Old 07-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Michael Tsang

Default No lvm2 volumes after kernel update

On Monday 12 July 2010 17:53:56 Konstantin Kletschke wrote:
> Well the update itself did run very well, grub2 loads new kernel and
> ramdisk and iniiates to start userspace. There pvscan detects no
> physical volumes anymore all of a sudden. Booting the old kernel again
> runs well and the bos comes up and pvscan works and the logical volumes
> are mounted and working in the end.
>
> The old kernel is a debian packge:
>
> 2.6.17-2-686 #1 SMP Thu Aug 31 12:53:18 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> The new kernel is also debian package:
>
> linux-image-2.6.32-5-686
>
> Additional the versions of the following packages may be relevant:
>
> lvm2: 2.02.39-7
> libdevmapper1.02.1: 2:1.02.27-4
> udev: 0.098-2
>
> Kind Regards, Konsti
Are you using the kernel to autodetect the LVM volumes (using type 0xfd). It
does not handle the volumes well, about a week ago, it *corrupted* my array
because it couldn't distinguish the superblocks of /dev/sdb and /dev/sdb1.
Finally, I used userspace tools (mdadm) to detect my array by specifying the
arrays in /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf

Also, did you specify any of /dev/hd? in /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf? The new kernel
treats IDE devices as SATA devices so you will use /dev/sd? to specify the
hard disks.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:34 PM

Sorry, this is not a reply but in initial message to the list.

> Are you using the kernel to autodetect the LVM volumes (using type
0xfd). It

Well I use only the kernel modules (dm_mod) and let userspace do its
stuff,
mainly debian's /etc/init.d/lvm does the job well. It relies on pvscan
detecting the volumes.

There never was mdadm or md on this box, only one single disk /dev/sdb
containing no partition table but the physical volume.

> Also, did you specify any of /dev/hd? in /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf? The new
kernel

As said, no mdadm tools on this machine. I actually have a
/etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
(its contens is "DEVICE partitions" only), but it is not owned by any
package.

> treats IDE devices as SATA devices so you will use /dev/sd? to specify
the
> hard disks.

I thought of that already, but the disks are SATA so the were named sda
and sdb any
time.

Konsti

PS.: Pleas CC me, since I am not on this List.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Konstantin Kletschke

Hello!

I found out the kernel was too new for debian stable udev
system. Lenny's udev needs

CONFIG_DEPRECATED_SYSFS
CONFIG_DEPRECATED_SYSFS_V2

enabled and the most actual stable kernel package has this enabled
(2.6.26-2-686) so I could update, even completely remotely, to this
version. Sadly updating udev from 0.096 to 0.125 yielded in inaccessible
system after that.

On console I saw the existance of 99-persistent-net.rules as the error.
Deleting and reboot made my ethernet from eth1 to eth0 back and
gave me my box back. What is this fucking file for?

Kind Regards, Konsti

PS.: Pleas CC me, since I am not on this List.