Old 07-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Jochen Schulz

Default basic installation question x 2

Jim Pazarena:

> (a) is it possible to avoid/cancel the initial request for a user name
> (other than root)?
> My goal is to have an install routine which _after_ the base install
> creates all the users I need, possibly in non-default locations.

Debian-installer has the concept "pre-seeding". I am sure that lets you
create user during install.

> (b) is there any benefit to loading all the DVD's? Compared to DVD1
> and then grabbing software via the 'net?

No. Actually, you don't even need a full DVD. You can get away with a
netinst image (<200MB) or even a business card image (<50MB).

> The part I don't like about all DVDs is that once you do that, the
> apt-get tells you to "insert disk X", which is a nuisance.

At least after installation, you can just remove the DVD lines from
/etc/apt/sources.list and you will never be asked to insert any disks
anymore.

J.
--
I hate myself but have no clear idea why.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 07-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Rob Owens

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 01:32:26PM -0700, Jim Pazarena wrote:
> I'm new to Debian, and would like to give it serious consideration.
> I'm from a FreeBSD camp, so the differences are enough to
> challenge me.
>
> Two questions.
>
> (a) is it possible to avoid/cancel the initial request for a user name
> (other than root)?
> My goal is to have an install routine which _after_ the base install
> creates all the users I need, possibly in non-default locations.

Ubuntu can do this. They call it an "OEM install". It's part of the
alternate install CD. Maybe you could find out how they do it. Should
be similar to do it on Debian.

> (b) is there any benefit to loading all the DVD's? Compared to DVD1
> and then grabbing software via the 'net?
> The part I don't like about all DVDs is that once you do that, the
> apt-get tells you to "insert disk X", which is a nuisance.

Most people, I think, use the netinst cd. That's what I'd recommend.

-Rob

Old 07-12-2010, 02:23 AM
Bob Proulx

Jim Pazarena wrote:
> (a) is it possible to avoid/cancel the initial request for a user name
> (other than root)?

Sure. Just don't create one. The debian-installer asks if you would
like to create a user but you can skip that step. It is optional.

And then as the others said it is possible to use preseeding and so
forth to automate things. Also look at FAI (fully automated install)
for one industrial strength solution.

> My goal is to have an install routine which _after_ the base install
> creates all the users I need, possibly in non-default locations.

I do that all of the time. No problem.

Bob