Old 07-13-2010, 04:24 PM
T o n g

Default Photo time are wrong

Hi,

I use to get correct file time for my photos from my digital camera. But
recently they are all wrong now, shifting by about 3 hours.

The camera is the same. Something get changed on Debian side? How can I
fix it? (photos are from mounted SD card via SD card reader).

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 07-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:24:09 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> I use to get correct file time for my photos from my digital camera. But
> recently they are all wrong now, shifting by about 3 hours.

You mean that the files of the FAT32 based filesystem SD card are being
time-mangled?

Have you tested...:

1/ Another SD card?
2/ Mounting the SD card in another computer?
3/ Checking the battery of the DSC?

Just out of curiosity, the shifted time is backward (-3 hours) or forward
(+3 hours)?

> The camera is the same. Something get changed on Debian side? How can I
> fix it? (photos are from mounted SD card via SD card reader).

I cannot guess how the OS could be making noise here :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Bob McGowan

On 07/13/2010 09:24 AM, T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use to get correct file time for my photos from my digital camera. But
> recently they are all wrong now, shifting by about 3 hours.
>
> The camera is the same. Something get changed on Debian side? How can I
> fix it? (photos are from mounted SD card via SD card reader).
>
> Thanks

The first thing that comes to mind is, did you recently change batteries
in the camera? Some cameras lose their memory and need to be reset,
though this is usually from a 'default' that is off by more than a few
hours.

Another possibility is the batteries are getting low on power?

In any case, you can use 'exiftool -CreateDate file.ext' to get the date
and time the camera was set to when the photo was taken. If this
doesn't match the values you expect to see, either, then the problem is
in the camera. If it is what you expect and it doesn't match the date
and time *on the SD card*, there's something odd going on with the
camera. If the two dates match but the value after copying/moving to a
Linux fs (presuming you attempted to preserve, or the tool you use
preserves, the file modification time), then something is amiss on the
Linux side. You may need to verify your locale settings.

If you find the date displayed by exiftool is OK, you can use exiftool
to rename the files, based on the date and time of creation or even have
it set the modification times (a la 'touch').

--
Bob McGowan

Old 07-13-2010, 11:32 PM
T o n g

Thanks for everyone who replied.

I thought it was a known problem. Ok, details follows.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:55:50 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> I use to get correct file time for my photos from my digital camera.
>> But recently they are all wrong now, shifting by about 3 hours.
>
> You mean that the files of the FAT32 based filesystem SD card are being
> time-mangled?
>
> Have you tested...:
>
> 1/ Another SD card?
> 2/ Mounting the SD card in another computer? 3/ Checking the battery of
> the DSC?
>
> Just out of curiosity, the shifted time is backward (-3 hours) or
> forward (+3 hours)?

$ jhead img_2937.jpg | grep -i date
File date : 2010:07:12 08:13:26
Date/Time : 2010:07:12 12:13:27

The "Date/Time" on the Exif info is pretty much accurate. It reflect when
I took the picture. This means the problem has nothing to do with the
camera, or changing of the battery.

The "File date" is actually what I see from the file system:

$ ls -l img_2937.jpg
-rw-rw-r-- 1 tong tong 410467 2010-07-12 08:13 img_2937.jpg

which is what I meant, wrong. The shifted time is backward -4 hours.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 07-14-2010, 04:32 AM
Dave Thayer

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 04:24:09PM +0000, T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use to get correct file time for my photos from my digital camera. But
> recently they are all wrong now, shifting by about 3 hours.
>
> The camera is the same. Something get changed on Debian side? How can I
> fix it? (photos are from mounted SD card via SD card reader).

You could be getting bit by Bug #577597 - "system with UTC=yes in
/etc/default/rcS mounts FAT USB disk with wrong file time". The bug
report contains the following work-around, as root run these commands:

hwclock --systohc --utc
hwclock --hctosys --utc

My rockboxed ipod shows files with timestamps off by the time
difference between localtime and UTC, as if the tz=UTC option was
selected in mount, and when I apply the work-around in the bug report
things are straightened out.

HTH
dt
--
Dave Thayer | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
Denver, Colorado USA | author is right there, in the room talking to

Old 07-14-2010, 07:23 AM
Camaleón

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 23:32:11 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:55:50 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Just out of curiosity, the shifted time is backward (-3 hours) or
>> forward (+3 hours)?
>
> $ jhead img_2937.jpg | grep -i date
> File date : 2010:07:12 08:13:26
> Date/Time : 2010:07:12 12:13:27

Mmm, just guessing here, but if you are reading the EXIF information
(static metadata) and is wrong it should be displayed the same (wrong)
when you attach the SD card into another OS. Have you tested in another
computer/OS? If so, what result are you getting?

> The "Date/Time" on the Exif info is pretty much accurate. It reflect
> when I took the picture. This means the problem has nothing to do with
> the camera, or changing of the battery.
>
> The "File date" is actually what I see from the file system:
>
> $ ls -l img_2937.jpg
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 tong tong 410467 2010-07-12 08:13 img_2937.jpg
>
> which is what I meant, wrong. The shifted time is backward -4 hours.
>
> Any ideas?

Make a copy of one of the images with a wrong "File date" EXIF tag and
try to correct it with "jhead", then check again with "ls -l".

Also, review the camera's timezone offset setting.

Again, does this happens with any media files stored in other devices or
just with DSC images?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón