Old 07-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Alan Chandler

Default USB memory stick plugged in - mouse stops

I have a USB mouse and keyboard both plugged through an external hub and
connected into a USB port at the back of my computer

Separately I have a USB port out of the front of the computer in which
(via a short extension lead) I am plugging in a memory stick. (I am
saying this because I think it is unlikely they are connected to the
same USB chip on the motherboard).

I have had this arrangement for at least a year, probably several.

I am running Squeeze (mostly - sources.list show Squeeze, but about 4
months ago this machine ran Sid, so it is possible some packages remain
installed from that time which haven't been updated).

In the last few days, I have noticed that when I plug in the memory
stick my mouse stops responding. Not completely, but it is very jerky
and is almost not responding at all to movement. Most times a click
doesn't work, although it does occassionally. As soon as I unplug the
stick it works again. Unmounting the (auto) mounted stick does NOT make
the mouse work again.

This happens about 98% of the time - just very occassionally it all
seems fine.

I've looked using htop whilst this happens, and I can't see any process
suddenly take all the CPU time or anything like that - indeed except for
a blip at the beginning CPU time is averaging out at about 5%.

I say this happened in the past couple of days - but in reality it may
have been within a couple of weeks before that. A couple of weeks back
I set my CPU to go to sleep when it wasn't being used for a couple of
hours - but this seemed to frequently stop the mouse and keyboard from
responding at all when I came out of that sleep mode, so two days ago I
turned this off. It was then when I started to notice this phenomenon.

Any ideas on how to track down what this problem might be.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Archive: 4C3AE3D4.8030009@chandlerfamily.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4C3AE3D4.8030009@chandlerfamily.org.uk