Old 07-13-2010, 11:36 PM
T o n g

Default Control/change the apt caching server on the fly

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 20:20:15 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:

>> I want to find a way to setup my laptop so that it use my local caching
>> server at home, yet easily to switch to direct connection when
>> elsewhere.
>>

> apt-get and aptitude respect the environment variables http_proxy and
> ftp_proxy.

Hmmm... I knew that. The problem is that my http_proxy points to my squid
server.

Did you really mean http_proxy, not soap_use_proxy?

cheers

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 07-13-2010, 11:59 PM
Liam O'Toole

On 2010-07-13, T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 20:20:15 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
>
>>> I want to find a way to setup my laptop so that it use my local caching
>>> server at home, yet easily to switch to direct connection when
>>> elsewhere.
>>>

>> apt-get and aptitude respect the environment variables http_proxy and
>> ftp_proxy.
>
> Hmmm... I knew that. The problem is that my http_proxy points to my squid
> server.

Why not point it to something else when required?

> Did you really mean http_proxy, not soap_use_proxy?

I meant http_proxy. I am not familiar with soap_use_proxy.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland

Old 07-14-2010, 03:35 AM
T o n g

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 23:59:20 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:

> Why not point it to something else when required?

Good point. works fine. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Rob Owens

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 04:48:58PM +0000, T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Instead of specifying the caching machine in a file like /etc/apt/
> apt.conf.d/02proxy, is it possible to set the apt caching server via some
> environment variable?
>
> I want to find a way to setup my laptop so that it use my local caching
> server at home, yet easily to switch to direct connection when elsewhere.

I've got the same issue. I was thinking of this, but I've never tried
it:

deb http://my.proxy/ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main

and get rid of your 02proxy file.

I think this might use the first deb line (which points to your proxy),
and fall back to the 2nd deb line if the first is unavailable. Or maybe
some pinning needs to happen. Anyway, it's an idea I've been thinking
of testing out.

-Rob