing in either of these files this morning - but I just booted up and
didn't have any problems since the last time I booted. Thanks for the
heads up though,I will check them out if it happens again.

--

Archive: 4C3EAAA8.5050607@chandlerfamily.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4C3EAAA8.5050607@chandlerfamily.org.uk

Old 07-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Alan Chandler

Do you see signs of an X server restart or
anything else that looks suspicious in /var/log/Xorg.0.log or
/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old or /var/log/syslog?

See also the ~/.xsesssion-errors file.

Bob

Nothing in either of these files this morning - but I just booted up and
didn't have any problems since the last time I booted. Thanks for the
heads up though,I will check them out if it happens again.

It has happened again whilst I was having lunch today. System had been
idle for about 4 hours and when I came back to it I had been logged out.
Only 15 minutes ago (so it had worked perfectly up until then) it
created an /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old file with ...

Fatal server error:
Failed to submit batchbuffer: Input/output error

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional
informati

on.

(II) Power Button: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Sleep Button: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Logitech Logitech Illuminated Keyboard: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Logitech Logitech Illuminated Keyboard: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch

--

Archive: 4C4310EE.4000707@chandlerfamily.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4C4310EE.4000707@chandlerfamily.org.uk

Old 07-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 15:34:22 +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:

> >>See also the ~/.xsesssion-errors file.

[...]

> It has happened again whilst I was having lunch today. System had
> been idle for about 4 hours and when I came back to it I had been
> logged out. Only 15 minutes ago (so it had worked perfectly up
> until then) it created an /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old file with ...
>
> Fatal server error:
> Failed to submit batchbuffer: Input/output error

That is a problem with the video driver; your GPU is choking on a set of
instructions that it is supposed to execute. Which video chipset do you
use, which version of the X server and which kernel? (An Intel 845
series chipset with Sid's Xorg and kernel, maybe?)

--
Regards, |
Florian |

Old 07-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Du, 18 iul 10, 15:34:22, Alan Chandler wrote:

> Fatal server error:
> Failed to submit batchbuffer: Input/output error

I've never seen this error, but did you try to google it? Do you have
enough space on all partitions (especially /tmp)? How about a full fsck?

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Alan Chandler

Failed to submit batchbuffer: Input/output error

I've never seen this error, but did you try to google it? Do you have
enough space on all partitions (especially /tmp)? How about a full fsck?

I did try to google it - vague references to problems with the Intel
Chipset - but no solutions that I could find.

--

Archive: 4C438427.1030102@chandlerfamily.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4C438427.1030102@chandlerfamily.org.uk

Old 07-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Alan Chandler

Do you see signs of an X server restart or
anything else that looks suspicious in /var/log/Xorg.0.log or
/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old or /var/log/syslog?

See also the ~/.xsesssion-errors file.

[...]

It has happened again whilst I was having lunch today. System had
been idle for about 4 hours and when I came back to it I had been
logged out. Only 15 minutes ago (so it had worked perfectly up
until then) it created an /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old file with ...

Fatal server error:
Failed to submit batchbuffer: Input/output error

That is a problem with the video driver; your GPU is choking on a set of
instructions that it is supposed to execute. Which video chipset do you
use, which version of the X server and which kernel? (An Intel 845
series chipset with Sid's Xorg and kernel, maybe?)

I am running Squeeze, with Xorg and latest kernel - the chipset is an
Intel 965 (I think - motherboard is an Intel DG965S)