Old 07-12-2010, 04:17 AM
"H.S."

Default Why does not update-grub detect Fedora 13 installation?

On a newly installed Debian Testing system, I installed Fedora 13 in a
partition but chose not to install the boot loaded since I wanted to use
Debian's boot loader for all OSes.

Now when I do update-grub in Debian, it detects all OSes installed in
the hard drives connected to the system, but does not detect Fedora 13.
I had to manually add the stanza lines for F13 to get its option in the
grub boot list.

I am using LVM. F13 is installed with / mounted on /dev/mapper/vg1-lv8
and its boot on /dev/sdc5. Update-grub appears to miss detecting the
kernels in /dev/sdc5 altogether. Any idea why is that?

Thanks.

ever having been read.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:08 PM
"H.S."

On a newly installed Debian Testing system, I installed Fedora 13 in a
different partition but chose not to install the boot loaded since I
wanted to use Debian's boot loader for all OSes.

Now when I do update-grub in Debian, it detects all OSes installed in
the hard drives connected to the system (Windows XP, Windows 7, Fedor
9), but does not detect Fedora 13. I had to manually add the stanza
lines for F13 to get its option in the grub boot list.

I am using LVM. F13 is installed with its / mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg1-lv8 and its boot on /dev/sdc5. Update-grub appears to
miss detecting the kernels in /dev/sdc5 altogether. Any idea why is
that? Is there is a bug in Fedora 13?

Thanks.

ever having been read.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 00:17:53 -0400, H.S. wrote:

(...)

> Now when I do update-grub in Debian, it detects all OSes installed in
> the hard drives connected to the system, but does not detect Fedora 13.
> I had to manually add the stanza lines for F13 to get its option in the
> grub boot list.
>
> I am using LVM. F13 is installed with / mounted on /dev/mapper/vg1-lv8
> and its boot on /dev/sdc5. Update-grub appears to miss detecting the
> kernels in /dev/sdc5 altogether. Any idea why is that?

I don't know so much how the "new beast" (GRUB2) works, but if "man
update-grub¹" is right, it will detect all the "vmlinuz" files that are
under the "/boot" partition, not sure if this condition fits in your case.

I guess there are still situations where a manual edition of GRUB2 menu
is required (i.e., bootloader chainloading).

¹ http://man.he.net/man8/update-grub

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-12-2010, 04:24 PM
"H.S."

On 12/07/10 12:15 PM, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 00:17:53 -0400, H.S. wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>> Now when I do update-grub in Debian, it detects all OSes installed in
>> the hard drives connected to the system, but does not detect Fedora 13.
>> I had to manually add the stanza lines for F13 to get its option in the
>> grub boot list.
>>
>> I am using LVM. F13 is installed with / mounted on /dev/mapper/vg1-lv8
>> and its boot on /dev/sdc5. Update-grub appears to miss detecting the
>> kernels in /dev/sdc5 altogether. Any idea why is that?
>
> I don't know so much how the "new beast" (GRUB2) works, but if "man
> update-grub¹" is right, it will detect all the "vmlinuz" files that are
> under the "/boot" partition, not sure if this condition fits in your case.

I have F13's kernel on a partition mounted as /boot2 (primary partition,
not in LVM) in my Debian's fstab. However, update-grub works on all
other OSes I have on my hard drives, include Windows XP, Windows 7 and
Fedora 9, and those partitions are not even mounted.

ever having been read.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Suvayu Ali

On Monday 12 July 2010 08:08 AM, H.S. wrote:
> I am using LVM. F13 is installed with its / mounted on
> /dev/mapper/vg1-lv8 and its boot on /dev/sdc5. Update-grub appears to
> miss detecting the kernels in /dev/sdc5 altogether. Any idea why is
> that? Is there is a bug in Fedora 13?

I think its because grub 1 doesn't have LVM support. If you need LVM
support install grub2.

--
Suvayu

Old 07-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 12:24:44 -0400, H.S. wrote:

> On 12/07/10 12:15 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> I don't know so much how the "new beast" (GRUB2) works, but if "man
>> update-grub¹" is right, it will detect all the "vmlinuz" files that are
>> under the "/boot" partition, not sure if this condition fits in your
>> case.
>
> I have F13's kernel on a partition mounted as /boot2 (primary partition,
> not in LVM) in my Debian's fstab. However, update-grub works on all
> other OSes I have on my hard drives, include Windows XP, Windows 7 and
> Fedora 9, and those partitions are not even mounted.

I think windows OS falls apart (as there are no "vmlinuz" files to
detect) but fedora9 should be the same case than Fedora13, provided that
is also located in a different disk.

When you run the "update-grub" command, it writes a bad entry for
fedora13 or just writes nothing?

Also, take a look into the bugs that have already filled for grub-pc:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=grub-pc

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-12-2010, 05:16 PM
"H.S."

On 12/07/10 01:09 PM, Camaleón wrote:

> I think windows OS falls apart (as there are no "vmlinuz" files to
> detect) but fedora9 should be the same case than Fedora13, provided that
> is also located in a different disk.
>
> When you run the "update-grub" command, it writes a bad entry for
> fedora13 or just writes nothing?

Nothing at all. It plain ignores F13. My manually entered lines in
/etc/grub.d/40_custom work though.
################################################## #########
menuentry "Fedora release 13 (on /dev/mapper/vg1-lv8)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext4
set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set
b40b5b7f-6999-4a12-9d3b-62e0fc892a40
linux /vmlinuz-2.6.33.6-147.fc13.x86_64 root=/dev/mapper/vg1-lv8
ro quiet
initrd /initramfs-2.6.33.6-147.fc13.x86_64.img
boot
}
################################################## #########

> Also, take a look into the bugs that have already filled for grub-pc:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=grub-pc

I will.

Thanks.

ever having been read.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:20 PM
"H.S."

On 12/07/10 12:50 PM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Monday 12 July 2010 08:08 AM, H.S. wrote:
>> I am using LVM. F13 is installed with its / mounted on
>> /dev/mapper/vg1-lv8 and its boot on /dev/sdc5. Update-grub appears to
>> miss detecting the kernels in /dev/sdc5 altogether. Any idea why is
>> that? Is there is a bug in Fedora 13?
>>

> I think its because grub 1 doesn't have LVM support. If you need LVM
> support install grub2.

Yes, that is the one I am using:
grub-pc 1.98+20100706-1 GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (PC/BIOS
version)
(sorry I skipped mentioning this earlier).

Note that boot partitions for both distros (F13 and Debian) are on
non-LVM partitions precisely because even grub2 may not handle LMV boot
partitions properly ... not sure about this though so just wanted to be
cautious. Debian's /boot is on /dev/sdc3 and Fedora 13's /boot is on
/dev/sdc5. Their other partitions (/, /usr, /home) all are on LVM volumes.

ever having been read.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-07-12 19:09 +0200, Camaleón wrote:

> Also, take a look into the bugs that have already filled for grub-pc:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=grub-pc

s/grub-pc/os-prober/

Foreign operating systems are (supposed to be) detected by os-prober, so
if Fedora 13 does not show up, this is a bug in os-prober.

Sven

Old 07-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 19:22:29 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:

> On 2010-07-12 19:09 +0200, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Also, take a look into the bugs that have already filled for grub-pc:
>>
>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=grub-pc
>
> s/grub-pc/os-prober/
>
> Foreign operating systems are (supposed to be) detected by os-prober, so
> if Fedora 13 does not show up, this is a bug in os-prober.

Mmm, I don't even have that installed on my system (lenny) :-?

Is it a required package for GRUB (legacy or 2) to detect the available
systems?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón