Old 07-13-2010, 04:43 PM
"H.S."

Default Debian amd64 not detecting my network card (32 bit Debian does!)

I decided to install amd64 on my computer which has Asus M3 socket
motherboard, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3, chipset AMD 880G/SB850, and onboard
gigabit lan controller, Realtek® 8111E.

I installed 32 bit Debian using netinstall some days ago without too
many problems (see my post with subject Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 (was:Re:
AM3 socket Asus M4A87TD EVO ...).

But today when I booted my USB stick to install amd64 Debian, the
installer failed to detect my network card. Boot disk was created using
the two step procedure listed here (Squeeze section):

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/InstallUsingStandardInstaller

I also tried different boot.img.gz and net installer from the following
sites:

for boot image:
http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-amd64/current/images/hd-media/
(file date is 17:58 26-06-10)
http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/installer-amd64/current/images/hd-media/
(file date is 22:43 10-07-10)

for net installer iso:
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/squeeze_di_alpha1/amd64/iso-cd/ (file
date is 17-Feb-2010 23:05)
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/amd64/iso-cd/
(file date is 13-Jul-2010 17:11)

So, the 32 bit installer worked on my motherboard but amd64 bit
installer fails to see the network card. Is there something I am missing
here?

Thanks.